What Do You Do For A Living?

Hi Guys,

I have recently married my lovely Thai Fiancee. At the moment we live in the UK and are moving to Malta for a year or two before making a permanent move to Thailand.

Was wondering what all you expats living in Thailand do for a living, and what investments you would reccommend?

Cheers

M

Hi Guys,

I have recently married my lovely Thai Fiancee. At the moment we live in the UK and are moving to Malta for a year or two before making a permanent move to Thailand.

Was wondering what all you expats living in Thailand do for a living, and what investments you would reccommend?

Cheers

M

i do nothing apart from buy the beer for the bar ,just waiting another couple of years for my retirement visa :o

Hi Guys,

Cheers

M

I am currently pimp in Nana (former pimp in Pat pong).

For investment, you have a choice to make : or you invest in sick buffalos (I am sure yout lovely fiancee shoud have some in her neiborought) or invest your hard earned money in some trust fonds in Europe / USA.

With the first you will have the satisfaction to increase the amount of cellphone used in issan, with the second you will have the satisfaction to see your investment grow years after years.

Life is a choice mate

you want investment advice you have t give out more personal iformation guy.

O.K> Just to clarify before I get flammed. Not looking for adive, was just curious thats all. For example, wife thinks a condominium would be good, but I feel that this sector is pretty much over developed in Bangkok. She also thought of Rubber Trees, but it takes a heck of a long time to get any ROI on that kind of investment.

As to what I do, well, I am an Internet Marketeer, so I can take my work with me wherever I go.

O.K> Just to clarify before I get flammed. Not looking for adive, was just curious thats all. For example, wife thinks a condominium would be good, but I feel that this sector is pretty much over developed in Bangkok. She also thought of Rubber Trees, but it takes a heck of a long time to get any ROI on that kind of investment.

As to what I do, well, I am an Internet Marketeer, so I can take my work with me wherever I go.

Out of interest what does an "Internet Marketeer' do?

Does it need business or marketing experience / qualifications?

How about IT qualifications / experience?

My options for my next MBA module are "e-Business" or "Derivatives and Risk" - was going to take the e-biz as cushy option due to assignments and exams due in early January (ie messing up my holiday) but now it looks like the Derivatives course instead.

PS: - I work in IT already

So these internets, they any good ? Can you do me a deal on 10 ?

Before you look at what you possibly can do in Thailand I'd start by getting a financial health check and advice on how much you need to live on now, how much you need to save for your future and how much you need to earn once life's responsibilities come along.

I'd also think twice about bringing large amounts of money to Thailand - at least until you've been living in Thailand for a couple of years or more.

Thailand is a great place to spend money - but for the vast majority a very difficult place to make money.

If that is you in your avtar then my guess is as a young couple you'd probably be a lot better off getting on with work/carreer and savings in the west while planning to move to Thailand when you are more financially secure.

Thailand is full of young western guys treading water, getting by on low a low income while ignoring the fact that at some time in the future (and it comes around quick) they'll be facing retirement and no pension or savings to meet Thailand's 'Minimum Pensioner Visa Income' requirements.

Out of interest what does an "Internet Marketeer' do?

WE basically he/she markets businesses online. Look at Google, Yahoo and MSN, they all have text link adverts on thir search engines. I manage clients accounts, to get them the best ROI. I also sell other people's products online in return for commissions, buy and sell banner advertising, issue press releases, etc. All in all, internet marketing is the largest and fastest growing advertising medium in the world :o You do not need any degrees (I dont have any) but you sure do need passion and spend lots of time doing research!

internet marketer or internet musketeer?

ebaying and spamming and hyip's may be lowbrow but they must make money for someone.

Marketeer thank you! Don't do ebaying, spamming or hyip's. All legitamit stuff.

Thailand is full of young western guys treading water, getting by on low a low income while ignoring the fact that at some time in the future (and it comes around quick) they'll be facing retirement and no pension or savings to meet Thailand's 'Minimum Pensioner Visa Income' requirements.

Thanks for that, great advice. I am very aware of old age creeping up on people and would never make a move unless I am sure I have my and my family's future secure. But at least with what I do I can do it from anywhere provided there is an internet connection :D

This site is not the best place to ask people about making money, as you can probably tell by the comments you received. Most of the people here that post replies are loser without a Baht to their name who don’t have a clue. That being said, your wife’s advice is pretty good.

I made over 135% ROI last year and should do over 50% ROI this buying, renovating and selling condos. Even though it is a little slow this year. But, I did a considerable amount of research before my first purchase and continue to stay up to date on the market. There are a few other opportunities I have become aware of due to my work in this market that are quite lucrative that I might expand into in the future.

After you arrive you will be able to look around and find something that you like to do, meets your budget and provides cash gains.

As for you other clowns always posting the “sky if following” I don’t want to hear it, just because you were not smart enough, diligent enough, tough enough or what ever, does not mean other are the same as you.

This site is not the best place to ask people about making money, as you can probably tell by the comments you received. Most of the people here that post replies are loser without a Baht to their name who don't have a clue. That being said, your wife's advice is pretty good.

Thanks billaaa777, an informative post at last :o

i used to buy and sell fixer upper condos over 20 years ago before i moved onto developing shopping centers and office buildings.how i miss those old days of dealing with deadbeat tenants and shoddy plumbers and the condo market isn't too overdeveloped and overpriced.

