Asus Eee Pc

Tywais

Decided this may be useful information for others after a member contacted me regarding how to install XP using a USB Flash Drive since not having an external CD/DVD drive. These are various tutorials for the eee PC but can be useful for other PCs also.

Installing XP from Thumb Drive

Shrinking your XP with nLite

Installing Ubuntu

This one probably will be tricky but added it for those who are 'adventurous' :o

Install Vista from USB Flash Drive

I was able to easily create a XP bootable USB Flash drive using the step by step guide in the first listed link above. The eee booted off the flash nicely.

One could probably create a 'dual boot' system by installing another OS on the SD slotted card. XP on one and Ubuntu on the other.

//edit - after installing XP on the eee don't forget to install the eee drivers from the included CD. Can be copied to another USB flash drive for those without an external CD/DVD.

Decided this may be useful information for others after a member contacted me regarding how to install XP using a USB Flash Drive since not having an external CD/DVD drive. These are various tutorials for the eee PC but can be useful for other PCs also.

Installing XP from Thumb Drive

Shrinking your XP with nLite

Installing Ubuntu

This one probably will be tricky but added it for those who are 'adventurous' :o

Install Vista from USB Flash Drive

I was able to easily create a XP bootable USB Flash drive using the step by step guide in the first listed link above. The eee booted off the flash nicely.

One could probably create a 'dual boot' system by installing another OS on the SD slotted card. XP on one and Ubuntu on the other.

//edit - after installing XP on the eee don't forget to install the eee drivers from the included CD. Can be copied to another USB flash drive for those without an external CD/DVD.

Why you didn't try to "slipstream" the eee drivers with the bootable XP USB Flashdrive so you don't need an extra Flashdrive? Should be not any problem!

Edited by Reimar

Why you didn't try to "slipstream" the eee drivers with the bootable XP USB Flashdrive so you don't need an extra Flashdrive? Should be not any problem!

That's true, just I plan on using this flash as a general purpose installation device (it's a spare non-used Flash Drive I had lying around). Also, slipstreaming drivers in usually require the drivers to already be installed on a system and not just the setup files from the CD, at least that's what I've seen. Maybe I will try since I like to 'tinker'. :o

tywais, got xp installed through usb drive. managed to do 1.6Gigs installation. did SP2 installation and now its almost 3gigs taken :D

we really need Nlite version on usb ..... hmm

Bet you forgot to disable paging. :o Right click on My Computer and select properties. Select the tab Advanced and then Performance and the next window select Advanced again. Now under Virtual Memory click on Change then select "No Paging File" then set. Restart and it should have cleared between 512 MB to 2GB plus depending on the amount of memory in your computer.

On my first report of disk space available I forgot to disable paging so my reported size was too big. After I did, the entire system was only 600+ Megabytes. Starting to work on a new nLited USB version now.

did SP2 installation and now its almost 3gigs taken :o

One other thing, the SP2 should be slipstreamed with nLite rather then installing it later. Then when you optimize the nLite package it will use the SP2 and remove the components you don't want. Else, you will be adding components back when you install the SP2 separately.

tywais, got xp installed through usb drive. managed to do 1.6Gigs installation. did SP2 installation and now its almost 3gigs taken :D

we really need Nlite version on usb ..... hmm

Bet you forgot to disable paging. :o Right click on My Computer and select properties. Select the tab Advanced and then Performance and the next window select Advanced again. Now under Virtual Memory click on Change then select "No Paging File" then set. Restart and it should have cleared between 512 MB to 2GB plus depending on the amount of memory in your computer.

On my first report of disk space available I forgot to disable paging so my reported size was too big. After I did, the entire system was only 600+ Megabytes. Starting to work on a new nLited USB version now.

ok disabled paging and gained about 700MB. but says low on virtual memory when i start up. anyway to get rid of that???

ok finally got my webcam to work. seems like the main thing that needs to be done is to "update device driver". point to the drivers from the cd and everything works. hope the USB version for NLite works!

did SP2 installation and now its almost 3gigs taken :D

One other thing, the SP2 should be slipstreamed with nLite rather then installing it later. Then when you optimize the nLite package it will use the SP2 and remove the components you don't want. Else, you will be adding components back when you install the SP2 separately.

yeah thats what i realised when i did the Nlite thing yesterday evening. its packaged together. thanks tywais for all your help.

TB

ok disabled paging and gained about 700MB. but says low on virtual memory when i start up. anyway to get rid of that???

How much memory did your eee come with? I had them put in 1GB (690 Baht) instead of the 512 and don't have that message. However I believe you have a full XP installed and probably not trimmed down of services which will reduce the memory requirements. Will let you know the statistics when I do the new production. If you have 512MB you can set the paging to something low like 128M-256M to clear the message until the new installation.

