Expats in Pattaya nasty ?

Talking about stinkers, i was in an agogo Friday, walked in towards the sofa, a stink of BO hit me like a wall as i approached, a large european guy was there, looked Russian, it was like a forcefield of BO, what a stinker, i left quickly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have studied & analysed that the expats living particularly in Pattaya Jomtien don't like each other 

I'm not talking about the two week tourists in Soi Bukhao who are mostly very friendly bunch I'm talking about the old expat living in Pattaya particularly Jomtien 

I was in this Friendship supermarket today when I overheard a big old European guy in his accent I think German,say "oh the smell is overpowering," I heard this from another aisle and then he said it again "oh the smell " 

I went to investigate to see a big fat European guy with I presume his Thai wife metres away from a elderly disheveled old farang wearing what looked like old clothes with a t shirt and long shorts which were ripped 

You all must be nice to each other in Pattaya,I'm not talking about the 2 week tourist I'm talking about the old expats who seem to either hate the 2 week tourist or are jealous of each other 

I saw a two young farangs trying to cross the road in Pattaya  using a crossing ,a Hilux comes past doesn't stop blast his horn , I knew 100% it would be a farang behind the wheel and I was right 

I'm not sure if it's like this in other parts of Thailand but you must love each other if your living here in Jomtien,have a community spirit 

Well, you got the grumpy old man who looks at you and do not even want to reckonize you at any rural city around in Thailand, and in the other end, those who want to speak with everyone they meet, and impossible to shake off. 

At the other end, Madam falang from Isaan, who only speaks thai with other Isaan ladies. Normally, I just nod and smile and walk past when seeing other foreigners, and sometimes stop for a chat if it is natural, but I really do not care about other foreigners that much. Just trying to be polite

In Pattaya it is to many foreigners to really pay attention to anyone. 

Why do you do this to yourself George ,the last time to Pattaya you said

it was a  sh itehole and would never be coming back ,and here you are

again ..you must like punishment , Philippines not good enough for you,

what about Malaysia ,  things might be better for you if you stopped earwigging

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Georgia - given your recently threads its as if you are developing (or already have) a strong anti-farang bias....  (there are a couple of others on this forum who can't help themselves denigrate other westerners at any opportunity).

Thai said: on the stinky thing... 

Yep - 'People' can often stink... 

Family and I were in a lift the other day a Westerner and his Wife were in there, one of them (I assume the other foreigner) was stinking of body odour...   no excuses there, he could surely afford laundered clothes and to take a shower, & use deodorant. 

Then just yesterday we had some work men over....  by the end of the day one of them was reeking of body odour, foul enough to smell it outside, meanwhile the other two seemed 'ok'.

I think some people just stink more than others - but showering at least twice per day and always wearing freshly laundered clothes is an absolute must IMO - if I've so much as 'drawn a sweat' I always change my clothes when given a chance. 

------------

On another note...  a few weeks ago in hospital I was getting some 'pre-treatment checks'...  (getting some blood taken)...  One nurse (slightly older) says to the other (in Thai)... "he smells so nice"... 

... the other nurse (younger).. comes and sits next to me... then responds... (in Thai again)... "Yes, he does smell so nice, really, really"....    I smile and say thank-you in Thai...   they then erupt in giggles, ask me if I can understand Thai, to which I reply in Thai, "Yes, I understand and speak a little"... we then have a conversation in Thai as they both get closer "smelling me" !!!...    the older nurse then asks, "do you have a Thai Wife ?"....   I answer yes...   she then giggled... "don't tell her about this !!!"... 

A similar event happened again (after staying over night - minor surgery), I was able to shower... 

When a different nurse came in to see to give me my medication... (my was was present)... the nurse asked my wife... "he smells so nice, what is he wearing"...       Wife and I laughing because this seemed to be an on going thing over a few days.... 

...Meanwhile... I remember threads on here with Westerners stating how they get offended by women's strong perfume burning the nostrils, how Thai's hate strong smells of perfume and aftershave etc...  

... Clearly Thai's like a 'pleasantly smelling' (not overpowering) odour of another person..

... Clearly some 'miserly stinkers' are offending people with their 'I just use a bit of aluminium stick'.... they probably don't know they still have 'body odour'...

... Then there are the blatant stinkers !!!....    Personally, I think the biggest cause of stinkers is poorly laundered clothes...  where antibacterial washing powder is not used and the 'stinky bacteria' are never quite fully washed away.

