Watching Pc Video Files On Tv, New Option

pgrin

I've purchased an AppleTV about 6 months ago and connected it onto my wifi 802.11n network - I'm in paradise. My iTunes library can be synced or streamed to the AppleTV, I can even watch YouTube on the AppleTV, pretty cool when you're bored and want to watch some funny vids.

The only downside is that everything I download must be re-encoded in the proper format, but it takes about only 4 minutes to re-encode a 40 minutes TV show in the proper format. It has the advantage of having a clean library and everything is added to iTunes (TV shows, movies and music) with the same encoding at the same place, etc.

well, you know, you could always play movies from your pc using the AV in/out ports to either your CD player or even as far back as your video tape player. Don't need to rush out and buy a new DVD player just because it has a USB port.

Yeah - but there is a huge difference between things that can be done, and things that are sensible to do. I have tried the computer-to-TV thing before and by the time you have it set up the missus is usually asleep. My laptop even has a remote control yet I wouldn't recommend it.

The DVD player just works, it sits there, it's already connected, time from cold start -> watching a movie is less than 1 minute. And it costs 1400 Baht.. so really, it's a much, much better option.

I've purchased an AppleTV about 6 months ago and connected it onto my wifi 802.11n network - I'm in paradise. My iTunes library can be synced or streamed to the AppleTV, I can even watch YouTube on the AppleTV, pretty cool when you're bored and want to watch some funny vids.

The only downside is that everything I download must be re-encoded in the proper format, but it takes about only 4 minutes to re-encode a 40 minutes TV show in the proper format. It has the advantage of having a clean library and everything is added to iTunes (TV shows, movies and music) with the same encoding at the same place, etc.

I have a DVD player with USB in but the concept is so good I am already looking for better options - AppleTV being one of them. I bet that things like FFWD / scan work just perfectly on the AppleTV. Automatic sync with iTunes is also a plus.

However, the big question mark is how do you re-encode things? I now have a bunch of AVI files encoded with DivX. I know QuickTime can't play those so how do I get them to be in an Apple-recognized format? I would like to know the exact steps if you don't mind - I am sure it "can be done" but what's much more interesting is how easily can it be done.

Another question for all: Which is the best USB DVD player? I have a BHT 4000 model from Panasonic. It's so far played everything I threw at it, but it has two major flaws:

- It doesn't play files in order - so you have to go back to the menu and select episode 3 after ep 2. The file names seem to be alphabetically sorted but they still show up in random order in the on screen menu.

- It's not particularly good about fast forward / resume. It doesn't resume after it's been turned off. And the FFWD is very slow and doesn't show how fast it is. I'd want it to do 2x, 4x, 8x, 50x like my DVD player and show the FFWD rate on-screen.

I'm still getting up to speed on this but it appears that some DVD players require the USB-attached storage device to be formatted in FAT32.

That's a good point and you are right. I have some devices like that and even one that requires FAT and not FAT32. This does limit you to 32GB per partition.

Nah, I have 120GB FAT32 partitions. The only problem is the file size limit of 2GB.

The USB DVD players can only read FAT/FAT32 - the format is well known and very simple.

Can anyone tell me of any player (up to 20k baht I guess) that will play H264/ AVC files ?? Must do multi channel AAC encoded audio of course.. I would prefer a networked one but will live with USB if I had to (just need an 8GB stick)

I have loaded a load of hidef files onto my USB sticks and never had any success getting any playback ??

I am not interested in basic xvid/DivX playback.. I can do that over xbox 360's on the home net anyway.. But the xbox chokes on the multichannel AAC and so I am looking at spending >1000 USD on building ANOTHER HTPC just to stream my hidef content around.

If anyone is confused by the type of hidef (blu ray / HD-DVD rips) I mean, PM me and I will sent a torrent site.

I have a DVD player with USB in but the concept is so good I am already looking for better options - AppleTV being one of them. I bet that things like FFWD / scan work just perfectly on the AppleTV. Automatic sync with iTunes is also a plus.

However, the big question mark is how do you re-encode things? I now have a bunch of AVI files encoded with DivX. I know QuickTime can't play those so how do I get them to be in an Apple-recognized format? I would like to know the exact steps if you don't mind - I am sure it "can be done" but what's much more interesting is how easily can it be done.

Another question for all: Which is the best USB DVD player? I have a BHT 4000 model from Panasonic. It's so far played everything I threw at it, but it has two major flaws:

- It doesn't play files in order - so you have to go back to the menu and select episode 3 after ep 2. The file names seem to be alphabetically sorted but they still show up in random order in the on screen menu.

- It's not particularly good about fast forward / resume. It doesn't resume after it's been turned off. And the FFWD is very slow and doesn't show how fast it is. I'd want it to do 2x, 4x, 8x, 50x like my DVD player and show the FFWD rate on-screen.

Apple is a very very closed shop, once you go that direction then you are stuck with it, keep with DivX and MP3 and you'll be fine

My external drive case has its own built in power supply so not really practical for trying at the shop.

During my last visit to Tesco I was looking for a Divx player with USB but could not see one. They had Divx players and USB players but not together, so decided to leave it for the time being and have another look on the next visit.

