Optician shop - REALLY BAD

LTHAI

Paid  a very high price, higher than EU or USA for a pair of reading glasses, and the quality is horrible.  One or both lenses fall out about every three weeks (probably poor edge grinding not consistent with the frame)  but more than that the frame was promoted as Lacoste -  the same green alligator.  It turns out it is a Chinese brand called Alligator!  The plastic pieces that touch your nose are obviously very low in plastic and cause sores constantly.

In short, this chain is deceptive, overcharges, and has very poor quality, avoid at all costs.  They are a total rip off.

• Sad 1

I went to a local branch of the same optician, I saw the name in the notify emails but I won't mention it here.

However my experience was very positive.

I want in there to buy a pair of replacement glasses for being short sighted - I see much better at distances when wearing them than when I don't wear them.

Anyway, the Mrs picked out a couple of pairs which looked quite nice and they said it was but 1 get 1 free - which is kind of a misnomer as they weren't cheap anyway so I got 2.

This was back in about 2021 and they're great, both of them.

About 6 months later this particular branch shut down, presumably due to a lack of business. Which sucks as I'll need to take my chances again in the future

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LTHAI said:

the frame was promoted as Lacoste

If that is the case, then I guess you can sue them for fraud or whatever that is called.

With some street vendor that is probably difficult, but with a real shop you should be able to demand the real thing - or else.

If, of course, the name of that brand was never mentioned and it was you who assumed something wrong, now that is obviously your fault and problem. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But I live in Thailand, and you live in the UK.

"The Westgate on Sea (Kent, UK) based, family run business ......"

Who told you that? Are you making things up again?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Zenni is a Chinese company shipping through Singapore.

I'm only 305km from China.

Nope. Zenni is based in the USA. 

The company is based in Novato, California, where it employed 100 people in 2020. It has 1,000 employees at its 248,000-square-foot Chinese factory in Danyang, Jiangsu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenni_Optical#:~:text=The company is based in,Chinese factory in Danyang%2C Jiangsu.

https://www.selectspecs.com/about-us/lab/

OUR OVERSEAS LABORATORIES...

Since 2005, we have operated with 2 additional laboratories based in Hong Kong and China, both these labs are overseen by our UK team to ensure production is completed to the same level you would expect from our UK facility.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Zenni is a Chinese company shipping through Singapore.

I'm only 305km from China.

Founder Hungarian, company based in the USA. Do you just make things up to suit yourself?

Zenni Optical is an online retailer that sells eyewear, including prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses. Zenni Optical does not have any physical stores, but there is a Zenni (Thailand) Co., Ltd. that manufactures eyewear in Bangkok: 

Zenni (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
  • A company that manufactures and assembles eyewear, including VR glasses, smart glasses, and lenses. It is located at 111 Phaya Thai Road, Phetchaburi Khlong, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400. 

• Zenni Optical
    An online retailer that sells eyewear at lower prices than traditional retailers by cutting out the middleman. Zenni Optical offers a wide range of frames and lenses, and ships to over 200 countries worldwide. 

Zenni Optical
What they sell
Prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses
How they sell
Online only
Prices
Starting at $6.95 for frames
What's included
Basic single vision prescription lenses, anti-scratch coating, UV protection, protective case, and microfiber cleaning cloth
Shipping
Ships to over 200 countries worldwide
Accreditation
Accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

Founder Hungarian, company based in the USA. Do you just make things up to suit yourself?

The glasses are made in China even though the Zenni address is in the USA.

My last two pairs were posted via Hong Kong, Malmo Sweden and then to here?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LTHAI said:

Paid  a very high price, higher than EU or USA for a pair of reading glasses, and the quality is horrible.  One or both lenses fall out about every three weeks (probably poor edge grinding not consistent with the frame)  but more than that the frame was promoted as Lacoste -  the same green alligator.  It turns out it is a Chinese brand called Alligator!  The plastic pieces that touch your nose are obviously very low in plastic and cause sores constantly.

In short, this chain is deceptive, overcharges, and has very poor quality, avoid at all costs.  They are a total rip off.

Welcome to Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I see much better at distances when wearing them than when I don't wear them.

Believe it or not, that is the whole idea of spectacles! 

55 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Zenni Optical is an online retailer that sells eyewear, including prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses. Zenni Optical does not have any physical stores, but there is a Zenni (Thailand) Co., Ltd. that manufactures eyewear in Bangkok: 

Zenni (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
  • A company that manufactures and assembles eyewear, including VR glasses, smart glasses, and lenses. It is located at 111 Phaya Thai Road, Phetchaburi Khlong, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400. 

• Zenni Optical
    An online retailer that sells eyewear at lower prices than traditional retailers by cutting out the middleman. Zenni Optical offers a wide range of frames and lenses, and ships to over 200 countries worldwide. 

Zenni Optical
What they sell
Prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses
How they sell
Online only
Prices
Starting at $6.95 for frames
What's included
Basic single vision prescription lenses, anti-scratch coating, UV protection, protective case, and microfiber cleaning cloth
Shipping
Ships to over 200 countries worldwide
Accreditation
Accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)

If there is a Zenni factory in Bangkok, why were mine made in China and shipped to me here? Strange eh?