What Happened To The Rainy Season?

Donnyboy

its been rather odd having seriously little rain to speak of this monsoon season.

It seems most other parts of the country has been hit by downpours and we get bugger all.

Maybe Ive sleep walked thru this season or something- mind you, the Rugby World Cup was on this year during sept-oct. :o

Most years, its rained on a daily basis but we havent had that this year.

no compliants really but just wondered. Anyone got any thoughts?

So far I know, it's always been a bit up and down: one year too little and the other year too much.

Maybe because last year they have been pee-ing so much up there, they prefer to save for next year. :o

Nienke

I agree Donnyboy. Just haven't seen the same heavy pounding that we usually get, and the flooded intersections and such. It always makes for adventure and gives pause to a busy day to witness mother nature letting us have it. The only good thumping I really remember was one big pre-season storm that hit in late March or April one night. And then maybe one other one after that. Given that there's no real bad flooding and losses of property and otherwise, the rainy season is a thrill to this CA boy.... where weather is usually rather tame (winds and fires excepted!). Oh well, gonna have to wait till next year I suppose.

And as further point to yours, I do monitor the Thai weather radars links daily in the rainy season, and yeah, we reall got skipped over- Chiang Rai got it good, Isaan had their share even recently, BKK always has its fun, and now the South is still getting it. For the weather radar link you have to dig out Jai Dee's post with links... a totally great resource. Too bad it got pulled from the pinned section. Best weather resource I've found in Thailand!

its been rather odd having seriously little rain to speak of this monsoon season.

It seems most other parts of the country has been hit by downpours and we get bugger all.

Maybe Ive sleep walked thru this season or something- mind you, the Rugby World Cup was on this year during sept-oct. :o

Most years, its rained on a daily basis but we havent had that this year.

no compliants really but just wondered. Anyone got any thoughts?

Johnny Wilkinson must have got his boot to it !!!

Wish he lived in Australia !

I reckon if every Aussie put up just $1 each, he could have been enticed to live there.

Cheers

Maybe I'll be moaning for rain in a few more months, but I've always preferred convertibles with the top down and motorcycles. Did it rain at all this week while I dodged some wet stuff in Hua Hin?

Nothing. Still!

'Citylife' were correct to report that the level of Mae Kuang Dam at Doi Saket is down to the pebbles, but i wish they'd got someone in authority to give us a guesstimate re possible drought after the year end. It happened in 1999 or 2000, with water being turned off with no notice for hours in different parts of the city.

How about the level up at Mae Gnat, north east of Mae Melai?

I feel a drought coming on............

Nearly 15 years in Chiangmai and this seemed to be the driest wet season I can remember.

You forget that rainy season started VERY early this year - early April instead of the end of May when it usually starts. All in all, we still might have had more rain for all year than we usually do.

Nearly 15 years in Chiangmai and this seemed to be the driest wet season I can remember.

You forget that rainy season started VERY early this year - early April instead of the end of May when it usually starts. All in all, we still might have had more rain for all year than we usually do.

Thats true . I must say that in Chiangmai almost no rain .

But while going back and forth from CD and CM , Cm dry CD lots of rain .

But indeed far less then usual .

Well it's the end of the wet season anyways. It's END of October! Remember, this is not Samui where things keep going sometimes into December.

I think so far the wet season has not been too dry, we simply avoided prolonged periods of heavy downpoors of the type that cause flooding and misery. I think we've had good rain, but not for days on end: PERFECT.

Look at the reservoirs, I think we're good to go for the coming months.

Yes, it's been a lot drier this year. That will probably mean even more cuts in the water supply than normal in a few months time.

It's easy to see when the rainy season starts and finishes, just look up to the sky. During the rainy season the winds are from the wetter south/south west, during the dry season the winds are from the dry north/north east. Just look to see which way the clouds are moving.

The wind direction changed about 10 days ago, so it's now the dry season.