Where to Buy Mont-Clair Red Wine by the Box

henrik2000

23 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, where can I buy Mont-Clair red wine by the box (3 or 5 liters) in Jomtien (preferred) or Pattaya? (I believe not at 7-11 or Lotus Express?)

Can I compare prices online? Is there online ordering and home delivery? ('d love delivery to condo reception, don't mind reputation drop.)

If you recommend certain wine-compatible nibbles from that store, I'd be interested too.

No Alcohol for Sale 2- 5 PM?

Once I wanted to buy a 5 L box of red wine in a huge hi-way side mall near Phetchaburi. But the cashier could not scan it. She looked a the box puzzled and asked me, "This, na? Alcohol?" And they were not allowed to sell alcohol between 2 – 5 pm. She put the box aside.

I've seen this enforced in SOME supermarkets and small stores, while others ignore it obviously (incl small western supermarkets in Jomtien). If you do recommend supermarkets – are you aware if they do NOT sell alcohol 2 – 5 pm?

Other Red Wine Brands?

I find Mont Clair still okayish, and last year the boxes were much cheaper per liter than regular or half bottles. I'll have glass bottles/pitchers to keep the wine for the next evening.

I'd try other affordable red wine brands preferredly by the box (stay 3 months), but of course would love to sample a bottle or glass first. My preferred grapes in the west are Primitivo, Sangiovese, Nero d'Avola and some other Italians, NOT Merlot, Cabernet-Sauvignon (meaning I wouldn't drink Mont-Clair in the west).

I have sampled eminently drinkable Thai wines in Khao Yai from PB Valley, Khao Yai Winery, Alcidini, but can't afford them on a regular basis. Foreign tipples seem so much cheaper, otherwise I'd love the Thai wines. (Hash cookies, whiskey, beer no option either.)

Thanks!

Makro, Villa Market, Tops to name but a few. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2024 at 1:18 PM, Will B Good said:

Yellowtail,Penfold's et al are not priced much above Mont-Clair and taste much better.

Isn't Mont-Clair a fruit wine?

Aren't grapes part of the fruit family?

On 10/20/2024 at 2:00 PM, hotandsticky said:

At Makro you used to be able to buy outside those hours. I don't know if that is still the case.

NO, not even 0% beer.

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Hahaha fair point......I do prefer 'all grape wine' as opposed to the stuff topped off with Ribena.

Does it really matter, as long as the ABV is correct.

Actually, I have made vino using Ribena in the past, and it was quite OK.

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, KannikaP said:

Does it really matter, as long as the ABV is correct.

To my refined and somewhat delicate palate.....yes!

So you are just as happy with a $2 dollar bottle of wine as a $20 bottle.....cheap date. 

36 minutes ago, Mark Hopkins said:

Makro only supply Thai owned registered businesses. 

In Thailand, anyone can shop at Makro without needing a formal membership. Historically, Makro operated as a wholesale store primarily for business owners, requiring a membership for access. However, this policy has relaxed significantly over time.

Currently, you can enter Makro and shop without being a member, though some advantages are offered to those who do have a membership. For instance, members can receive full VAT receipts for tax purposes and get access to promotional offers. If you do wish to obtain a membership, it typically requires providing a passport and proof of a Thai address, but there’s no cost associated with it   .

Overall, while having a membership can provide benefits, it’s not necessary to shop at Makro, making it accessible to a wider audience  .

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

To my refined and somewhat delicate palate.....yes!

So you are just as happy with a $2 dollar bottle of wine as a $20 bottle.....cheap date. 

2 x Nuboon concentrated grape juice @ Bht 720, 6 litres water, 1/2 packet of Lalvin 1118, ferment for 1 week, decant into demijohn, with or without oak chips. After 2 months put into beer bottles + crown cap. After the first swig you wouldn't know the difference. 555

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

2 x Nuboon concentrated grape juice @ Bht 720, 6 litres water, 1/2 packet of Lalvin 1118, ferment for 1 week, decant into demijohn, with or without oak chips. After 2 months put into beer bottles + crown cap. After the first swig you wouldn't know the difference. 555

On it.....555

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1