The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Looks like we've had an offer accepted for Rob Earnshaw from the sheep :D .......Some things begger belief. :o We don't want, or need, their cast offs

He will be a very effective player in that league. I reckon I good signing. :D

Come on the Dale. :o

From skysports:-

Rochdale v Darlington preview

Darlington hold a slender advantage heading into the second leg of their play-off semi-final with Rochdale.

The Quakers' Ian Miller snatched an injury-time winner in the first-leg last Saturday to hand Dave Penney's side a 2-1 lead.

The defeat at The Darlington Arena was Dales' first in 11 matches and they will be confident of turning the tie around as the action switches to Spotland.

Keith Hill's side are unbeaten in their last eight games on their own turf, and have won seven of those fixtures.

Darlington finished their League Two in disappointing fashion, picking up only one win in their last nine matches.

However, they have now won their last two and will be keen to book their place in a Wembley showdown with either Wycombe or Stockport.

Stanton boost

Rochdale are boosted by the return of Nathan Stanton for the game as the defender has served a two-game ban and is hoping to return to the starting line-up.

Hill is missing three players through injury, with goalkeepers Sam Russell (broken finger) and James Spencer (hernia) still sidelined.

Striker Lee Thorpe is also out due to a dead leg and a broken arm sustained on the coach to Darlington last weekend.

Thorpe broke his arm in three places when arm wrestling a team-mate, prompting Hill to ban such contests in future.

The Spotland outfit have not won promotion since 1969 and have been in the bottom tier of English football since 1974.

Problems for Penney

Alan White has recovered from the dead leg which forced him off last week and he could feature for Darlington.

Meanwhile, David Stockdale's foot injury has healed quicker than expected and he remains in contention, although he will need a pain-killing injection if selected.

Ryan Valentine may require similar treatment as he struggles to shake off a knee problem, and the defender is only rated at 50/50

Ben Parker, who limped out of the first-leg with a thigh strain, is also a doubt ahead of the trip to Spotland.

Dave Penney will be further hindered by the fact that both his first-choice strikers are unavailable, as Tommy Wright has a knee problem and Pawel Abbott remains sidelined.

Could be Stockport County v Rochdale in the Play Off Final at Wembley :o

I think my prediction of 3rd April is gonna come true........good luck Dale & County.

:D:D:D Who needs Mark Lawrenson ??

Fantastic for the North West !

Exeter 1-0 Cambridge Utd

By Chris Whyatt

Exeter City returned to the Football League after a five-year absence with a narrow play-off final win over Cambridge United at Wembley.

The Devon club dominated the first half and took a deserved lead when Rob Edwards nodded home Dean Moxey's inswinging corner on 21 minutes.

But Cambridge exerted intense pressure after the break as manager Jimmy Quinn went for broke with three changes.

Substitute Magno Viera went closest with a snap-shot just past the post.

Exeter, 83 years a Football League team and looking for only the third promotion in their history, made the brighter start.

The impressive Moxey sent out a message of intent by whipping over a dangerous cross which Richard Logan stretched to nod inches past the left upright.

Logan caused trouble in the box which led to a penalty appeal after Mark Albrighton appeared to handle but referee Craig Pawson waved play on and Edwards hooked a rising snap-shot just wide from 14 yards.

Winger Lee McEvilly did make some inroads down the right for Cambridge but his enticing cross was athletically cleared by Steve Tully for a corner which came to nothing.

With Exeter bossing possession, they took a deserved lead on 21 minutes thanks to Moxey's wicked inswinging corner which the onrushing Rob Edwards headed on the bounce to force home.

Dan Gleeson did smash a shot over the bar for Cambridge on 37 minutes but their half was largely frustrating, despite Friend looping a header onto the bar after clever feet from Courtney Pitt.

But United came out positive after the break to create numerous chances.

A McEvilly header had to be cleared from underneath the bar by George Friend before Paul Carden shot just wide from distance after which Lee Boylan went close.

After Richard Logan sent a vicious volley wide from Ryan Harley's intelligent cross the game became increasingly open and scrappy.

Cambridge boss Quinn made three attack-minded substitutions which nearly bore dividends, with Brazilian striker Viera influential.

Matthew Taylor had to lump the ball clear off the line after Mark Peters prodded in a shot after a goalmouth scramble and Exeter's goal was starting to live a charmed life.

Substitute Viera flashed a powerful shot just wide with ten minutes remaining.

Cambridge pressure intensified but manager Paul Tisdale's side hung on desperately to wipe out the memories of last year's play-off final disappointment at the hands of Morecombe. League Two beckons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exeter: Jones, Tully, Seaborne, Matthew Taylor, Friend, Harley, Edwards, Gill, Moxey, Stansfield (Watson 84), Logan.

Subs Not Used: Marriott, Carlisle, Elam, Cozic.

Goals: Edwards 22.

Cambridge Utd: Potter, Peters, Albrighton, Hatswell, Gleeson (Fortune-West 75), Wolleaston, Carden, Brown (Reed 67), Pitt, Boylan (Vieira 70), McEvilly.

Subs Not Used: Morrison, Beesley.

Booked: Gleeson.

Att: 42,511

Ref: C Pawson (Sheffield).

From a Torquay supporter, congratulations to Exeter on getting back into the league afte a five year abscence, still should have been us though. :o

It is a good club, and the people who now run it have done a brilliant job to secure the future, when you consider the financial mismanagement by John Lewis and Mike Russell which nearly destroyed the club a few years back (Uri Geller might have been a bit of a dick, but he was heavily involved in exposing these two conmen for what they were).

I have watched a fair few games over the years at Exeter and know a number of people involved in running the club, so I'm really pleased for them. One member of the Toad family will be a very happy peerson today.

Lets hope it's Torquay next season.

