Short term volunteering; visas and work permits

Hi,

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English. The volunteering company has said it's ok to come over on the tourist visa or on a visa-exempt basis and not bother with a work permit. My understanding is that it is necesssary to have a volunteer visa and get a work permit, even for a few weeks. The company has said noone checks and not to worry about getting official paperwork. Does anyone have anyknowledge, experience or advice on this?

volunteering teaching English

Teach English for free? How noble of him!

As long as there're no money involved - otherwise WP and proper visa required. Don't try to outsmart local immigration

20 minutes ago, jnp73 said:

Hi,

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English. The volunteering company has said it's ok to come over on the tourist visa or on a visa-exempt basis and not bother with a work permit. My understanding is that it is necesssary to have a volunteer visa and get a work permit, even for a few weeks. The company has said noone checks and not to worry about getting official paperwork. Does anyone have anyknowledge, experience or advice on this?

From the 'tinterweb.......but someone on here might be more clued up...

Working for free in Thailand can still violate immigration laws, even if you are not being paid. Thailand has strict regulations regarding work for foreign nationals, and “work” is broadly defined. According to the Thai authorities, “work” includes any activity where one engages in an occupation, trade, or profession, whether compensated or not. This means even volunteering or unpaid work could be considered illegal if you don’t have the appropriate visa or work permit.

Foreign nationals wishing to engage in any type of work in Thailand typically need a work permit, regardless of whether the work is paid or unpaid. If someone works without the necessary permit, they could face legal penalties, including fines, deportation, or being blacklisted from re-entering Thailand.

To stay within the law, it’s essential to ensure that you have the proper visa and work authorization before engaging in any work, including voluntary or charitable activities.

43 minutes ago, jnp73 said:

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English.

"Few weeks" in other words coming most likely visa exempt and wants to work in a school. 

Surely you are aware of how insane that plan is.

Wouldn't have near any of my kids (if I had any) 

Consider google "Soi dog foundation" located Phuket.

They have easy options for volunteering..

Minimum period 2 days. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"Few weeks" in other words coming most likely visa exempt and wants to work in a school. 

Surely you are aware of how insane that plan is.

Wouldn't have near any of my kids (if I had any) 

Hi. I'm not checking the sanity of the plan but the legality. Do you have advice on that?

This may not answer your questions but it shows what goes on.

A friend come to Thailand every year for three months.

He 'assists' at a local International school. ie he sits with the kids, one on one and they read to him from an English book.

He corrects their pronunciation, explains words and so on.

He does this for one or two days a week and sits somewhere away from the classroom.

He is not teaching. He is listening and helping.

He has done this for many years. No WP needed.

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

He corrects their pronunciation, explains words and so on.

Followed later by ...

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

He is not teaching. He is listening and helping.

Are you serious. 

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

This may not answer your questions but it shows what goes on.

Probably moreso in the boonies.

I just find it amazing that a farang can "volunteer" any assistance that deals with children ie schools in any role.