Jingthing

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very different markets.....I wouldn't be seen dead in mcD's or Starbucks

I was talking about the McCafe part which isn't bad at all. I know people go to Au Bon Pain (which is an American company, not French) for things other than coffee, like sandwiches, but I have noticed it is very empty while McDonald's McCafe is busy and Starbucks isn't open yet. Also, Au Bon Pain location isn't nearly as good or central. Au Bon Pain is hardly a high class restaurant, it is just a mass market American chain, not bad though. For things like coffee pastries, Starbucks is as good or better than Au Bon Pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Bon_Pain

Edited by Jingthing

True that, banker's hours doesn't translate here.

I haven't been to Villa for a few weeks. How's it going there...any improvements?

Has anyone eaten at the 24 hour restaurant there? I ate there 3 or 4 times but gave up as the food was not the best and the meals were far too small for the price.

I've eaten their twice.

Unless something changes I will not eat there in future. Their coffee is very good though.

Cheers

True that, banker's hours doesn't translate here.

I haven't been to Villa for a few weeks. How's it going there...any improvements?

Has anyone eaten at the 24 hour restaurant there? I ate there 3 or 4 times but gave up as the food was not the best and the meals were far too small for the price.

I've eaten their twice.

Unless something changes I will not eat there in future. Their coffee is very good though.

Cheers

I gave them a good go. My GF and I tried quite a few different dishes so as not to judge them by one meal. We really can't justify the cost against quality to return again. We even tried 3 of their signature (signboarded) meals. You'd think if they have posters of a particular meal they could do it well.

We really wanted them to be good because we really like eating at Took Lae Dee late at night, but the crowds there bother me. The set up at the 24 hour Villa restaurant is nice with more space.

Starbucks is a horror of mediocrity.

Most west coast US cities have had real coffee houses with true baristas closed do to Starbucks.

In the coffee shops I frequent in the US, the beans are fresh, whole beans. They are ground fresh and the espresso is pulled by a barista who has some knowledge of the product they are creating.

Frequently baristas will have their own signature latte art, made by the creative pouring of frothed milk and coffee.

Starbucks has pre-ground coffee and seldom does a coffee server there know much of anything regarding the beans or roast. They are generally the fast food prep equivalent with the look of a coffee house.

Coffee aficionados are much like wine connoisseurs. I can taste and enjoy the differences in grind, country of origin, freshness, and roast. I appreciate nuances in coffee that plain do not matter to others.

I also enjoy a cup of roadside diner coffee. They are not the same drink or experience.

Starbucks uses the trappings of the coffee culture to help their successful business model. They just do not serve coffee in the same league as a good coffee house. More flavored syrups are added to coffees at Starbucks than true coffee shops, wonder why?

That said, I greatly appreciated their presence in Bumrungrad when my wife spent 2 weeks there. Here in the Kingdom they are often the best choice and that is sad.

kdf

Edited by kdf

Yes, I agree, they are good when compared to what is available in Thailand, but in other countries, there is better available. That said, they did bring some kind of coffee culture to large parts of the world that never had it, Disneyland packaged or not, including parts of the US that didn't have a place to even get an espresso before Starbucks.

You can get Peets beans by mail order though, if you want something better:

peets.com

Edited by Jingthing

I made my first visit to Villa Market, and to The Avenue itself, today. Preliminary observations:

It's smaller than I expected. That's neither good nor bad. I was just expecting a "mega" super market.

It badly needs signage over the aisles to identify what's in each aisle.

I don't think I've ever experienced using a brand new shopping cart (trolley)! Pushing the cart was effortless and it moved in a straight line when I wanted it to.

As previously mentioned, some things ridiculously priced: B50+ (US$1.50+) for a single slice of water melon?

They had Grape Nuts in stock, for those of you awaiting the store to restock them.

Nice selection of western magazines in the little shop there.

What's up with that music BLASTING from the speakers at California WOW??? Does that tend to attract fitness-interested individuals? Or, only those who care not about hearing loss?

very different markets.....I wouldn't be seen dead in mcD's or Starbucks

Starbucks is an exceptional franchise. Why would someone be embarrassed to go there?

you would only go if you didn't know why it was embarrassing!

You're making some ridiculous comments here.

If you find visiting any coffee shops embarrassing, you need help. Low self-esteem??

Yes, I agree, they are good when compared to what is available in Thailand, but in other countries, there is better available. That said, they did bring some kind of coffee culture to large parts of the world that never had it, Disneyland packaged or not, including parts of the US that didn't have a place to even get an espresso before Starbucks.

You can get Peets beans by mail order though, if you want something better:

peets.com

Ahhh Peets. Have you successfully ordered via the mails? I wore a black armband on the day he left us for the great cupping.