My Preds now for the playoff final .Heart ruling head on this though:

League 2 - Rochdale

League 1 - Doncaster

Championship - Bristol City

Well my local football team is Rochdale, a second division club. I do go and try to support them sometimes if city are away and i fancy watching a match. They played Stoke last night who are from the Championship, in the Carling Cup. Full time was 1-1 and Rochdale took the lead in extra time to make it 2-1 but Stoke equalised on 120 mins to make it 2-2 but Rochdale won after penalties beating them 4-2. Well done the Dale :o:D

Another club close to me is Bury from the Second division, unfortunately they hosted Carlisle but got beat 0-1

Seeing as the lower league clubs hardly get a mention, shall we use this thread to post all about the lickle clubs we have a fondness for but hardly ever talk about. :D

An excellent idea, my local team is Torquay United who are now in the Conference after last seasons of the field shennigens. They started off with a solid 0-0 draw with Grays at the weekend. :D It was live on Sentana apparently, so would have loved to have watched it.

I always keep a look out for Plymouth as I used to live next to Home Park, Exeter as it is the old mans club and the two Bristol clubs. Rovers had a good win last night against Palace, personally I always prefered City, but I used to drink with a number of ex and recent players and also a couple of the managers and they were a great bunch of guys.

Really hope that all of the west country teams have a great season. :D

how scrumpy have u had 2day i think 1 gallon 2 much :D

Well my local football team is Rochdale, a second division club. I do go and try to support them sometimes if city are away and i fancy watching a match. They played Stoke last night who are from the Championship, in the Carling Cup. Full time was 1-1 and Rochdale took the lead in extra time to make it 2-1 but Stoke equalised on 120 mins to make it 2-2 but Rochdale won after penalties beating them 4-2. Well done the Dale :o:D

Another club close to me is Bury from the Second division, unfortunately they hosted Carlisle but got beat 0-1

Seeing as the lower league clubs hardly get a mention, shall we use this thread to post all about the lickle clubs we have a fondness for but hardly ever talk about. :D

An excellent idea, my local team is Torquay United who are now in the Conference after last seasons of the field shennigens. They started off with a solid 0-0 draw with Grays at the weekend. :D It was live on Sentana apparently, so would have loved to have watched it.

I always keep a look out for Plymouth as I used to live next to Home Park, Exeter as it is the old mans club and the two Bristol clubs. Rovers had a good win last night against Palace, personally I always prefered City, but I used to drink with a number of ex and recent players and also a couple of the managers and they were a great bunch of guys.

Really hope that all of the west country teams have a great season. :D

how scrumpy have u had 2day i think 1 gallon 2 much :D

None tonight Paul, but then the post you have quoted was from back in August 2007 :D

Rochdale 2 Stockport County 3......Stockport come from behind to clinch their place in League1.

By all accounts County were the better side although Rochdale staged a grandstand finish !

Crowd was a little disappointing 35,500 as opposed to the Conference Play Off Final 42,000+ :o

So bad luck to the Dale,mrbj.....youll have to welcome Macc Town to Spotland for another year.

But youve had a great season.....bet you never thought youd be going to Wembley last August at the start of the campaign ?

And at least Man City have qualified for Europe,eh :D

Welcome back MrBoj, been quiet here recently. Shame about Rochdale, was hoping that they were going to do it, but I'm going to have a cheeky five quid wager with the bookies for you lot to go up as Champs next season. :o

I hope so Taody, i hope so :D

Not been on much lately. In Saudi now and just settling in. On dial up at the moment and it's doing my head in :o

Hope SA is going well MrBoj, look forward to your next appearance here in BKK.

Rochdale are slowly picking up a cult following. :D

Yeah it's going great thanks buddy. And the place is far better than i imagined it would be.

Don't know when i'll be back in Bangers, as i'll have to use my leave periods to go back to the UK. However, once MrsBoJ and BabyBoJ come out to live here, i don't think i'll be going back to the UK and just use my leave periods to go to Thailand.

Rochdale are slowly picking up a cult following. :o

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's going great thanks buddy. And the place is far better than i imagined it would be.

Don't know when i'll be back in Bangers, as i'll have to use my leave periods to go back to the UK. However, once MrsBoJ and BabyBoJ come out to live here, i don't think i'll be going back to the UK and just use my leave periods to go to Thailand.

Rochdale are slowly picking up a cult following. :o

:D

Is it "dry" out there MrBJ ?.........& I don't mean the weather !! :D

£4m Ameobi bid accepted - claim

09 June 2008 | 12:53

Reports in the north-east claim Newcastle United have accepted a £4million bid from Ipswich Town accepted for striker Shola Ameobi.

Neither Ipswich nor Newcastle have yet confirmed the reports which claim Town have all but matched an offer by Stoke City for the player who helped the potters to promotion while on loan for the latter part of the season.

Oh My God......I hope not...... :o

Yes it is 'officially' a dry country Chavy. But i've not gone thirsty yet :D

:o your the man MrBJ :D

What about Dale's chaces next season then ?? Do you think they'll challenge again or be 1 season wonders ??

What about Dale's chaces next season then ?? Do you think they'll challenge again or be 1 season wonders ??

Welcome back Mr C, hope you are in BKK first weekend in July!

Welcome back Mr C, hope you are in BKK first weekend in July!

I'll be there mate !! :D

Would this be the start of pre season training for the 2008 / 2009 "Bangkok Beer & Footy Night" :D

The draw's out for the first round of the Carling Cup !!

What team has yours drawn against ?

The cockle pickers from Morcambe are the visitors to our place.

Other ties include...

Macclesfield Town v Blackpool

Rochdale v Oldham

Bury v Burnley

Chester v Leeds

Dagenham & Redbridge v Reading (bit of a come down for Reading)