So I employed a Thai plumber ...

Crossy

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

Just for the record, as one is here fitting out my bathrooms and tank room. The non-existent plumber is a bit of a myth. 

I was really referring to our local area. The BIL is a licenced electrician so knows all of the people who work in trades around here. He cannot recommend anyone who is a trained plumber so we have to put up with the handyman.

I'm 67 but still do everything myself. I can still get in tight spaces but it can get hot so only wear my boxers and have a fan behind me cooling me down.

Fitted a new lavatory for the first time a few months ago. Pretty easy and was glad I saved the money on a ' plumber '

• Like 1

I'm a qualified plumber with over 50 years experience. I worked on all types of plumbing work including housing, construction sites and even war ship construction. I had no tools with me at the time so I got a job done by a Thai "chancer." Never again after the stuff ups I had to fix.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I was really referring to our local area. The BIL is a licenced electrician so knows all of the people who work in trades around here. He cannot recommend anyone who is a trained plumber so we have to put up with the handyman.

I didn’t read that .. but anyway, It’s not the first time I have heard that there are no plumbers in Thailand, hopefully if someone is building a place then they will ignore their contractors claims and search one out. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I'm 67 but still do everything myself. I can still get in tight spaces but it can get hot so only wear my boxers and have a fan behind me cooling me down.

Fitted a new lavatory for the first time a few months ago. Pretty easy and was glad I saved the money on a ' plumber '

You were lucky the lavatory outlet was at the correct distance from the wall 300-305mm. Our handyman replaced two old bowls and the outlets were at the wrong distance so he had to butcher the old outlet and do a makeshift connection.

67 yo was a long time ago.

On 10/15/2024 at 5:27 PM, Crossy said:

Yes, I know this is the DIY forum 🙂

We started out with an occasional drip from the valve on the wall under our bathroom sink. It developed into more of a dribble so it was going to need sorting.

This is absolutely something I would fix myself but the space is tight and I'm not as young (or slim) as I was, so we got in a recommended "plumber".

The guys (three) rolled up on Saturday.

The Boss noted that our sink tap was actually a hot-n-cold mixer but hot was isolated (the tube had failed long ago), he asked if I would like the tap to be replaced and hot water restored to the sink. I like warm water to shave so I said yes (mistake number 1).

Off they went to get the parts.

A couple of hours (and nearly 10k Baht including parts) later the job was done.

Excellent!

Then!

Later in the evening Madam said that the floor was full of water!!

We had a definite gush and it was from up near the actual tap.

Turned off the water at the wall and it stopped, phew!

I was less than happy (ok totally pi55ed off).

Madam called the plumber and sent them the video. Sorry cannot come until Tuesday!

We had warm water at the sink so no real problem although cleaning your teeth with warm water is pretty yuk.

Tuesday arrived, as did the guys.

I'd assumed that they simply hadn't fully tightened the tubes against the O-rings and it would be a 5-minute job.

After an hour they determined that the new tap from Thaiwatsadu was faulty.

So, they went and got a replacement.

It seems Thaiwatsadu wouldn't replace it as faulty, it's not clear why. The reason is never going to get clarified although I suspect that failure to RTFM is in the mix somewhere ("I wonder what these black rubber things are, oh well we don't need them").

So, they've just left, no leaks at present!!

We shall see ...

Ah, yes . . .  'the new tap from Thaiwatsadu was faulty.'   Dollars to donuts, it was not faulty, the installation was.  We just finished building a new house.  When the plumbers installed the outdoor shower, it did not work.  Water came out of the shower and then didn't.  Brand new shower, supposedly 'faulty'.  No, it wasn't, but bought a new one anyway.  Likely problem, the initial water was full of debris and clogged up the shower when the water was first turned on and ran through it. 

5 identical bum guns installed in the 5 bathrooms, 3 or 4 leaked.  'Faulty'.  (If I had ten cents for every bum gun I've had to replace in the 20some properties we've had I'd be rich but still cursing the damn things.)  Back to Boonthavorn to have them checked.  Nothing wrong with them.  Reinstalled, not leaking--so far.  5 toilets installed, 3 leaked and various parts of them had to be reinstalled.  2 of the 4 identical indoor showers leaked and needed to be fixed.  At that point the 'plumber' had stopped calling all the hardware faulty.

On 10/15/2024 at 5:27 PM, Crossy said:

It seems Thaiwatsadu wouldn't replace it as faulty, it's not clear why. 

I buy all my plumbing from hafele. 

They stock most plumbing items. 

Watsadu for tools, paint and other hardware but never, ever plumbing. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1