Thai Officials Face Probe Over Fatal School Bus Inferno

webfact

Due to the subject itself I am not taking any bets on it - but rest assured that this story will disappear like all the other "inconveniences". 

The education minister should be reprimanded to instruct no school excursions anymore. Reason behind is, that his own brother was Transport Minister 2019-2023 and hence is the top banana to face the music. Next is the responsible desks in the Ministry of Transport for not blowing any whistles, the various branches of the Department of Land Transport issuing roadworthiness certificates to those coffins on wheels. Then take the bus owners and operators to the cleaners and don't forget those countless garages which did the conversions. 

Fill the jails to the rim, fine them until they scream of pain and use this money for educational purposes of what proper rules are and the compensation of medical bills etc. Revoke transportation licenses for those bus owners and operators for life, publish their names and photos and then only I might start believing all that manure which fills the dailies here with all those "governmental endeavours to the betterment of the conditions of its people" - including bus transportation. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

Some pooing of pants I suspect. Let’s see how far this progresses before it’s brushed under the rug. 

I am sure someone will have to put up to the alter .. you can’t have that big and visual of a disaster .. with all the associated public outrage and not have someone taken to task. 

It’s fair to argue who really is responsible, but in the end, someone is going to have be “the one” 

• Agree 1

THe sad thing about this "probe" is it seems to be concentrating on this single incident - what needs to be examines to the WHOLE system.  

It requires massive reform and even constitutional reform as it brings into question the functioning of institutions like the police and civil service - such basics as how they see their roles.

9 minutes ago, new2here said:

I am sure someone will have to put up to the alter .. you can’t have that big and visual of a disaster .. with all the associated public outrage and not have someone taken to task. 

It’s fair to argue who really is responsible, but in the end, someone is going to have be “the one” 

Scapegoating and the "blame game" as ever avoids the real issues.

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Scapegoating and the "blame game" as ever avoids the real issues.

i don’t disagree.. unfortunately given the depth and breadth of the investigation (as reported) there’s lots of “room” for a suitable person/people - to be found guilty of dereliction of duty if you will.  

55 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No doubt that some people that are culpable, along with a few additional scapegoats, will be made an extreme example of, while this terrible incident is fresh in the collective memory; however, I very much doubt if these examples will do anything to change the culture of corruption that gave birth to this appalling tragedy.

- Someone in a position of authority at the school was responsible for hiring the bus company - was any due diligence carried out checking service records etc ? or did they just go for the cheapest option, no questions asked. 

- Either a valid inspection was carried out (every 6 months) and the modifications were made after the latest inspection - in which case the owner is responsible. 

- Or, a valid inspection was carried out, but that inspection was 'faked' or 'poorly carried out' and missed the retrofitted tanks (or was paid to ignore them) - in which case, inspectors and owner is responsible. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- Someone in a position of authority at the school was responsible for hiring the bus company - was any due diligence carried out checking service records etc ? or did they just go for the cheapest option, no questions asked. 

- Either a valid inspection was carried out (every 6 months) and the modifications were made after the latest inspection - in which case the owner is responsible. 

- Or, a valid inspection was carried out, but that inspection was 'faked' or 'poorly carried out' and missed the retrofitted tanks (or was paid to ignore them) - in which case, inspectors and owner is responsible. 

As an ex secondary teacher, I cannot agree that a person at the school should be held responsible for the selection of the bus company. Nor do I imagine that a teacher would be given any details of the age of the bus or fuel system used. Maybe the education department could appoint people with some expertise and time to devote to short listing bus companies that meet minimum requirements, but to suggest that an individual at the school is at fault is I think extremely unfair. 

Can I also suggest that a number of videos I have seen online of Thai school children in buses suggests practices not conducive to safe transport of children - dancing and standing in the aisles and singing loudly would do little for the concentration of the driver on the task at hand. Thai children need be sat in seats and remain there for the course of the journey.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the probe is delving into the possible negligence and complicity of government officials.

"possible"? How about the "obvious". It's not possible, it is obvious. The only question is: Who exactly are the people whose heads need to roll?

various state bodies could face legal action for their roles in the tragedy.

Nobody cares if a "state body" would face legal action. Not a whit. Specific heads need to roll. Personal responsibility is the only way this crap will ever end.

officials responsible for permitting conditions that led to the incident may be held accountable.

🤣😂🤣😂
If you believe that, DM me about a bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn!
Unless the "official" is some lowly inspector at some bus inspection place....
Not that I think inspectors are lowly in their person or even position. I'm speaking in relative terms, compared to the levels this needs to go on a genocidal hunt for. (I shouldn't need to explain, but with the insane level of woke idiocy these days, I should mention that I am speaking with metaphoric hyperbole and not calling for violence)

specific details are withheld to preserve the integrity of the investigation

Like major CYA operations....
"integrity"? I don't think they know what that word even means.

As investigations continue, the focus remains firmly on holding accountable those whose actions, or lack thereof, might have contributed to a preventable tragedy

Yeah... investigations continue... I recall particular "investigations" that have continued so vigorously, for years, regarding a wealthy heir killing a policeman, all the while he dodges justice as he enjoys his elite lifestyle hopping around the globe to anywhere except Thailand.... yep the investigations continue...

NOTHING is to be believed until these corrupt criminals masquerading as elite and important people are removed from society and spend some years in prison.

Edited by Sig
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, new2here said:

Thaksin is the person who called for all the buses to use Compressed Gas as he had shares in the companies providing the products. This tragedy would not have occurred if he hadn't been so intent on lining his pockets and bugger the consequences. Thaksin is at the pinnacle of responsibility for this tragedy and must be held responsible.