Colour

kangeroo

can anyone in tv give some information on what the colour of clothes mean in thailand . eg . yellow shirt for kings birthday ,black and white at the wat when some one dies. Is there colours that people wear say for Monday and every other day of the week ? what about the morning or night time .

cheers :o

On Buddha days it is common to wear white.

Normally there is not a distinction between morning and night but they will commonly wear more ornate clothing later and if the event is special - same as in the West.

Another one is to wear pink just after an operation or illness - as a symbol of recovery. I had to go back 30kms to our house to get something pink when my girlfriend's sister came out of hospital. She didn't want to chance a relapse by not wearing it as she left to go home.

CB

Me too! Though I must say I thought it was a ballsy choice, and he carried it off well!

But - now that I know the reason for pink, why the others? I know yellow is for the king, what else?

that was one of the reasons he wore pink. the other reason being that HM was born in the year of the Rabbit (Chinese Horoscope) is considered a lucky colour for rabbits.

OK, but what about the others? I can totaly get behind this, being possessed of an unusual willingness to believe in signs, etc. so if you can tell me in a way I can use to influence Mr. Man, I can make this happen...at least in my life and his...and have the great joy of feeling Thai...

OK, but what about the others? I can totaly get behind this, being possessed of an unusual willingness to believe in signs, etc. so if you can tell me in a way I can use to influence Mr. Man, I can make this happen...at least in my life and his...and have the great joy of feeling Thai...

Oh now you are getting way out of my knowledge - each of the animals for the chinese calendar cycle have their own colour but there are five serials of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Metal that change them as well. So the colour for a metal rabbit is not the same as say a Air rabbit. I know that as an Earth Dog my colours are Black, Dark Blue, and Red. I used to have a book with the colours in it and it is very interesting.

The colours from the week came from Hindu which was the origin of Buddhism - the Buddha was Indian and raised as a Hindu. The colours are all from the sacred colours in the Sanskrit calendar. In Thailand there is a much more diverse influence in Buddhism because it incorporates many elements from Bhraminism, Hindu, Chinese, the original style as brought in from Sri Lanka, plus the local animistic religions. Much of what Thais do as Buddhism is unknown outside of the country.

CB

At Uni when I was doing general study I was asked to become an English tutor. Instead of my standard of T-shirt and jeans I had to wear a "proper" shirt and black trousers etc. Went to Carre Four and bought 5 shirts same style but in different colours. I didn't realised at the time that they were the colours for five of the days - I missed out Pink for Tuesday and got White instead. I had been wearing my shirts when one of the students asked me why I was wearing Orange on Wednesday instead of the normal Green. I hadn't realised the colour/day combination so got them in the correct sequence. One Tuesday the class asked me why I didn't wear a pink shirt because the white one I normally wore is for Buddha days. I explained that western men don't normally wear pink which they couldn't understand. I was in Carre Four and saw the same shirts and bought a pink one to match the rest. Wore my pink shirt each week. It takes a real man to wear pink.

CB

It takes a real man to wear pink.

With courage inspired by that seal of approval, I'll confess that I've had -- and, yes, worn :o -- the pink polo shirt that I was again wearing around town yesterday before I came home to learn about all the positive Thai associations! :D