Villa Market

Jingthing

[

I completely disagree about the quality issue. Naklua market is a regular stop of mine, and I will check out Bali Hai pier soon because it's close to me. I used to go there but assumed they had stopped selling since the renovation of Bali Hai--silly me.

Naklua market has some of the freshest, tastiest seafood you'll ever find and is super cheap, sometimes a quarter the price of Foodland and other westernized shops.

Shrimp are not all created equal. There are farmed shrimp and wild shrimp and you'll find both in Naklua, the sea shrimp being more expensive. In addition, there are the farmed river shrimp which are best for barbecuing.

If I get ambitious, I'll head out there sometime with a camera and report back on the best buys I've discovered in Naklua.

Right on ya Jimmy.

It's actually an education to walk around there - I've never seen so many varieties of fish, molluscs etc and I often wonder how they are all cooked. You can certainly get some huge prawns there that just slide down your throat when barbecued by an expert :D

I too have thought of taking a few snaps - but it's always so bloody hot and crowded. :o

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the pier where the 7/11 is is also great for shrimp and crab. straight off the boats and very cheap

Ok sounds good, what pier by a 7-11?

kdf

Bali Hai pier at the end of walking street. a kg of goong (big b***tards) is arounf 200 baht. you will have to execute the blights though when you get home.

between 7-10 in the morning is an ok time to get there.

earlier the better.

Thanks, if I ever find myself awake that late I will get me a passle of goong..

kdf

Has anyone come across sour cream anyware, baked taters do not taste the same & I am jonesing for

Baked potatos sourcream & chives

Thanks Beardog

Quite easy to find in the dairy section of any major supermarket in farang areas: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket

P1SSED OFF!

......pardon my french but I,m well peeved. I have just went to the kitchen to start cooking my better half some lovely chicken fahitas for his tea with the chicken that I bought TODAY from Villa Market and the chicken is stinking! As soon as I opened the packet the smell hit me. I thought I didnt mind paying the extra money for quality but obviously their meat is treated the exact same way as any other supermarket in Thailand. I definitely will not be shopping there again.

And while im on the rant I picked up FOUR plums, got them weighed and the woman stuck on the sticker .....

(240BAHT!!!!) I about fell in a heap and promptly returned them to the tray which I picked them up in - bag and all!

In my opinion, total rip off.

Rant over

Grrrrrr

I have had experiences very similar to this in Bangkok.

I have even found them guilty of removing sell by date stickers.

I avoid shopping there unless absolutely neccessary, and even then I would never buy bread/fish or so called fresh products

Has anyone come across sour cream anyware, baked taters do not taste the same & I am jonesing for

Baked potatos sourcream & chives

Thanks Beardog

Quite easy to find in the dairy section of any major supermarket in farang areas: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket

I have been to Tops-both Big C's- Foodland & Carrefoure in Pattaya & have not seen any sour cream! Just Yogurt....Drag still jonesing

I've seen sour cream in Villa's BKK and some other supermarkets (can't remember which ones) its in a carton similar to youghurt with a yellow label, usually alongside cottage cream.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the info! I'll look at Villa here in Pattaya!

I've seen sour cream in Villa's BKK and some other supermarkets (can't remember which ones) its in a carton similar to youghurt with a yellow label, usually alongside cottage cream.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

DIY basic sour cream.

Mix 1 cup cream with 1/4 cup buttermilk. Put in screw-top jar, close and store at room temperature (in Thailand bottom of the fridge) for minimum 24 hrs.

Season to taste.

cheers

onzestan

Hope this helps.

Cheers

DIY basic sour cream.

Mix 1 cup cream with 1/4 cup buttermilk. Put in screw-top jar, close and store at room temperature (in Thailand bottom of the fridge) for minimum 24 hrs.

Season to taste.

cheers

onzestan

Way Cool Thanks for the hit!!!!!

Here is the place to share your personal joy about what Villa market brings us ... for a price.

Fresh Jalapeno Peppers

!!!!!

I thought I was through with these beauties as long as I live in Thailand. Yes, there are Thai peppers and they are great, but sometimes you really need fresh jalapeno peppers, not the bottled ones which were already available around town.

I use the jalapenos for Mexican food but also for Italian food. It really peps up a pasta sauce. Saute chopped jalapeno peppers along with chopped red bell pepper, sliced onions and fresh garlic, then add your tomato sauce and you will see. I remember in the US many Thai restaurants use jalapenos in some Thai dishes, and although not authentic, it really adds something. Also great in omeletes and I am sure many other uses.

Thank you Villa Market!

Still looking for MATZOHS though.

How much were they at Villa? I bout several packs at Foodland for around 27 Baht a pack.

Barry

No Colemans mustard in jars

Bought some yesterday! Hidden in amongst all the French mustard

Saw some colmans mild mustard(brown colour) at villa, and unless I misread the use by date, it was already past.

Now...are we talking the full strength in jars? NOT the tinned powder?????

I had a good look at about 3 AM the other day and saw nought!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I've always found sour cream at Foodland and Carrefour. I would bet that Villa would stock such a common item. Look for a blue yogurt sized container around the cream section.

No Colemans mustard in jars

Bought some yesterday! Hidden in amongst all the French mustard

Saw some colmans mild mustard(brown colour) at villa, and unless I misread the use by date, it was already past.

Now...are we talking the full strength in jars? NOT the tinned powder?????

I had a good look at about 3 AM the other day and saw nought!

Try Bestfoods strong english mustard.

Knock your socks off.

Cheers

The produce section is a bit lacking in organization but I bought the most gorgeous (organic) Khraphow I have ever seen in any market. No wilting, mildew, mold or dirt. Wow.

Villa makes a nice addition to the other "specialty" markets.

I still like Friendship and Foodland better though.

True that, banker's hours doesn't translate here.

I haven't been to Villa for a few weeks. How's it going there...any improvements?

Has anyone eaten at the 24 hour restaurant there? I ate there 3 or 4 times but gave up as the food was not the best and the meals were far too small for the price.

Edited by tropo

I got a bad feeling about that restaurant and never tried it and probably never will. For example, I had a look at their tastes like home turkey plate, well, the picture looked absolutely nothing like home and it isn't cheap, so I think I'll pass.

Its clear they will never be the hit as the folksy funky counter at Foodland. If they were really smart, they would trash the whole menu, and do authentic Mexican burritoes and tacos like Sunrise in Bangkok which still has no equivalent in Pattaya.

Another business at the Avenue that makes me shake my head is why Au Bon Pain opened there. They are just down the road a few minutes at Royal Garden and in the Avenue they are competing with McDonald's McCafe and Starbucks plus a nice looking Thai upscale coffee outfit. I know they have their fans, but sure glad its not my money invested there.

Edited by Jingthing