Windows 10 support ends in a year . . .

BigStar

Doom I think is my all time favourite retro game... I played it when it was the newest cutting edge state of the art masterpiece ( it still is a masterpiece)

with a soundblaster card and set of speakers or headphones  made for some jump out of your set hair-raising moments..I loved it so much I bought the I and II box set

on 3.5 inch "floppy discs"

11 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

risk running an unpatched operating system with no security updates... - not a great idea if you're connecting to the internet with it.

I ran w7 up to a few months ago with no problems and even logged in to secure US government sites without any security issues. It’s how the os is configured and not baiting oneself in shady practices.

11 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

Update to Windows 11

No, absolutely not.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

I ran w7 up to a few months ago with no problems and even logged in to secure US government sites without any security issues. It’s how the os is configured and not baiting oneself in shady practices.

No, absolutely not.

I did not update to Windows 11 but bought a new laptop which came with Windows 11 it is absolutely useless 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

But my first post said they offer free upgrades

But the last upgrade for Win 10, to version 22H2, two years ago, was its final upgrade. And that final upgrade won't receive further updates, notably security updates, after Oct. 14, 2025.

Edited by BigStar

22 hours ago, johng said:

Doom I think is my all time favourite retro game... I played it when it was the newest cutting edge state of the art masterpiece ( it still is a masterpiece)

with a soundblaster card and set of speakers or headphones  made for some jump out of your set hair-raising moments..I loved it so much I bought the I and II box set

on 3.5 inch "floppy discs"

Still play Zork or Dungeons and Dragons as it was initially called, as well as Space Quest. I'm absolute crap at Computer Games, so one day I'll actually manage to finish one of them.

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

Time seems to be running out.

Your point?  You are much better off upgrading to Win11, even if they manage to prevent official updates, than staying on older Win10 software which is definitely not getting official updates.

Edited by shdmn

On 10/16/2024 at 4:18 PM, topt said:

Thanks. I have seen a number of articles recently as I think there is almost exactly a year to go.

I think I may be switching to Mint or similar for the majority of my usage depending on what other options surface in the interim.

This would be the best decision you could possibly make.

Mint is fine, I guess, if you prefer that flavor.

However, my heart belongs to OpenSUSE 15.6, and the lizard.

Either way is good, as long as it's Linux.

You will not be sorry for dumping Windows.

I dumped Windows, completely, several months ago.

Best decision I have made during the past 5 years.

Years ago, I used Linux, exclusively, and only installed Windows for a specific purpose.

Now, there seems to be no reason not to use OpenSUSE.

I am still extremely happy with it.

In fact, it just gets better...and....BETTER.

22 hours ago, still kicking said:

I did not update to Windows 11 but bought a new laptop which came with Windows 11 it is absolutely useless 

Same here, bought a Lenovo p3 with w11 and messed with it for about 45 minutes after debloating it then scraped it. Got w10 to behave like w7, everything operates as it should.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2024 at 8:28 AM, Skeptic7 said:

My ol' Lenovo Win10/i7 (8th or 9th gen)/16gb/1TB gaming laptop is struggling with speed...slow bootups & updates and lagging multitasking. Rendered unusable when Windows is updating.

That shouldn't be the case. 

What is the i7 processor name? 

On 10/17/2024 at 6:32 PM, still kicking said:

The trick is to buy slightly used from known nerd who has re-programmed junk out.

I did that ( $ 2500 laptop for $450 cash) and it works pretty well except EDGE sheeet uses lot of RAM and you can't delete nor stop it. It over heats now and then.

I only use Firefox and very little Chrome.

I miss Win98SE.

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

The trick is to buy slightly used from known nerd who has re-programmed junk out.

I did that ( $ 2500 laptop for $450 cash) and it works pretty well except EDGE sheeet uses lot of RAM and you can't delete nor stop it. It over heats now and then.

I only use Firefox and very little Chrome.

I miss Win98SE.

Buying slightly used is fine but it's easy enough to remove bloatware yourself.  No technical skills required.

Edited by shdmn