In the meantime Ms D showed me a player for 999bt from the 7-11 catalogue. This player though it does not have USB has played everything I’ve thrown at it so far. Just need to do a lot a disc burning, but am able get up to 4 movies on a DVD it’s not so bad.

Buying stuff from the 7-11 catalogue is not my preferred choice but as we don’t get into town all that much it has merit. :o

D.D.

:D

During my last visit to Tesco I was looking for a Divx player with USB but could not see one. They had Divx players and USB players but not together,

Are you sure they were properly labelled

and the salesman knew what he was talking about? :o

I test with a USB stick seems the best check, as previously suggested.

During my last visit to Tesco I was looking for a Divx player with USB but could not see one. They had Divx players and USB players but not together,

Are you sure they were properly labelled

and the salesman knew what he was talking about? :D

I test with a USB stick seems the best check, as previously suggested.

Well, at that time it had not occurred to me to take along a USB stick for testing. What a great forum this is learn something new all the time.

I’ve got a 1g stick that I can load up with a couple of different formats and will definitely take that next time.

The salesmen at the time were actually quite helpful even jokingly suggesting I buy two players and sticking them together. :o But you are right the labels don’t always say everything.

Daffy.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Over the last 6 months to a year ago I started noticing a lot of low end DVD players for sale in Thailand included a USB port. Out of curiosity I loaded a movie from my computer on to a thumb drive and took it to CarreFourre and Big C. The DVD players recognized the drive and had the proper codec to play the movies on the TV display. I saw a DVD player at Big C for 800 baht that had this feature. I bought a player for 1400 baht and tried it at home and it works great. I have about 30 movies as well as the complete set of Heroes and Lost that I downloaded as avi files. Now I just "send to" removable disc E and plug into my DVD player. The picture and sound quality is excellent and there are no moving parts. I'm still beta testing with different extensions but so far I am pleased.

P

Hi,

Sorry about being a bit navive bout all this com stuff but i have just started downloading things and new to all this lark.

Just a wee query about USB to DVD to TV. I am correct in thinking that you just copy your download as an AVI file on to your USB drive and put into the USB port in the DVD and it just plays the show/movie on the TV or do i have to burn the AVI file on Nero and then place it in the USB DVD Port and then play it. Need to know before i buy a cheapie DVD player. I am in the same boat as you with my computer upstairs and my TV downstairs and it is a hassle running cables all over the place.

Regards

JJP

I purchased a DVD player yesterday , a phillips - HDMI out and USB host

I took a memory stick with me with an Xvid avi file on it to test - the specs said DivX and WMV and the salesperson did not understand Xvid - but it played fine

the avi does not have to be burned(imaged) via nero .

it was a 2gig USB stick , I have not tried it with a USB hard drive yet and I am not sure what mA the host supplies - I will try it with a USB external drive with its own power suppy soon also

If anyone is confused by the type of hidef (blu ray / HD-DVD rips) I mean, PM me and I will sent a torrent site.

Why don't you just post the link? Lots of people are looking for HD torrents, but they are very very rare.

They are part of mpeg-4 standard, but that standard includes lots of other stuff, like movies for PSP, Ipod, and even mobile phones. I doubt mpeg4 players can decode High Definition videos.

I just plug the TV into the notebook, but if you don't have one, then USB+DVD player is an easy solution, I agree.

Can anyone tell me of any player (up to 20k baht I guess) that will play H264/ AVC files ?? Must do multi channel AAC encoded audio of course.. I would prefer a networked one but will live with USB if I had to (just need an 8GB stick)

I think Apple TV would play those files and it also can be networked (ethernet and WiFi) but it doesn't seem to do much else, won't play most other formats. Also seems like resolutions aren't great :o

For 30+ years of professional IT experience I have followed these two simple rules:

NEVER commit yourself to a proprietary format.

ALWAYS use open format products (Hardware/software).

These two simple rules will save you a lot of money, with a lot less hassle.

Thus I will never buy an iPod, Sony PS nor Xbox. I need none of them for I have a PC, MP3 player and a phone. Even the big Movie and Music companies have finally admitted defeat regarding DRM after billions of wasted dollars. Will they ever learn? Look at the Blue-ray fight and stay out of it.

Microsoft, Apple and others are like politicians:

They spend billions telling you what you want and nothing for what you need.

if you are near pantip plaza go and have a look at the units in Sunjitech - food floor , back left hand corner - I saw a unit there yesterday which had HDMI output , H264 playback and ethernet - not cheap and you still had to add your own hard drive - and no bittorrent client :-(

Why don't you just post the link? Lots of people are looking for HD torrents, but they are very very rare.

Because its copyrighted movies.. Dont think mods like links to those kind of sites..

if you are near pantip plaza go and have a look at the units in Sunjitech - food floor , back left hand corner - I saw a unit there yesterday which had HDMI output , H264 playback and ethernet - not cheap and you still had to add your own hard drive - and no bittorrent client :-(

I am not currently in BKK... But will look next time..

Pretty much resigned myself to building another HTPC...