My Experience Today.................

libya 115

I arrived from Doha into BKK around 6.00pm the immigration/passport control queue was 500 metres long. Surprise...the Customs queue was 300 metres long, then I went to AOT limousine taxi, paid 2600 baht up front for a decent service. The driver pulled up after 30 minutes for a twenty minute coffee break and cigarettes. Then he had the bare-faced ordacity to lecture me on expected tips for the next 90 minutes. I quote him " Indians only give me 100 baht" Well, I called my Mrs. and asked her to meet me in Pattaya and give him..........100 Baht.

P.S. I am not an Indian. IMHO he deserved nothing. The whole reason I hire these limousine taxis from BKK is for a peaceful drive into Pattaya.

I feel better now......discuss and comment........

PS. Good to be back home...........Pattaya is still #1

Libya 115

I arrived from Doha into BKK around 6.00pm the immigration/passport control queue was 500 metres long. Surprise...the Customs queue was 300 metres long,

This aspect seems to be occurring with greater frequency....

Got to agree it does - I have arrived afternoon and evening recently and very long queues

Chinese and Indian colleagues now get visa in advance too as visa on arrival queue is taking so long

My next two flights arrive lunch time in December and January - wonder what it will be like then?

Same experience with long lines my past 2 returns the past month or so. I put it down to high-season. I guess we will have to put up with it for the next 3-4 months :o

Maybe next time pre-book your return taxi with a Pattaya taxi agent (if you know your return details in advance). Save a little money.

I arrived from Doha into BKK around 6.00pm the immigration/passport control queue was 500 metres long. Surprise...the Customs queue was 300 metres long,

I arrived Bangkok from Shanghai at 9.20pm yesterday and there was only one person in the immigration queue, so it took me less than 2 minutes to pass through.

I got a meter taxi with a very pleasant driver who took me straight home, did not pass go and charged me the meter price plus the usual 50 Baht.

I have never had any problem with the airport or the taxi drivers and i travel in and out on a regular basis, but if you read my previous posts you will see that my Thai wife has had problems.

It must depend on the time of day and the people involved. Just my experience.

Cheers, Rick

I arrived Bangkok from Shanghai at 9.20pm yesterday and there was only one person in the immigration queue, so it took me less than 2 minutes to pass through.

I got a meter taxi with a very pleasant driver who took me straight home, did not pass go and charged me the meter price plus the usual 50 Baht.

I have never had any problem with the airport or the taxi drivers and i travel in and out on a regular basis, but if you read my previous posts you will see that my Thai wife has had problems.

It must depend on the time of day and the people involved. Just my experience.

Cheers, Rick

Definately time of the day with regard to the Imm queues - flights from certain locations tend to have passengers who take longer to get processed and Chinese tour groups can be hilarious (if you are not in a hurry behind them).

As for taxi's I never have a problem with metre taxi's I use when travelling for personal visits and for biz visits I get a limo so I get a receipt and no problem there.

A couple of months ago though the touts were getting too bloody aggressive - they are worse I found when I arrived late evening as its maybe getting to be their last chance of a ride. Actually touching and pulling I was trying to go to the metre taxi queue (and their total insistance I must be going to Pattaya is a little concerting :o )

What customs line, you just get your bags and go home. At least that is what I have done the last 40 times, SV and DM.

I did see one recently - and people were just joining on the end of it to have their bags x-rayed as if that was what they had to do - I walked around and out

The last time I flew in my wife surprised me and met me at the airport. I was getting quite impatient as she hunted for a taxi. The problem was that she was only willing to pay 1,000 baht to Pattaya. I told her 1,200 was OK. No dice. The 1,000 was maximum. She finally found one and off we went. The driver bitched all the way about kee nio. My wife grinned all the way. I did give him a 100 baht tip.

I keep finding lately that if I get through immigration quickly I then have to wait a half hour or more to get my luggage. If it takes an hour to get through immigration as it has done twice this month then my bags have been removed from the carousel and I have to walk around trying to find where they have ended up. :o

Coming back the other night I was only approached once inside the airport for a taxi but as soon as l walked outside there must have been 20 people descend on me wanting me to go in their "official taxi" I kept walking and they didn't follow but in the 100 meters to the taxi desk 4 other people approached me offering "official taxi" :D What's that all about? Did all the touts inside get kicked out so now they carry on the same but outside?

Maybe it's time for some glasses but I didn't see any directions for where to get a taxi. I know where to go myself but it must be confusing if you don't.

At the taxi desk I got a taxi without any problems, used the meter without prompting so at least that part of things is working.

...and exactly WHY do you tip a taxi driver who is driving on a fixed fare?

Normally I don't tip pre-paid limousine taxis from BKK airport. The reason I use the AOT limousine service is because usually the level of service is good, the vehicle is a very good standard and the driver is professional and says nothing and lets me doze off in the back.

Then I give the printed receipt to my employers and I am refunded the full fee.

However on this occassion I was very unfortunate I got a loony tune driver. I followed my instincts and just kept him in good humour because I am not exaggerating, he was really wound up tight, a mixture of festering anger, constant conversation and talking jibberish about tips for 90 minutes.

When my Mrs gave him 100 baht he said nothing, not even thanks, scowled and drove off.

Really, if I could be bothered I should report the whole incident to AOT because I have all the details of this nutcase on the receipt, but I won't do anything. TIT

By the way, I will continue using them, and I expect next time the driver will be quiet and courteus as usually they are.

Edited by libya 115