All Thai Eat Rice Do All Farang Eat Rice Too?

Aries74

I eat rice 3 times a day.

I met a backpacker in Chiang Rai who told me he didn't eat rice coz its cooked in water so a health risk. Didn't bother telling him about sticky rice.

Noodle is popular in Thailand, I'll bet that's a health risk for him too. Me be he only eat hambergers and hotdogs.

:o

People have been eating rice for thousands of years, and now they tell you it's dangerous.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Time has proven that it's safe to eat and good for you.

People have been eating rice for thousands of years, and now they tell you it's dangerous.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Time has proven that it's safe to eat and good for you.

I'm only referring to "white rice" in my post above. From what I've read, white rice has only been around since the 1800's when rice milling machines were invented in Europe. People liked the taste of the white rice, plus it had a longer shelf life. Brown rice with the bran and germ still in it, began to be recognized as peasant food.

rice, in the form it's eaten for the last 100 years, without the husk, hasn't got any vitamins and minerals. In poor countries based on rice there is a risk of an illness called beri beri - which killed tens of millions. On potato you can live because it has all the nutrients.

Just to clarify a little.

Beri Beri is principally caused by Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) deficiency and is largely associated with consumption of polished rice which is deficient in Vitamin B1 because of the removal of the germ layer.

It is also associated with chronic alcoholism and poor diet.

The assertion that rice doesn't have ANY nutritional value is untrue as even "white" rice has fat, fibre, protein, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and some B vitamins, as well as carbohydrates.

See: http://www.pechsiam.com/allabout_nutrition.htm

for nutritional comparisons of white, fragrant, brown and glutinous varieties.

The inclusion of Thiamine-rich foods such as liver, beef, pork and bananas can prevent Thiamine deficiency in a diet rich in polished rice such as found in Thailand and elsewhere throughout Asia.

It is interesting to note that so-called "energy' drinks like Krating Daeng, M-150, Lipovitan etc. are high in Vitamin B1 and probably play an important role in supplementing the dietery requirements of Thai people.

Potatoes by contrast have about 1/3 the amount of protein as rice per a 100 gram serving.

Potatoes do contain significant mineral and vitamin content especially, strangely enough Vitamin C.

So the conclusion is that while rice isn't the "perfect" food it is certainly not devoid of nutritional value.

And for my money it still tastes better with Pad Kraphaow Mooh than a spud does!

Rice. Gotta eat it. Some Farang seem to think it's awful, tasteless, and boring. I feel completely the opposite. I'm a Farang with 7/8's Euro blood, and 1/8 Filipino blood, so maybe I got a rice gene in there. There certainly is a soy sauce one. Most ppl who seem to not like rice are very very anglo. Also being from CA, USA, it's not to unusual to have grown up with rice at many meals whereas other ppl may have only eaten bread or potatoes.

My 2st couple yrs here, almost exclusively ate khao niaw, and kaho sway only in fried rice form. These days cutting down on overall rice consumption - weight seems to be easier managed (as with any carb consumption) - and am eating alot more plain white jasmine. Turns out to be quite convenient to make in the rice cooker at home....saving me trips for the 5 baht cooked bags.

So.... yea, rice, gotta have it.

• 12 years later...

I am Australian. We rarely eat rice. Our takeaways are from Western stores like MacDonald's, Hungry Jacks and KFC. Cooking rice dishes at home is not normally done. Meat & vegetables and pasta are favorites. Australia has a European culture. Even with more Asian migration this heritage is hard to break.

Edited by tybuchanan

Yes, I eat it.  Love the sticky rice, too.

Unfortunately, white rice are full of simple sugars, no fiber.  It's like eating a bowl of sugar.

This explains why Asian people are addicted to eating rice.

I make a more heathy version that's much higher in protein, fiber and lower in simple sugars.

50% Quinoa

30% White Rice

20% Riceberry or any Black rice

It will fill you up more than pure white rice and you won't be as hungry two hours later. 

Also no sugar crash (good for diabetics or anyone who wants to avoid becoming a diabetic). ✓