Now if Villa could stock Peets coffee.

I have asked for a few things at Villa and I am curious if anyone has succeeded in them bringing in something on special order.

Anyone?

kdf

I haven't ordered Peets to ship to Thailand but I have in the US. There isn't any reason Villa couldn't stock the beans as Peets does sell in speciality markets in the US even though they only have coffee shops in a few cities outside the San Francisco area. I do wonder how many people would buy them given the price they would have to charge and the fact that it is kind of a cult thing mostly for San Franciscans. If they do stock Peets, they could get by just stocking the most popular and most distinctive Peets blend: Major Dickasons Blend.

Edited by Jingthing

I need to locate imported sliced beetroot.

I couldn't find it at Villa several weeks back, and Friendship has run out...was getting the NZ Watties brand there.

Has anyone laid eyes on this anywhere? Foodland, Carrefour, Tops and Big C also don't have it.

Must be some people with pretty thin skins to be embarrassed about buying a Starbucks latte.

Actually it all starts with that word "latte" and how they pronounce it - I would reckon you'd have to be pretty thick-skinned not to feel a little embarrassed in an SBs'....

Must be some people with pretty thin skins to be embarrassed about buying a Starbucks latte.

Actually it all starts with that word "latte" and how they pronounce it - I would reckon you'd have to be pretty thick-skinned not to feel a little embarrassed in an SBs'....

Fair point.

I have to admit I often use Thai English pronunciation when talking to Thais. What's really funny is when you pronounce something correctly in English, and a Thai corrects your English with the Thaiglish pronunciation. Enough to drive one to Chang sometimes. Yes, I know latte is not an English origin word but now adopted.

Edited by Jingthing

I need to locate imported sliced beetroot.

I couldn't find it at Villa several weeks back, and Friendship has run out...was getting the NZ Watties brand there.

Has anyone laid eyes on this anywhere? Foodland, Carrefour, Tops and Big C also don't have it.

WHY ??

I buy beetroot at Carrefour, there cheap, easy to cook, slice and pickle

actually it is totally ridiculous using the italian word "latte" (milk) for coffee with added milk :o

Went in yesterday for the first (and probably last) time

Ridiculous pricing - one small jar of Roses Lime Marmalade, one very small jar of bovril and 25 camomile tea bags - 647 baht (nearly ten quid). E-mailed my daughter in UK, she went into her local shop and priced this at under three pounds.

I like these things, but I can well do without them at these extortionate prices.

I will in future stick to fair value shops, such as Friendship.

Went for the 1st time yesterday..... notice that some Thai stuff was cheaper at Villa than at Big C/Tesco/Carrefour...

On another note looked a NZ Cheddar Cheese [friend buys 2kg when he goes to Pattaya 620 baht at Friendship] Villa same cheese same packing priced 820 baht !!!!!!

Personally, I find Starbucks products overpriced, which is probably why many customers seem to sit for hours on one cup of coffee, or in some places just use the tables without buying anything.

Some of the locations are very convenient - like hospitals, and the one inside the Kasikorn Bank on Soi 33 in the early morning, and there are also good locations for informal business meetings; for the price of two coffees you can sit for hours in air-conditioned comfort and discuss deals.

But why on earth anyone should be in any way embarrassed to have a coffee at SB, or even bother to start an internet debate on the matter (including me!!) is beyond my (logical?) comprehension.

Starbucks have their product and their target market, and if you're not one of them, give it a miss.

BTW I've yet to visit the new Villa. Is it just me, or does anyone else who lives East of Pattaya ('The Darkside') find the location inconvenient? I find it very easy to drive down Pattaya Klang to Carrefour or Foodland from Sukhumvit and very rarely get held up in traffic. But to get to The Avenue on second Road at almost any time of the day or night from Sukhumvit is a nightmare. I either have to turn down Pattaya Tai, and drive all the way down to 2nd Road (which takes 'hours'), and then take a left into 2nd Road (yet more congestion) to get to Villa, or alternatively I could go all the way down Pattaya Klang to Beach Road ('hours' again) and then do a circle up Soi 13/2 to get onto 2nd Road and then to Villa. By the time I have done either of these journeys I could have finished my shopping at Foodland or Carrefour and be on my way home. :o

One day I might try it - maybe in the "off season". :D

BTW I've yet to visit the new Villa. Is it just me, or does anyone else who lives East of Pattaya ('The Darkside') find the location inconvenient? I find it very easy to drive down Pattaya Klang to Carrefour or Foodland from Sukhumvit and very rarely get held up in traffic. But to get to The Avenue on second Road at almost any time of the day or night from Sukhumvit is a nightmare. I either have to turn down Pattaya Tai, and drive all the way down to 2nd Road (which takes 'hours'), and then take a left into 2nd Road (yet more congestion) to get to Villa, or alternatively I could go all the way down Pattaya Klang to Beach Road ('hours' again) and then do a circle up Soi 13/2 to get onto 2nd Road and then to Villa. By the time I have done either of these journeys I could have finished my shopping at Foodland or Carrefour and be on my way home. :o

One day I might try it - maybe in the "off season". :D

Depending which way you come in here is a shortcut..............

