Restaurant Review: Sunrise Tacos, Close To Nana

canadiangirl

Thai food is great, but sometimes a girl just craves some cheese!

I gave Sunrise Tacos a try a few days ago, in the Nana location.

I had three soft corn tacos for 139B, with chicken, pork and pulled beef.

The soft tortillas were delicious, but even two layers of tortilla wasn't enough to keep my tacos from disintegrating, and i had to eat most of them with a fork.

The tacos were bland, but in a comfort food sort of way that is not necessarily bad. I tried the different salsas, and being used to som tam, didn't find any of them very spicy. The chicken and pork were very tasty, I didn't like the beef as much.

The portions were *huge* and I couldn't finish it all. One taco would probably have been enough for me.

The restaurant is cheerful, even though the parking lot view isn't the best. The staff seemed a bit harassed, and some members of the staff were chewing out the younger waitresses. One drawback of the Nana location is the other patrons: there was a group of really loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow, yelling at the waitress, but that's a problem with other restaurants in the area too. I might avoid the Nana location and go to Emporium in the future.

Overall, Sunrise isn't perfect, but I think it's good value for money, and I'll be back when I have another taco craving! :-)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That translates to about $4.20. I am sorry but that is just too expensive for a semi fast food joint. About $1 cheaper would be appropriate...especially for Thailand. As an American, I am guilty of converting everything to U.S dollars. Since I live here, I just don't go around paying American prices for everything or I would go broke. Geez...this is Thailand..remember?? I really like Sunrise Taco, but I'm not a tourist so I cannot spend like one. I am willing to go there for "special cravings". I also don't want to single them out, as most tourist area places have inflated prices.

As an American, I am guilty of converting everything to U.S dollars.

Convert to Euros or Pounds and it will seem cheaper.

Come on, this is decent Mexican food in a country where that is very rare, in other words, a rather rare LUXURY item. Not a luxury item in East LA, but surely one here.

Pad Thai is 250 baht up in the US, get the connection?

Edited by Jingthing

There are several longish threads on Sunrise Tacos in the "Western Food in Thailand" subforum.

The Sukhumvit Soi 12 locations (original and new, facing each other across the parking lot) are actually closer to Asoke than Nana, and are open 24 hours. The Emporium location has more limited hours.

I've been to the Soi 12 location ~ 30 times, maybe half eat-in and half take-away (and one delivery). I've never seen any boorish behavior by customers, even Canadians.

I am very happy with the quality, service and price.

The soft tortillas were delicious, but even two layers of tortilla wasn't enough to keep my tacos from disintegrating, and i had to eat most of them with a fork.

The tacos were bland, but in a comfort food sort of way that is not necessarily bad. I tried the different salsas, and being used to som tam, didn't find any of them very spicy. The chicken and pork were very tasty, I didn't like the beef as much.

The portions were *huge* and I couldn't finish it all. One taco would probably have been enough for me.

The restaurant is cheerful, even though the parking lot view isn't the best. The staff seemed a bit harassed, and some members of the staff were chewing out the younger waitresses. One drawback of the Nana location is the other patrons: there was a group of really loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow, yelling at the waitress, but that's a problem with other restaurants in the area too. I might avoid the Nana location and go to Emporium in the future.

Overall, Sunrise isn't perfect, but I think it's good value for money, and I'll be back when I have another taco craving! :-)

Loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow?

Your prejudice is showing.

Loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow?

Your prejudice is showing.

They could have been Canadians, eh?

Yes, canadiangirl. I am most disturbed by you writing. You should have written "average sounding, normal weight americans with average behaviour. Hired, but not by the army." Never judge ppl by thier origin. :o

Edited by Hawkup2000

Agree with most of this, except I wouldn't say the food is bland - although some really spicy salsa would be a good addition. They have some at Coyote which really does blow your head off, I would welcome that level of spiciness as an option at Sunrise Tacos.

Don't think the staff are really harassed at Sunrise, just busy and sometimes a bit stressed.

I like sunrise tacos, comparing them to thai food... is a mistake.

