The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Walsall 0 - Notts County 3

County moving back up the ladder (now 16th). Thomas Ince is showing lots of promise.

Walsall were poor opposition, but Notts played well. No Hughes again (post NYE "flu").

4200 attended, 900 from Notts. Walsall fans very friendly.

Sunderland 1 - 2 Notts County

A nice win to County at the Stadium of Light set up a meeting with either Leicester or Man City at Meadow Lane in Round 4. Assuming it's Man City, will we see a champion team (Notts) knock off a team of champions (City's star-studded team of poster boys)? (I doubt it, but one can dream. :) )

Assuming it's Man City, will we see a champion team (Notts) knock off a team of champions (City's star-studded team of poster boys)? (I doubt it, but one can dream. :) )

Steady on there Xang. I hardly think any of our players are what you would call "poster boys" :lol:

Assuming it's Man City, will we see a champion team (Notts) knock off a team of champions (City's star-studded team of poster boys)? (I doubt it, but one can dream. :) )

Steady on there Xang. I hardly think any of our players are what you would call "poster boys" :lol:

Yeah, well, a bit of poetic licence .... wink.gif Sorry, guys.

Southampton 0 - 0 Notts County

A good point at St Mary's. Manager was upbeat: "We coulda won it"!

Why do they say that? They could have (so could the other team), but they didn't - neither of them in this case.

They did extend the Saints' goalie a bit, but Southampton had a couple of good shots, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Blame the Pitch!

Notts County 1 - 1 Man City

It was all the pitch's fault! Had Meadow Lane provided a nice pitch for the City boys to play on they wouldn't have this embarrassing draw and replay.

But it'll be a different story when the lads get to play on a decent surface at Eastlands.

At least that's Roberto Mancini's take on things. I wonder what sort of surfaces his boys from Africa and Latin America played on when they were younger?

Well done County, and as Mancini and Ince ("I did it at Manchester United) conceded, it's a mistake to take the lower league teams lightly.

• 3 weeks later...

Stockport County 1 Macclesfield Town 4

A convincing win for Macc in the Cheshire derby which was their first victory in the league in nearly 3 months.

Towards the end of November they were only out of the play offs on goal difference but since then a shocking run plus numerous postponements has seen them plummet down the table to just outside the relegation places.

Also the tragic early death of midfielder,Richard Butcher,has meant it has been a tough time for the Silkmen and,hopefully,this win will give them the confidence to start to climb the league table.

I note that Bristol Rovers have sacked their manager even before the U's play them on Saturday. Bears ill for them that they pre-empt the East Saxonian curse. Although I expect a less supra-mundane equal points come the day.

Yes, this happened after Exeter City put them out of the JPT. The Grecians have now recovered from their 'flu bout and followed this up with a 5-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday, with a couple of real quality goals among the haul. They could be dark horses for this division, but the big question is can they hang on to key players in the January window?

The ans is no weve lost Harley to Swansea for nish, which kind of irritates but we've got him on loan for the rest of the season, this caused some concern among city fans about commitment ect ect., But after yesterdays performance, forget the result, the way we played was absolutely stunning, the movement the passing, would have graced any level, we were quite magnificent, as for Harley, well Swansea fans are in for a treat the boy is quite a unique talent. I actually felt sorry for Charlton, they reduced the entrance to fiver and 25000 turned up and expected a big performance and they got it, from us!!! we've gone through a dark spell losing in a bad way on sky live to brentford one game away from a wembley final, where are we going to end up? I hesitate to say the play off's but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Wilson has gone.

From play-off finalists to relegation certainties in one season, what a mess.

Paul Hart has been bought in to fill a fire-fighters roll until the end of the season. He doesn't have a great record but does seem to have a knack of helping teams to avoid the drop.

I hope that reputation continues.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see exeter at Rochdale yesterday, and a good 3 points for Exeter. Nice friendly bunch and a good chip shop opposite, great away stand But unfortunately Rochdale didnt really have that much to offer and barring Jones didn't really threaten. Cureton latched onto a Logan flick on and beat the goalkeeper 2 it, might be a bit harsh but thought the keeper should have got there 1st. In the post match interview another glowing reference from opposition manager The improving pitch's will 100% suit us and a good end to the season is on the cards, a play off position is a step 2 far but watch out div one next season, we will for sure be there or there abouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Merely a blip.

Dale are now looking good for a play off place and after years of being a frustrated Dale fan I could see it happening! You wait 30 years for a bus and all that!!!

Dale in the Prem in 2 seasons...

[/quote

good result for u yesterday, Unlike ours!!! 2 players sent off , with straight reds and our fullbacks, probably the only positions weve got v little cover for <deleted>

yeah Mr bo, a mid table position is good for the 1st season. The difficult part is now to step on. We've sort of gone from relegation/ mid table to mid table with the play offs, realistically a step 2 far. But hey Next season a touch more consistency and you never know, we all live in hope!!