This site is not the best place to ask people about making money, as you can probably tell by the comments you received. Most of the people here that post replies are loser without a Baht to their name who don't have a clue. That being said, your wife's advice is pretty good.

Thanks billaaa777, an informative post at last :o

Well, as I commited a bad comment, I do hope I am allowed to answer to that one. Maybe I am a loser (only other people can tell it), I do have some bht (more accuratly Ringits, as I do believe on the long run Malaysia shold be more stable than Thailand, and so the money should be).

I strongly advice you to NOT invest in property and/or real estate :

1) the law does not allow easily a foreigner to own land or property directly (using shadow companies and cheating the law is another subject ... a risky subject if at the end of the day you can risk to loose your investment).

2) Futhermore, in Europe , property get value years after years, here as the maintenance is never made, your condo (the only thing you can legally own in thailand) will loose value years after years and that even if the market goes up (anyway the market is for NEW, not for second hand condo).

3) There is still (in my humble opinion) scary to invest some 20 K or 50 K euros in something that can eventually not be able to use (visas ....), or that only other people (your lovely fiancee' relatives for exemple) will be able to use and abuse. Notice than if your wife is from a weathly familly, this comment does not apply I do agree, but mostly local are not wealthly so in 90% of the marriage it will apply.

Same can be tell for any investment solutions that will be proposed to you. Reallity is almost lways harsh in thailand and the amount of people who have already lost their investment is simply pharaonical (and ironical too).

Sure some have sucess, but mostly the success is the usual one : they have an idea that would have worked well in USA or Europe, simply here, due the low cost of the work force that success is bigger.

Web property! You're already there, you work with the web.. invest in established web property. :o No governments etc dictate anything to you that way, nor can they mess you about. Plus you dont have to learn how to walk in a new field.

Good advice oxford - Why not just improve your skills in other areas of internet marketing, if you are there now, you are ahead of a lot of people wanting to make money on-line. It's the right place to be right now... if you can see that, it's a no brainer where your money should go....

:D

I made over 135% ROI last year and should do over 50% ROI this buying, renovating and selling condos. Even though it is a little slow this year. But, I did a considerable amount of research before my first purchase and continue to stay up to date on the market. There are a few other opportunities I have become aware of due to my work in this market that are quite lucrative that I might expand into in the future.

After you arrive you will be able to look around and find something that you like to do, meets your budget and provides cash gains.

As for you other clowns always posting the "sky if following" I don't want to hear it, just because you were not smart enough, diligent enough, tough enough or what ever, does not mean other are the same as you.

dear "smart, diligent and tough enough guy", are you sure you are also "literate enough"?

This site is not the best place to ask people about making money, as you can probably tell by the comments you received. Most of the people here that post replies are loser without a Baht to their name who don’t have a clue. That being said, your wife’s advice is pretty good.

As for you other clowns always posting the “sky if following” I don’t want to hear it, just because you were not smart enough, diligent enough, tough enough or what ever, does not mean other are the same as you.

I'm pleased to read that you made such a huge profit. What is your ROCE currently?

As for you other clowns always posting the "sky if following" I don't want to hear it, just because you were not smart enough, diligent enough, tough enough or what ever, does not mean other are the same as you.

Really depends on your definition of a loser. I've read a large number of people on here who wouldn't be losers.

BTW: One of the definitions I would have of a loser, is someone that feels a need to point out that other people are losers. :o

Oh, and by the way, what does it mean when a "sky if following" - is that an anagram?

Trigger, just keep your money invested, take only so much and keep the rest in a stable country.

Unless you are 100% supporting your wife in clothes, goddies and gold each month you should be able to retire in your 30s if you play it right.

Good luck and god bless.

Thanks a million guys for your posts. Some very useful comments indeed. Sure, I will be working on the web for as long as I can. The reason why i started working on the web in the first place was to be free to move around the world, so i wont be letting that go. Its my daily bread and butter.

Comments about property being unstable etc are exactly mine. i never quite understood the concept of "second hand condos" as in the west it doesnt really make a difference, but from your comments, 2nd hand devalues? or am I missing something? Wife always says she doesnt want to live in a second hand house and I always found it amusing. but now, far from amusing, it seems it is actually dangerous to by a new condo if people dont want to buy second hands?

2nd hand devalues?

always. ( ok, maybe not in case of fine arts, and collectibles :o )

I can think of this same as buying a car. Everybody would naturally prefer to have a brand new one. But sometimes a secont hand might offer a much better value/price ratio. and again, your new house/car isnt new anymore you start to use :D

2nd hand devalues?

I can think of this same as buying a car. Everybody would naturally prefer to have a brand new one. But sometimes a secont hand might offer a much better value/price ratio. and again, your new house/car isnt new anymore you start to use :D

But property values increase in most markets in the world.

2nd hand devalues?

But property values increase in most markets in the world.

Not in the US currently, not in the UK shortly, the verdict on property in Thailand - not the best!

Not in the US currently, not in the UK shortly, the verdict on property in Thailand - not the best!
Don't know about the US, but in the UK, 2nd hand increases in Value and no sign of it changing, and the same applies for the rest of Europe as far as I know. Its interesting to hear it doesnt in Thailand. So really, buying property is not an investment after all! :D:o:D Edited by trigger571

Property DOES increase in Thailand. I know many people who have made lots of money by buying and selling property. Just presently the market has slowed up big time with houses and land sales, condos are still selling. Also the rate of increase has slowed like other parts of the world.