Canadiangirl, there is one thing about your post that bothers me.... that location is right beside the ASOK BTS station and asok road.... please dont call it the nana location unless nana means all up and down sukhumvit for 10 km in either direction to you. There is a HUGE difference between the kind of people that frequent nana and the kind of people the frequent Asok. Like night and day. Dont understand why you keep referring to it as nana.... the clientelle the day you went is not common.

Damian

I like Sunrise Tacos because they deliver 24/7, otherwise, nothing fancy, I'd better go for Coyote, the food is much better as far as mexican food goes. Sunrise Tacos is pretty fairly priced, but the delivery service sux. The operators have no idea about what they're selling, the delivery fare is way too expensive and it takes ages to arrive.

Canadiangirl, there is one thing about your post that bothers me.... that location is right beside the ASOK BTS station and asok road.... please dont call it the nana location unless nana means all up and down sukhumvit for 10 km in either direction to you. There is a HUGE difference between the kind of people that frequent nana and the kind of people the frequent Asok. Like night and day. Dont understand why you keep referring to it as nana.... the clientelle the day you went is not common.

Damian

Yes, Soi Cowboy patrons are MUCH more high class than the Nana scum. Don't make such a big mistake ever again! :o

You can always go to Taco Loco on Silom in the J Plaza, same place as the KFC, Lebanon Restaurant and Subway.

TH

Sunrise is streets ahead of Taco Loco in every way.

Yes about 12 blocks up and 3 blocks to the right :o

But anyway, The soft Taco was good , was late at night so not crowded ( about 3 am ) but the cashier was sleeping when i walked in so i had plenty of time to decide what to order.

Cheers.

nana and asok same same. one has cowboy entertainment plaza and one has nana ent plaza. actually nana patrons r of better quality, hi so one might say.

im going to asok an give it a try i get tired of going to empoium with all the loud, fat , smelly canadians........lol, and thats just the chicks.........lol.

welcome to Thailand and the bulk of Greg's clientele at his restaurants. Without those people, he'd be out of business. I should know, that's my neighborhood and I worship it

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

Thanks for stopping by.

You had the soft corn tortillas which we make by hand. Sorry they didn’t stay together and were not up to my standards. The key to not having them fall apart is the tortilla maker who has to cook them exactly the right way. This is a craft that a Mexican learns as a child but gringos find harder. We continue to train our staff. Most get it but if it only takes one not to do it the right way. Some know but "forget".Overall the freshness comes thru and why we do it this way rather than buying from the store. If the right person is making the soft corn tortilla, its pure delight. Its 100 % ground corn, lime and a pinch of salt. That’s it.

Try the Johns Super Hot Salsa. We use a good amount of habaneros chilies in it. Most habaneros will rate between 200,000 and 300,000 Scoville units compared to jalapenos which are 2,500 to 10,000 scoville units of hot.

Thanks

The restaurant is cheerful, even though the parking lot view isn't the best.

I surmise you ate at the old original location which has the seats facing the parking lot. We have outgrown this location and did build a new location across the parking lot with 50 more seats. This is what a number of people complained before about was the parking lot view which we have rectified by expanding.

The staff seemed a bit harassed, and some members of the staff were chewing out the younger waitresses. One drawback of the Nana location is the other patrons: there was a group of really loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow, yelling at the waitress, but that's a problem with other restaurants in the area too. I might avoid the Nana location and go to Emporium in the future.

They were very shorthanded that weekend. a number of staff called in sick and with me being in the States for the holidays does not help any. The Emporium location is good but does not have the soft corn option. Only soft flour or crispy tortillas for tacos.

We will be opening the third location at the Siam Paragon on Jan 15th 2008. It will be near the check out counters of the supermarket at the ground floor. Walk straight back from the Subway/ Starbucks area and you'll find it. I hope to have soft corn tacos here as well.

Perfect.... I agree it isn't. Not sure if we'll ever be perfect unless I bring in a bunch of Mexicans that can speak English a well. For Asia in a number of peoples eyes, were considered one of the best Mexican restaurants but compared to the service and quality ( of course the prices are higher) in the States, we have a ways to go. Some things though we are top shelf like our guacamole. We are the cats meow on this. Also you are correct, our portions are very good for tacos. Bigger than anything I've been served in 13 restaurants the last 10 days. I will continue to try to improve for 2008.

