Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Giving topic a bump. It has fallen to several pages back from the 1st and that makes it hard to find.

What an amazing coincidence Ubonjoe. Someone posted a reply as you were typing your bump.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vientiane will not issue multiple entry visas (valid for one year) of any type. Only kL will issue multiple entry B visas unless company has 8 million in registered capital then Penang will also.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from vientiane and wanted to add a few quick notes to help CM runners:

took suksatour VIP bus to udon thani, left CM at 8pm but didn't get to udon thani until almost 9am (suppossed to arrive around 7:30am). not sure if the bus driver was slow or the VIP bus goes slower as it is two levels. i think it cost 680 baht.

took suksatour 1st class bus back from udon thani back to CM as VIP was sold out, bus went much faster, left udon thani at 7:30pm and got back to CM at 7:20am. not sure if the 1st class bus goes faster as it is one level . . but this one certainly did. cost less too, i think it was about 540 baht. although VIP has more comfotable seating and it's a little easier to sleep.

suksatour has both VIP and 1st class on the same night now (both ways), but VIP seems to sell out in advance

i was late getting to the TC in Vientianne cause the VIP bus got to udon thani so late, had to stay an extra day . . maybe the 1st class to udon from CM will get you there faster

no motorbike taxis around, had to pay 80 baht for a tuk-tuk to the second bus station in udon to catch the bus to nongkhai

tuk-tuks to and from the TC in to downtown Vientianne cost 100 baht, kind of a rip-off as your paying the farang visa runner price. if you want to save baht, rent a bike or motorbike; there is a place right around the corner from the TC. also a guesthouse really close.

remember, once your in Vientianne, that the TC recently moved and on some maps it is still marked in the old location closer to the Thai Embassy. also make sure tuk tuk and taxi drivers take you to the TC and not the Embassy.

haysoke guest house is a nice place to stay downtown . . good location

when picking up you passport from the TC, it seems best to arrive at around 2pm unless you want to get there early and wait in line and be one of the first ones to get a number (no shade in the line though). pickup time is from 1pm to 3pm. i got there around 1:15 and didn't get my passport until about 2; if i arrived at 2 i would have got it at the sametime . . although this could vary by day i imagine

when returning, there is a bus that leaves from vientianne and goes to udon thani . . i think i got the 3:30 one and it cost 22,000 kip (85 baht?). there is an earlier and later bus though . . really tough to make the earlier one as it is 1:30 i think, but if you are one of the first in line at the TC it is possible

again, 80 baht to get from udon bus station to the udon CM bus station . . tuk-tuk

seems if you want VIP back to CM you have to book in advance . . but if you don't make it to the TC on the first day there could be problem. if you definitely want VIP back, i guess either plan for the extra day or maybe you can call make a phone reservation from Vientianne - OR make sure you make it to the TC the first day :)

hope this helps

Yes, I was planning a trip to get a double tourist visa at the end of the month.

I only have one recent double entry tourist visa in my passport. Prior to that a year extension of a non o. So I'm not sure if I will run the risk of rejection or not!

It does seem that the New Embassy in Vientiane was built specifically to issue tourist visas efficiently, so it is possible that they will take no part in this crackdown.

Hope to see some reports here soon.

At least I do have the option to extend for 30 days at the immigration if reports are not good - will at least give me some breathing space.

There's a 13 page thread covering the politics of the latest back-to-back tourist visa crackdown, but apart from the opening announcement of this crackdown there's nothing in that thread worth reading.

I'll keep my eyes glued to this thread in the hope we'll soon get a report from the consulate in Vientiane. I was due to head back there in about 6 weeks, but I'm not getting my hopes up now.

An education visa is looking like the go now.

There's a 13 page thread covering the politics of the latest back-to-back tourist visa crackdown, but apart from the opening announcement of this crackdown there's nothing in that thread worth reading.

Including one post – by guess who? – quoting four earlier posts followed by this not-worth-reading reply:

<deleted>??!!!! x 2. What is this guy on?

--

Maestro

Including one post – by guess who? – quoting four earlier posts followed by this not-worth-reading reply:

<deleted>??!!!! x 2. What is this guy on?

--

Maestro

Yes, including that reply, nothing worth reading.

Just got back from Vientiane also. My partner and I both got our doubles with no problems!!!! Thanks everyone for walking us through it!!

Yes I live in Udon Thani. You get the Tourist visa for free until March 2010 I believe, and you can ask for 2 visa,s for free.

I have a question.. Is Ventianne the nearest place to Chiang Mai for a visa run.. To go the the Thai Embassy.. is Ventianne the nearest one?

Thanks

Russell

just done free double entry tourist visa.

Just wondering since the crackdown on back to back tourist visa's has any one been to Laos recently...any difficulties????...as the crackdown been put into force???? ....I think of lot of members would really appriciate any info from recent travellers to Laos to renew their visas...I am due to go at the end of the month and have 4 back to back visa's already....not sure what to do next so all advice would be greatly appriciated....

many thanks in advance

Block

just done free double entry tourist visa.

Just wondering since the crackdown on back to back tourist visa's has any one been to Laos recently...any difficulties????...as the crackdown been put into force???? ....I think of lot of members would really appriciate any info from recent travellers to Laos to renew their visas...I am due to go at the end of the month and have 4 back to back visa's already....not sure what to do next so all advice would be greatly appriciated....

many thanks in advance

Block

Got back from

Vientiane today no proplems getting 2nd double entry. But coming back thai IMM OFFICER on checking passport gave me a funny look but got stamped in OK :).

Edited by aazA

Any updates on the Visa issues in Vientiane yet?

There won't be any casualties until Monday. The new crackdown was issued only yesterday.

I don't want to double-post but I'm catching a minibus to Vientiane tonight, hoping to renew my 60+30 tourist visa.

You can read my pre-boarding stats on the crackdown thread:

~/forum/Crackdown-Tourist-Visa-Applicat-t297046.html&st=525&gopid=3012996#entry3012996

Wish me luck and I'll report back when I have safely returned to Thai soil.

Vientiane will not issue multiple entry visas (valid for one year) of any type. Only kL will issue multiple entry B visas unless company has 8 million in registered capital then Penang will also.

I can confirm this as I just got back from applying for a 1 year multi B and they gave me a single entry with a stamp saying I should have the work permit for the next application.

Numbers of people there seemed lower than the last couple of times.

This thread is still about TOURIST VISA issues. Please keep it that way.

Nobody of the average 500-1000 people applying a tourist visa on Monday (passport back on Tuesday afternoon) have complained yet.

IF there would be a serious issue about it........the members or guests would have flood this thread like crazy.

This thread is still about TOURIST VISA issues. Please keep it that way.

Nobody of the average 500-1000 people applying a tourist visa on Monday (passport back on Tuesday afternoon) have complained yet.

IF there would be a serious issue about it........the members or guests would have flood this thread like crazy.

That's unlikely because people who read this forum regularly would not go to Vientiane if they know about the crackdown, which of course they would know from reading here.

There are a few people who are willing to be guinea pigs and have stated that they will try. I must get down to my visa run shop to ask what's happening because they arrange a lot of visa runs to Vientiane and they should know by now.