Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

COVER-PIC-2024-10-16T135259.png

A Thai taxi driver hit a foreign man on a zebra crossing at Phuket International Airport yesterday leaving the man with serious injuries.

The Phuket Times reported the accident yesterday, October 15.

“An airport taxi with a green registration plate hit a foreign tourist on a zebra crossing at Phuket Airport. The foreigner lost consciousness and had a bloody wound on his mouth.”

The news agency added a picture of the victim in the comments section, showing the foreign man lying unconscious on the ground, still wearing his backpack. A man in a red shirt and an off-duty airport worker were seen providing assistance to the foreign victim.

The condition of the foreign victim was not updated in the report. It was not clear whether the taxi driver was present at the scene after the accident or not.

The report drew criticism of the airport taxi driver, as accidents involving airport taxis with green registration plates have been reported multiple times before. This case seemed more serious as it occurred right on a zebra crossing. Thai netizens commented on the accident.

“It’s inside the airport! How fast was the taxi driver going that he couldn’t stop in time for the pedestrian?”

“Can’t understand why motorists don’t stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings. What are the crossings for?”

“Airport taxis cause trouble everywhere they go. They are selfish and drive without manners.”

“I always avoid airport taxis on the road. I’m scared.”

“This foreign man just arrived in Phuket. He might want to go home after his first step at the airport.”

“More than half of airport taxi drivers are terrible drivers.”

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Phuket Times ภูเก็ตไทม์

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-16

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 9
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's sad.

But obviously inside Thailand nobody will be surprised. TiT

Cynical, but very difficult to disagree. Pedestrian crossings on Phuket are simply strange patterns painted across some roads and serve no purpose other than to give the unwary a false sense of security - they do more harm than good!

There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he tried to do a runner.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he tried to do a runner.

I also have no doubt that he could be identified.

But I am not so sure what the powers in charge will do with that information. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

COVER-PIC-2024-10-16T135259.png

A Thai taxi driver hit a foreign man on a zebra crossing at Phuket International Airport yesterday leaving the man with serious injuries.

The Phuket Times reported the accident yesterday, October 15.

“An airport taxi with a green registration plate hit a foreign tourist on a zebra crossing at Phuket Airport. The foreigner lost consciousness and had a bloody wound on his mouth.”

The news agency added a picture of the victim in the comments section, showing the foreign man lying unconscious on the ground, still wearing his backpack. A man in a red shirt and an off-duty airport worker were seen providing assistance to the foreign victim.

The condition of the foreign victim was not updated in the report. It was not clear whether the taxi driver was present at the scene after the accident or not.

The report drew criticism of the airport taxi driver, as accidents involving airport taxis with green registration plates have been reported multiple times before. This case seemed more serious as it occurred right on a zebra crossing. Thai netizens commented on the accident.

“It’s inside the airport! How fast was the taxi driver going that he couldn’t stop in time for the pedestrian?”

“Can’t understand why motorists don’t stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings. What are the crossings for?”

“Airport taxis cause trouble everywhere they go. They are selfish and drive without manners.”

“I always avoid airport taxis on the road. I’m scared.”

“This foreign man just arrived in Phuket. He might want to go home after his first step at the airport.”

“More than half of airport taxi drivers are terrible drivers.”

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Phuket Times ภูเก็ตไทม์

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-16

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Feel very sorry for the pedestrian involved and driver should be jailed without a doubt and pay compensation for the man's emotional loss and pain , I'm a driver myself and like to remind citizens that you cross the road when the vehicle stops for you,  otherwise this happens pedestrians have right of way when on the crossing, in uk some crazy laws came about where citizens think they are superman or woman forcing drivers to stop even buses they need to be educated pedestrians need to be educated again or should not be so disrespectful by forcing drivers to stop 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Welcome to Phuket ....   we hope you'll enjoy our warm hospitality and wonderful taxis service. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe maybe not I did mention about England so maybe you a clue but had the pedestrian waited for the vehicle to stop it would of meant a lot of pain involved not happening in the 1st place,  when ever I travel my common sence always comes with me 

• Confused 1

Yes it is even though they are a pretty much caring society,80,% drivers don't care I think you got more chance of crossing the road away from a zebra and just putting your hand up as a gesture to thank the driver but obviously do that when the vehicle is far away not 5 feet away,  if thailand put speed camers up at traffic lights and pedestrian crossing they make a lot of honest money and protect society from careless driving and protect drivers from careless society 

