Head Of Immigration Removed And Transferred To The South

Thaising

It always irks me that the punishment for government staff who do not peform well is to transfer them 'to the South'. Presumably they are being punished for being corrupt, incompetent or whatever. Thailand can never even begin to solve the troubles in the deep south unless they start sending the brightest and the best of their officials 'to the South'. What sort of signal to the local population does this shortsighted policy convey??

Simon

It always irks me that the punishment for government staff who do not peform well is to transfer them 'to the South'. Presumably they are being punished for being corrupt, incompetent or whatever. Thailand can never even begin to solve the troubles in the deep south unless they start sending the brightest and the best of their officials 'to the South'. What sort of signal to the local population does this shortsighted policy convey??

Simon

Trust me, it is not only the more remote provinces in the south that receive the more extreme malfeasants and misfeasants within the Thai bureaucracy.

Simon

spot on Simon ,

sent to the south as punishment .................

been going on for too long .

National Reconciliation anyone ??

...Does his transferred related to the immigration rules bring implemented lately?

Let’s give credit where credit is due. The new rules, ie Thai Royal Police Orders 606/2549 (rules for extension of stay) and 608/2549 (limitation of visa-exempt stay) are not the rules of the Immigration Commissioner; they were signed by “Pol. Gen. Kowit Wattana, Commissioner-General, Royal Thai Police Headquarters”. If I remember correctly, this general has since then been promoted to another office.

It is true, however, that the implementation and enforcement of these Royal Thai Police Orders is, to the best of my knowledge, in the care of the Immigration Bureau, of which the Immigration Commissioner is the top man, I believe. Is it this gentleman, Police Lt.Gen.Boonraung Ponpanich, the telvision news report was about?

--

Maestro

Late news, Chief of Thai Immigration has been remove and ordered have him transferred to the south.

Does his transferred related to the immigration rules bring implemented lately?

The news I read said he was transferred because of a recent holding of the brother in law of the Nepal King by his police for 2 days - not responsive to the diplomatic situation. Also not responsive to the National Police's policy in the recent transfer/promotion of police officers under this general - i.e. his higher bosses wanted certain personnel changes but this general had his own idea. There was another 1 or 2 minor reasons given.

I have alittle more insight into what truly happened.

My neighbour works in the immigratiom office, and holds a good rank ( I forget now what it is).

Every person that overstays or has to pay a fine to immigration is put in a single coffer and distributed to all works at the end of each month, at certain % for rank and position.

Well the problem was that this man decided that he didn't want to share this money and started to skim the coffer. Some lower ranks got nothing at all of this money for months. Which lead to a mini mutany, closed quickly by his removal. So Public was not allowed to see the whole extent of the problem.

You can tell me I am wrong, which I might be, but I got this from a high ranking immigration officer.

Late news, Chief of Thai Immigration has been remove and ordered have him transferred to the south.

Does his transferred related to the immigration rules bring implemented lately?

Was this ever reported in the Nation of the BKK Post? If so, I must have missed it.

Mac

No, It wasn't reported in both english papers. As you can see most news are more concerned about the king health and politics.

I have alittle more insight into what truly happened.

My neighbour works in the immigratiom office, and holds a good rank ( I forget now what it is).

Every person that overstays or has to pay a fine to immigration is put in a single coffer and distributed to all works at the end of each month, at certain % for rank and position.

Well the problem was that this man decided that he didn't want to share this money and started to skim the coffer. Some lower ranks got nothing at all of this money for months. Which lead to a mini mutany, closed quickly by his removal. So Public was not allowed to see the whole extent of the problem.

You can tell me I am wrong, which I might be, but I got this from a high ranking immigration officer.

Don't know if you are right or not,but it's plausible.

The Immigration Departmebt of the T R P feelings are that the other Branches (namely the Traffic or Highway department),have a bigger slice of the cake,and ARE envyous. :o

• 3 weeks later...

CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS

Former Immigration official files suit agaist PR Department

A former immigration police chief filed a defamation lawsuit against the Public Relations Department yesterday over a news report that said he had ordered the unlawful detention of a Bhutanese royal.

Published on November 21, 2007

Pol Lt-General Bunrueng Pholphanich demanded Bt50 million from the department, its director-general Pramote Ratthawinij and news rewriter Satha Thangdee for saying he ordered the Bhutanese, who was not named, to be detained at the then Immigration Police Bureau for two days.

Bunrueng said the news story on the PRD website on October 28, saying he was transferred from the immigration bureau because of the incident, had tarnished his and his family's image. Bunrueng said he had not ordered the detention, either directly or indirectly.

The Criminal Court accepted the suit and set a preliminary hearing on February 4.

The Nation