What Do You Do For A Living?

Maybe Jomtien is different from other areas as far as second hand condo units. It is a fact that the prices for most units have doubled in the past four years. Considering what new units are priced at, they are still quite a bargain.

move up country and become a money lender, those shits make shed loads of dosh

That sounds " novel " !

Do you know any farangs that have successfully done this ?

Also any problems with repayments from a Thai to a Farang ?

We lent some money once and got it back...Not bad going for 9 years on and off in Thailand. :o

That said it was the first and only time we've ever lent to family, and we didn't charge interest. So I'm keeping the day job.

Edited by fletchthai68

2nd hand devalues?

always. ( ok, maybe not in case of fine arts, and collectibles :D )

I can think of this same as buying a car. Everybody would naturally prefer to have a brand new one. But sometimes a secont hand might offer a much better value/price ratio. and again, your new house/car isnt new anymore you start to use :D

But property values increase in most markets in the world.

That's only because the buyers don't know about all the ghosts living there. :o

That sounds " novel " !

Yes - me.

Not a business that I would recomend to the faint hearted or those lacking knowledge of Thai business practices....

That sounds " novel " !

Yes - me.

Not a business that I would recomend to the faint hearted or those lacking knowledge of Thai business practices....

Do you also take candy off kids? :o

That sounds " novel " !

Yes - me.

No not at all.

Are you suggesting that I lend my money out for free? For sympathetic causes?

I worked very hard to make what small piece of money I have on this Earth & paid a lot of interest on the way. If somebody wants to borrow my money, provided they can meet certain guarantees that is fine & the way I see it, a straight business transaction , the same way I lent money when I needed to get my first business off the ground fourteen years ago.

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

That sounds " novel " !

Yes - me.

No not at all.

I worked very hard to make what small piece of money I have on this Earth & paid a lot of interest on the way. If somebody wants to borrow my money, provided they can meet certain guarantees that is fine & the way I see it, a straight business transaction , the same way I lent money when I needed to get my first business off the ground fourteen years ago.

Soundman.

Just doesn't sound very wholesome when you know how (some) Thai moneylenders work.

Edited by AmericanGuy1066

2nd hand devalues?

always. ( ok, maybe not in case of fine arts, and collectibles :D )

I can think of this same as buying a car. Everybody would naturally prefer to have a brand new one. But sometimes a secont hand might offer a much better value/price ratio. and again, your new house/car isnt new anymore you start to use :D

But property values increase in most markets in the world.

That's only because the buyers don't know about all the ghosts living there. :o

Talking about ghosts, how about all those empty houses on Upper Thompson Road near the SICC. They have never been able to sell them because of all the ghost rumours. So there's an example in S'pore, where landed property is at a premium of not getting a return. :D Prakanong, I assume you have seen those empty houses?

That sounds " novel " !

Yes - me.

No not at all.

Soundman.

Just doesn't sound very wholesome when you know how (some) Thai moneylenders work.

Please define moneylenders :D . There are small time village lenders along the 100/20 format and there are "corporate" lenders.

The village lenders provide say a 500 baht loan and take 20% upfront, so the client gets 400 baht to use for whatever their needs are. I compete with this type of lender by providing small-amount-loans for free because I think that it's not morally sound to charge 100/20 a month - by bodyguard is a retired ricefarmer :D .

The corporate lenders typically charge 1.5 or 2% a month. In other countries, industries etc. these types of loans are sometimes called bridgeloans. It's for short term needs - hopefully to fund a growth activity, which once proved profitable, will enable the person/company etc. to attract bank loans, equity sales or the like. The danger in this category of loans, is if it becomes more than a short term solution. Then 1.5 or 2% a month may become constraining for business decisions. But as a short-term bridge loan it may be the difference between taking on a new order or a new project or just sticking to business as usual.

Back to the OP's point. Have a few drinks and stay out of the village gambling :D

I work in rural Thailand, so I can tell you that unless there is a sudden huge demand for second grade rubber, there will be a glut of it in 4 - 5 years time. I wouldn't go into rubber, plus you need to be there to see what is happening.

Now if your interested in small self sustaining education/ICT centres then let me know :o coz thats what I build in Thailand and elsewhere.