• 2 weeks later...

Merely a blip.

Dale are now looking good for a play off place and after years of being a frustrated Dale fan I could see it happening! You wait 30 years for a bus and all that!!!

Dale in the Prem in 2 seasons...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keep on drinking mate

Great 2-0 win 4 the Exeter at bristol, 3 wins on the trot for us now, and apparently were bang on form . we have to win every game so Again it seems the play off's are realistically a step away for us, But hey ho we live in hope, and certainly v v optimistic for next season

Anyone want to manage County for a while?

Well, Ray Trew and Paul Ince managed a parting by mutual consent while I was out of touch in Oz and now we've got Martin Allen from Barnet, the Magpies 8th manager in 18 months. When he's gone I might apply myself, having been a pretty mean goalie at Waverley Prep School, Hucknall, in the early 50s.

Allen may in fact be a good choice as he has a record of success and seems to have a bit of pitbull in him, if they can keep him away from culturally diverse bouncers.

This is what Wikipedia says of his recent history.

Cheltenham Town

Allen was appointed as manager of Cheltenham Town on 15 September 2008, on a three year contract.[9] His father, Dennis, had been manager at Whaddon Road between 1974 and 1979.[10] On 20 October 2009, Allen was suspended by Cheltenham Town and placed on gardening leave pending an internal investigation into allegations that he racially abused a nightclub bouncer.[11] In November Gloucestershire police announced that no action would be taken against Allen concerning the alleged nightclub incident. He remained on leave whilst Cheltenham Town considered his future at the club.[12] On 11 December it was announced he had left the club.[13] In January 2010 he was appointed part-time scout for Queens Park Rangers.[14]

Return to Barnet

On 23 March 2011, Allen returned to his first managerial club, Barnet, until the end of the 2010–11 season.[15] He was working on an eight game contract but left after only three games, in which Barnet were unbeaten,[16] to take charge of Notts County.

Notts County

Allen took charge of Notts County on 11 April 2011 signing a one-year rolling contract.[16]

Never a dull moment at Meadow Lane! rolleyes.gif

Well, Ray Trew and Paul Ince managed a parting by mutual consent while I was out of touch in Oz and now we've got Martin Allen from Barnet, the Magpies 8th manager in 18 months. When he's gone I might apply myself, having been a pretty mean goalie at Waverley Prep School, Hucknall, in the early 50s.

Allen may in fact be a good choice as he has a record of success and seems to have a bit of pitbull in him, if they can keep him away from culturally diverse bouncers.

Cheltenham Town

Allen was appointed as manager of Cheltenham Town on 15 September 2008, on a three year contract.[9] His father, Dennis, had been manager at Whaddon Road between 1974 and 1979.[10] On 20 October 2009, Allen was suspended by Cheltenham Town and placed on gardening leave pending an internal investigation into allegations that he racially abused a nightclub bouncer.[11] In November Gloucestershire police announced that no action would be taken against Allen concerning the alleged nightclub incident. He remained on leave whilst Cheltenham Town considered his future at the club.[12] On 11 December it was announced he had left the club.[13] In January 2010 he was appointed part-time scout for Queens Park Rangers.[14]

Return to Barnet

On 23 March 2011, Allen returned to his first managerial club, Barnet, until the end of the 2010–11 season.[15] He was working on an eight game contract but left after only three games, in which Barnet were unbeaten,[16] to take charge of Notts County.

Notts County

Allen took charge of Notts County on 11 April 2011 signing a one-year rolling contract.[16]

Yeah, boy, youve had a topsy turvy couple of years, as you say never boring, Allen sounds hungry, If i recall he was the sort of player , to get that extra bit, he needed to be coming bac from injury, or of the bench ect ect, so u never know. On the pitch Think you've got well enuf to at least compete in this division, off the pitch just sound's a total fuc_king nightmare. Good lucki.

Cheltenham Town

Return to Barnet

Notts County

Yeah, boy, youve had a topsy turvy couple of years, as you say never boring, Allen sounds hungry, If i recall he was the sort of player , to get that extra bit, he needed to be coming bac from injury, or of the bench ect ect, so u never know. On the pitch Think you've got well enuf to at least compete in this division, off the pitch just sound's a total fuc_king nightmare. Good lucki.

Thanks Rijit, but another loss last night doesn't make it easier, and the fans are starting to come down on the players as well as the managers (Short and Ince) we've had this season. Last night's eighth loss in a row is a club record. Bad form, even for Notts. sad.gif

On the brighter side, we've still got one game in hand against the other teams clustered round the relegation zone.smile.gif

Up the Shakers! :P

They're heading that way. League One next season (unless they stumble). smile.gif

They normally do but a good win last night with 9 men! should put them in with a good shout now,fingers crossed.