Distance Between Chiang Mai And Sukhothai

Yorkshire Lass

Hi everyone

We are thinking of going to Sukhothai during the October school break. Can anyone tell me how far it is from Chiang Mai and roughly how long it takes to get there? What are the roads like (my daughter is car sick and our last trip to Pai had to be aborted!)? Are there places to stop en-route?

Many thanks

YL

Yeah, about 4 hours.

You have a choice when you get to Lampang, either continue straight on Highway 11 towards (almost) Den Chai, then a right turn on to highwat #101 to Sukhothai, OR take a right turn in Lampang on to Highway #1 towards Tak, then left turn on to highway 12. The latter is perhaps a bit longer in kms, but it's a better/wider road. Highway #11 -> #101 is more scenic though, goes through mountains.

It sucks, but whatever macho ideals I have for myself I get easily car sick too. Unless I sit in front, I get nauseous and feel dizzy, the next stage cold sweats. And if it's really bad... you know. Very lame. Something I really don't like about me. I'd swap it for another lameness any day.

But I do find that the lay wisdom of eating ginger really helps. It doesn't work - like most motion sickness things - if you do it when symptoms already occur. You have to make a point to get a good dose of fresh ginger or ginger juice a good half hour or so b4 setting out on your expedition. Not the most craved thing early in the morning when most ventures start out, but a necessity so I do it. I have good results with candied ginger too. The powdered ginger caplets don't work for me. This is a rare thing where mother nature's medicine is really better than those pharmaceuticals which knock you out and make you feel comatose all day.

• 10 months later...

Hello!

I know it's a funny question but where could I find candied ginger in Thailnd. I checked at Tops and some 7/11, I can find many dried fruits but not candied ginger. Could you halp me here? I am really craving for this and I am surprised that I can't find it easily.

Thank you!

Hello!

I know it's a funny question but where could I find candied ginger in Thailnd. I checked at Tops and some 7/11, I can find many dried fruits but not candied ginger. Could you halp me here? I am really craving for this and I am surprised that I can't find it easily.

Thank you!

It's not a funny question, it's bloody hilarious..........You might find candied ginger on the Chiang Mai to Sukhothai road. I suggest you take the trip and stop at all the stores along the road until you find one that sells candied ginger.

This might make the 250ish km journey a little longer than the normal 3-4 hours to get there though.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Hello!

Thank you!

Carrefour have it - "Blue Elephant" brand I think - but expensive. The dried fruit (and nuts etc) stalls to the left of Anusan Market as you enter from Chang Klan usually have it at a reasonable price.

I make that run every month or 2.

I always seem to have an enforced stop after Lampang or near Tak by the BIB.

Last Xmas day, I got stopped on the long straight after the Lampang mountain road on my bike - they had radars somewhere on the straight. When I got off my bike to sit at the makeshift fine desk, the sitting polieman asked the roadside policeman what speed I was going, and he looked at his clipboard and said 197kmh...which was correcft as I was sitting on 200kph. The fine - 200baht. As I was getting back on the bike the policeman told me to keep the ticket just in case I get stopped further down the rod. I can showed I have already paid today.

I know, I know. I am reckless and a road hazard to others...but it was such a nice long straight piece of road with no cars in site. It just had to be done.