I've had this in other countries... whereby I get my clothes laundered, then come back dry and smelling ok, but as soon as I start to sweat or 'get moist' the smell from the clothes is not pleasant and I'm forced to change....   (some hotels / laundries - use detergent that just does not do the job of ensuring bacteria is removed from clothes)...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well, you got the grumpy old man who looks at you and do not even want to reckonize you at any rural city around in Thailand, and in the other end, those who want to speak with everyone they meet, and impossible to shake off. 

At the other end, Madam falang from Isaan, who only speaks thai with other Isaan ladies. Normally, I just nod and smile and walk past when seeing other foreigners, and sometimes stop for a chat if it is natural, but I really do not care about other foreigners that much. Just trying to be polite

In Pattaya it is to many foreigners to really pay attention to anyone. 

I think thats a valid point...   [interacting with other foreigners / Westerners just because they are also foreign / Western]...

... If there is a natural conversation point, why not, of course...  but otherwise... speaking with people we dont know, nope... that just odd....  but if eye contact is made there is nothing wrong with a nod, but that is for anyone regardless of nationality etc.... I often catch eye contact with other Thai guys, I give a nod and they nod back... nothing more to it. 

A few weeks ago I was at EmSphere looking at the cars...  Another Westerner there (Eastern European I think), started talking to me, we were both interested in the car and talked for about 10mins, about the car....  pleasant enough chappy, pleasant enough converstation - just a human interaction, not forced or ignored...  I never got the other fella's name - there was no need for that...  nevertheless, there was no need to ignore him because I didn't know him, neither was there any need to over-indulge in the converstation...   we had our little chat about the car and were both on our way....

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why do you do this to yourself George ,the last time to Pattaya you said

it was a  sh itehole and would never be coming back ,and here you are

again ..you must like punishment , Philippines not good enough for you,

what about Malaysia ,  things might be better for you if you stopped earwigging

regards worgeordie

Definitely!

I'm sick of it ,I really am

Another 2 weeks left ,J think I might head to Udon Thani to meet nice people 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not talking about the two week tourists in Soi Bukhao who are mostly very friendly bunch I'm talking about the old expat living in Pattaya particularly Jomtien 

So you are saying the old expats in Jomtien tend to emit an odor?

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was in this Friendship supermarket today when I overheard a big old European guy in his accent I think German,say "oh the smell is overpowering," I heard this from another aisle and then he said it again "oh the smell " 

I went to investigate to see a big fat European guy with I presume his Thai wife metres away from a elderly disheveled old farang wearing what looked like old clothes with a t shirt and long shorts which were ripped 

Did you ask him if he was staying in Jomtien? As if you were in Friendship market which is in Pattaya how the heck would you know? 

You are simply a very naive old ozzie who makes up stuff on a daily basis in order to have some sort of a life while you visit. It is actually very sad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I love talking about dederants but I never use that anti sweat one under the armpits ,I heard it can cause Cancer 

I carry the body spray around with me as I like to go to the gym several times a day 

So you are going to the gym, several times a day, assumedly sweating, then putting deodorant on over the top ???...      In the UK we call that a 'French Shower'.....  

Or, are you showering after each gym session ? 

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Definitely!

I'm sick of it ,I really am

Another 2 weeks left ,J think I might head to Udon Thani to meet nice people 

If you are using deodorant to mask the musky smell of your sweat - you may find people the same !!!

If you try to start conversations with people who dont want to converse with you, you may find the same !!!... 

As the saying goes... "read the room"....  i.e. don't be oblivious to the social temperature of your surroundings... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have studied & analysed that the expats living particularly in Pattaya Jomtien don't like each other

Dear Stephen Hawking, what's your sample size. 

Are you getting your Physics and Sociology mixed up ???

Georgia is clearly going with a Max Webber approach to his sociological observation !!!... :neus::whistling:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I knew 100% it would be a farang behind the wheel and I was right

Yep, you got this one right. 

Over the many years when I hear an aggressive blast of a car or bike horn it's a foreigner. 

I reckon we have a few angry guys here, the ones who sit behind their warrior keyboards, they'd be the horn blasters. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Georgia is clearly going with a Max Webber approach to his sociological observation !!!... :neus::whistling:

We will have to start calling him Professor Georgia. 

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We will have to start calling him Professor Georgia. 

A leader in the Sociological studies of the modern-sex-pest...    

...  and famed photographer of buildings... 

• Like 1