• Confused 2

Hopefully common sence as pedestrians amd cyclists should avoid accidents,  I drive in lo London and will say the cyclists there are just asking to be knocked off their bikes to much right s leads to early death especially if a cyclist has right of way but driver ignores it the cyclists get hurt , I'd rather wait then get hit , I see a video a man clipped a coach that was travelling to close to him the cyclist got run over and body split in two , this is the videos should be shown to all sides about danger faced by all road users had the cyclist held back guess what would of happened,  being clever means avoid being hurt and hurting others 

• Confused 2

Trusted Thailand... remove his licence to drive a taxi.. for life.

Safety last

Certainly not for pedestrians to use in safety.

12 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Someone should inform the victim that not only can he file a criminal case against the driver but also a civil case resulting in his medical bills being paid plus any suffering or money lost due to incapacitation. He only needs to file a report. Hitting a pedestrian ar a zebra crossing is highly illegal. Injuring them even a little ups the driving crime level and monetary settlement will surely be awarded to the victim. 

good luck with that

10 minutes ago, node said:

Thais drivers are pathetic. Other places I have seen are, Venezuela, UAE, India, Vietnam. These places are the worst I have experience driving. Your experience might be different. 

Zebra crossing means nothing to them. 

In Canada, if a person put a foot on it you must bring your vehicle to a stop, otherwise, if spotted by a cop, you will be in front of a judge, most likely, your license gone for a few months, or for good. 

Worldwide, approaching one from far, I slow down, far out, as I know pedestrians has the right away. In Thailand if I see a pedestrian\s looking to cross one, I look in the rear and side mirrors to see who is coming and put on my hazard lights because, I know a Thai will kill a person trying to cross or hit me in the rear. Even if they see the hazard lights they still pass me, almost killing the person\s, but the people here, bow to me, look before passing my vehicle. Some Thais behind me blow their horns, but I do not care.

Thai drivers do not know what a Zebra crossing is, because they are not taught the Highway Code as we are in the Real world.  They dont know what it is.  Same as a red light on a Zebra crossing.......to them its a pretty light that shines 2 colours, red and green.  Take into account also, the Me, me, me attitude of Thais in general.  No one else matters........dont get in my way....especially if you are walking or on 2 wheels.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There must be a deterrent, there must be a reason for people to stop beyond courtesy, beyond respect, beyond doing it because it's the right thing to do. There has to be a threat of huge fines, or prison time, or confiscation of the vehicle. Somebody needs to step up and take charge and take care of this problem, or it will simply continue for decades into the future. 

I agree.

Here one more personal "adventure".

Yesterday in front of Immigration Chiangmai. My wife and I wanted to cross the street using the zebra crossing. A uninformed policeman offered us assistance and stopped the traffic for us. Not easy. Some motorbikes did not stop though the police tried to .

The other side of the street (dual carriage) we had to do alone (too far for the policeman?). Like hares running when it seems appropriate. 

After decades living here it's always exciting how reckless Thais are driving. (I suppose farangs also mingle with these potential killers on the streets)

before crossing any road,  I was always taught to look right, then left, then right again .....  and if it's clear then hurry across. 

did the pedestrian rush out when traffic was flowing  ?

did the taxi rush through and didn't see him on the crossing  ?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, nickmondo said:

Thailand is a nice please to live..........but my god, the drivers.......nuff said

That's why pedestrians infact everyone should be vigilant at zebra crossings but if common sence for yourself worth and not demand your pedestrian right you be on , downside is you may wait a long while , just read a comment about driver putting his hazard light on at zebra crossings it's good but have to worry about people think tour broken down and attempting to over take, I told my nephew of someone flashes you in a cat it mean don't cross or pull out,  that rules is silly and needs to be changed to , flash equals I acknowledge you so cross or pullout clears any doubts 

• Confused 1

This delves right into the entire system of the ease of  obtaining a driving license, the complete disregard for pedestrians, the lack of care and respect for other road users & traffic laws, and the ignorance of driving off when an accident has occurred.

So many accidents at padestrian crossings in thailand defies belief...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1