Please say “Hi” the next time you visit.

www.sunrisetacos.com

That translates to about $4.20. I am sorry but that is just too expensive for a semi fast food joint. About $1 cheaper would be appropriate...especially for Thailand. As an American, I am guilty of converting everything to U.S dollars. Since I live here, I just don't go around paying American prices for everything or I would go broke. Geez...this is Thailand..remember?? I really like Sunrise Taco, but I'm not a tourist so I cannot spend like one. I am willing to go there for "special cravings". I also don't want to single them out, as most tourist area places have inflated prices.

My prices were lower when we first opened. But since then chicken and pork have gone up 50%. Cheese and sour cream prices has gone up over 50%. Jalapenos, beans, avocados, tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers have all gone up as well. Ziploc bags, paper bags and aluminum foil have gone up.

When it comes down to it, almost everything we use has gone up in the last 6 months. We are still cheaper than any other Mexican place in Bangkok. I wish we could be lower but with the cost of items, sorry we can’t be.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I like Sunrise Tacos because they deliver 24/7, otherwise, nothing fancy, I'd better go for Coyote, the food is much better as far as mexican food goes. Sunrise Tacos is pretty fairly priced, but the delivery service sux. The operators have no idea about what they're selling, the delivery fare is way too expensive and it takes ages to arrive.

By the way, we now deliver 24 hours a day and do around 35 deliveries a day.

However next week during 10:30 a.m till 10:30 p.m. we'll be outsourcing this to chefsxpress http://www.chefsxp.com/restaurants.php This will be easier for customers to get our food with no mark up like some other services.

They will have unlimited Thai/English speaking call-center staff with unlimited well-groomed riders with ChefsXP uniform (white chef outfit with white/red cap) and all delivery in Bangkok will be made with hotbag technology.

www.sunrisetacos.com

.... However next week during 10:30 a.m till 10:30 p.m......

Oh :D:D:D Its now 10:45. Ok, Tomorrow, I will order earlier :o

Ok, I will stop being lazy and get in a Taxi

CHIPS AND GUACAMOLE 99 Baht

NACHOS (Melted cheese over tortilla chips) 89 Baht

I know what I am going to eat

However next week during 10:30 a.m till 10:30 p.m. we'll be outsourcing this to chefsxpress http://www.chefsxp.com/restaurants.php This will be easier for customers to get our food with no mark up like some other services.

They will have unlimited Thai/English speaking call-center staff with unlimited well-groomed riders with ChefsXP uniform (white chef outfit with white/red cap) and all delivery in Bangkok will be made with hotbag technology.

www.sunrisetacos.com

that great news! I will be ordering alot more now :o ....

www.sunrisetacos.com

That is good news, i stopped ordering from there cos of the borderline rude/abrupt lady on the phone saying she wont deliver to my area (silom/sathorn) - with ChefXP i will order from Sunrise thro them!

.... However next week during 10:30 a.m till 10:30 p.m......

Oh :D:D:D Its now 10:45. Ok, Tomorrow, I will order earlier :o

Ok, I will stop being lazy and get in a Taxi

CHIPS AND GUACAMOLE 99 Baht

NACHOS (Melted cheese over tortilla chips) 89 Baht

I know what I am going to eat

I met the guy this morning and we are expected to sign next week. We are talking about phasing in as he needs to hire more drivers with the amount of deliveries we do now and will be doing. Hopefully everything should be up 100% soon in the meantime just please call our store at 02-229-4851

www.sunrisetacos.com

That is good news, i stopped ordering from there cos of the borderlin

e rude/abrupt lady on the phone saying she wont deliver to my area (silom/sathorn) - with ChefXP i will order from Sunrise thro them!

Sorry for the lady. One of the reasons we are going with ChefsXp as its hard on my staff taking the phone order and take care of customers. Now we'll let the pros take the order.

We now deliver most of the time to Silom but with ChefsXP, it will be all the time.

www.sunrisetacos.com

www.sunrisetacos.com

That's good news, but mostly, I for one, order late at night. I think you guys should have your own web form where people can order online, hassle free.