Us Based Online Stock Brokers

I've been using Vanguard online brokers for stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, calls & puts, etc traded in the US. Generally good service, but for security reasons you can't access your accounts from a public computer, only from a personal computer that their computer "recognizes." That's not a problem, in fact it's somewhat reassuring.

Since last week, however, there's a been a problem getting access to accounts even from my home computer. When I called them they said it was a computer problem affecting everyone trying to log on from outside the US, they were working on it and it would be solved sometime Friday. It seemed to be resolved briefly, but once again account access is not available. So I was exploring the possibility of moving to another broker.

I contacted Fidelity about opening accounts there and transferring my holdings from Vanguard, but they replied that they won't do it if you're not physically present in the US.

Anyone have positive experiences with online brokers, either based in the US or at least able to trade in things listed on US exchanges?

I think the Patriot Act made it more difficult to deal with investments from overseas. I use a US account address to avoid some of the hassles that arose when I used an address outside the US, although Vanguard has allowed me to use my Thai address to receive duplicates of statements. In many respects Vanguard has been quite good, but if I can't easily access accounts for trading or shifting funds to/from my bank, it makes things pretty difficult.

Any suggestions or comments on experiences you've had managing your investments from Thailand would be appreciated.

I've been using Vanguard online brokers for stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, calls & puts, etc traded in the US. Generally good service, but for security reasons you can't access your accounts from a public computer, only from a personal computer that their computer "recognizes." That's not a problem, in fact it's somewhat reassuring.

Since last week, however, there's a been a problem getting access to accounts even from my home computer. When I called them they said it was a computer problem affecting everyone trying to log on from outside the US, they were working on it and it would be solved sometime Friday. It seemed to be resolved briefly, but once again account access is not available. So I was exploring the possibility of moving to another broker.

I contacted Fidelity about opening accounts there and transferring my holdings from Vanguard, but they replied that they won't do it if you're not physically present in the US.

Anyone have positive experiences with online brokers, either based in the US or at least able to trade in things listed on US exchanges?

I think the Patriot Act made it more difficult to deal with investments from overseas. I use a US account address to avoid some of the hassles that arose when I used an address outside the US, although Vanguard has allowed me to use my Thai address to receive duplicates of statements. In many respects Vanguard has been quite good, but if I can't easily access accounts for trading or shifting funds to/from my bank, it makes things pretty difficult.

Any suggestions or comments on experiences you've had managing your investments from Thailand would be appreciated.

Try E-Trade website. You can open accounts in their Hong Kong office and trade U.S. stocks or on a number of other exchanges.

Lefty.

Interactive Brokers is the best for your needs. Unbeatable low fees, good trading platform and convenient to handle. Not to forget the advantage that you can hold the account in other currencies.

E-Trade was always expensive though I dont know about what they are offering now.