I hit Sukhumvit from Soi Khao Noi...head down Suk towards South Rd and do a U-turn heading back towards Pattaya Klang about 200m b4 Pattaya Klang there is a back road with a thai open air restaurant on the corner that runs parallel with middle road you go down it and over Soi Arunothai into soi sophon and then onto third rd...............along 3rd road and turn right into soi lengkee then left when you hit soi bourkhao and along about 200m then make a right into soi 17 (where the Mercure hotel is located) and enter Villa from the rear :D

Even if you are coming from sth rd direction along suk you miss all the traffic and lights.

Alternatively you could head down sth road and make a right at the lights onto 3rd road then go along to soi lengkee and go in the back way again.

no , no, dont say anything i/ll grab my anorak on the way out. :D

(Edit.......while i/m on the thread, the bike parking out the back of the Avenue complex is totally inadequate.............maybe Villa can have a word with the powers that be?)

Edited by thaiflyer1

Depending which way you come in here is a shortcut..............

I hit Sukhumvit from Soi Khao Noi...head down Suk towards South Rd and do a U-turn heading back towards Pattaya Klang about 200m b4 Pattaya Klang there is a back road with a thai open air restaurant on the corner that runs parallel with middle road you go down it and over Soi Arunothai into soi sophon and then onto third rd...............along 3rd road and turn right into soi lengkee then left when you hit soi bourkhao and along about 200m then make a right into soi 17 (where the Mercure hotel is located) and enter Villa from the rear :D

Even if you are coming from sth rd direction along suk you miss all the traffic and lights.

Alternatively you could head down sth road and make a right at the lights onto 3rd road then go along to soi lengkee and go in the back way again.

no , no, dont say anything i/ll grab my anorak on the way out. :D

(Edit.......while i/m on the thread, the bike parking out the back of the Avenue complex is totally inadequate.............maybe Villa can have a word with the powers that be?)

Hmm - thanks for all that :o .

I'll have to get out my trusty maps and have a good study and see if I can follow your directions..

I assume by your comment at the end that you use a motorbike? Now while admitting that all roads take all vehicles, I have found that many of these smaller roads can be a bit problematic in my ubiquitous (boring!) Fortuner, which is why I usually stick to the 'main' roads whenever possible.

I'm always game to try a new route though, but I still reckon I'll do most of my shopping in Pattaya Klang, where I never have a problem to park quickly and without fuss.

I'm always game to try a new route though, but I still reckon I'll do most of my shopping in Pattaya Klang, where I never have a problem to park quickly and without fuss.

My big gripe with Carrefour are the checkouts ,they are far too slow coupled witht the fact that the bar codes on produce never seem to scan correctly and end up having to be entered into the register manually.

Yes , you are right i nearly always go shopping on the bike............that said you'd have no problem getting a Fortuner down any of the Soi's mentioned.

My big gripe with Carrefour are the checkouts ,they are far too slow coupled witht the fact that the bar codes on produce never seem to scan correctly and end up having to be entered into the register manually.

Yes , you are right i nearly always go shopping on the bike............that said you'd have no problem getting a Fortuner down any of the Soi's mentioned.

Don't disagree with you - and some of the staff in electrical (TV's etc) are amongst the lasiest and rudest I have ever encountered in Thailand.

One has to balance traffic with all these other issues.

Most of the time I sit and and have coffee, (no expensive Starbucks in Carrefour), and watch the world go by, while Mrs Mobi wrestles with cashiers and bar codes. :o

My personal favourite grocery store is Freindship as it's always easy to park, and I can take a short walk to Tuk Com which is my very, very favourite store. But the wife prefers Carrefour and Foodland, although when we lived in BKK she was a frequent shopper in Villa, and Fuji - now there's an interesting place if you like Japanese produce. :D

actually it is totally ridiculous using the italian word "latte" (milk) for coffee with added milk :o

especially when they offer coffee with milk on the same menu!

Fair point.

I have to admit I often use Thai English pronunciation when talking to Thais. What's really funny is when you pronounce something correctly in English, and a Thai corrects your English with the Thaiglish pronunciation. Enough to drive one to Chang sometimes. Yes, I know latte is not an English origin word but now adopted.

I'll be willing to bet you said "Chang" incorrectly too!