How much memory did your eee come with? I had them put in 1GB (690 Baht) instead of the 512 and don't have that message. However I believe you have a full XP installed and probably not trimmed down of services which will reduce the memory requirements. Will let you know the statistics when I do the new production. If you have 512MB you can set the paging to something low like 128M-256M to clear the message until the new installation.

tywais yes mine is 512 ram. reckon that is more than enough for this machine. yeah have set it to 128-256M :o

tywais yes mine is 512 ram. reckon that is more than enough for this machine. yeah have set it to 128-256M :o

I just finished the new nLite version and was able to make the USB Boot Flash Drive with no problems. The key was the 'manual installation' option under Operating System, need to be sure it allows it (unchecked box). That was the problem with the 2nd tutorial on nLite XP for eee.

I just finished the new nLite version and was able to make the USB Boot Flash Drive with no problems. The key was the 'manual installation' option under Operating System, need to be sure it allows it (unchecked box). That was the problem with the 2nd tutorial on nLite XP for eee.

installation tested on the EEE PC??? tywais, what do you think about upgrading the BIOS? seems like it makes the CPU run at 900mhz rather than 630mhz.

see this Thread : Upgrade bios to v8804

also my machine seems to be 7B at the start of the serial number. seems like there is no Mini PCI-e for upgrade to storage space. the 7A ones have them. what do you have?

see this article.

TB..

hmmm, think I'm going to get me one!

With wifi, and now with the availability of cheap (sub 5000) Edge USB gprs modems, this would make a very nice remote trouble shooting machine. Tight vnc is all I need :o

Ty, get prepared to field my silly questions :D :D

hmmm, think I'm going to get me one!

With wifi, and now with the availability of cheap (sub 5000) Edge USB gprs modems, this would make a very nice remote trouble shooting machine. Tight vnc is all I need :o

Ty, get prepared to field my silly questions :D:D

Hello, Monty!

I hope I am not asking too much here but can you possibly post a slimmed down but usable version of Linux in the Download Section? One that would work with the eeePC?

It could be an ISO file that anyone could burn on a CD.

Thanks...

So does XP run pretty well when set up this way? Fast, slow, medium? Just curious.

After installing the 'tuned' version created by nLite these are my current specs.

Configuration: eee PC 4G (Webcam) with 1GB DDR Memory, 2GB SD Flash Card. I would strongly recommend to have the 512MB memory changed to 1GB for only a few hundred baht. Will prevent the page swap message that Tiger gets after disabling paging.

XP (with Service Pack 3) startup time approximately 12 seconds. Shutdown time also about 11-12 seconds.

Current list of installed programs.

ACDSee 8.0 Pro - about 2 seconds startup time

Faststone Image Viewer - about 1 second startup time

UltraVNC - for remote control of eee from my desktop computer

TweakUI

FireFox - about 2-3 seconds load time

AviCodec - movie codec checker

K-Lite Codec Pack

TrueCrypt - encryption software

CCleaner - to keep the system clean of various unnecessary files

7-Zip - zip/arc/cab/everything (smaller footprint then WinZip or WinRAR but does the same thing).

Media Player Classic

Bluetooth dongle & driver for allowing connecting to the Internet via mobile phone.

Wireless mouse & driver

Total internal SSD space used including all drivers - 868 MB giving me nearly 3GB free space

Some programs are installed on the 2GB SD Flash Drive - space used 45MB.

So as you can see, there is plenty of room for even more programs and can attach external USB drives for virtually unlimited disk space. I have a mini 120 GB USB bus powered external drive that I can stream movies off of. :o

Some other tests in the works is to set it up as a portable control system for some of my system designs here at the lab. Doesn't come with a serial port which most of my designs are controlled by, but a USB to Serial cable converter works fine.

The last item I hadn't tested was the built in WebCAM. Since XP doesn't come with webcam software went looking around on the net and found Yawcam and it works very nicely. Has it's own built in webserver and best of all, it's freeware. Supports file mode, ftp, http, streaming (both viewable through a web client) and motion detection.

With the built in speakers, microphone and webcam seems it would make a nice Skype appliance. Will try that sometime later and if any members have tried to use Skype on the eee please post your experiences here.

tywais, i managed to do up a bootable Nlite version of XP on my USB stick. got the EEE PC to boot up using it and went into TXT interface. While its preparing to install windows, an error pops up! And i cant get past it. Any ideas?

this shows up!

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGETO YOUR COMPUTER.

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOU COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALLATION, ASK YOUR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY WINDOWS UPDATES YOU MIGHT NEED,

IF PROBLEM CONTINUES, DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY NEW INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTION SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS F8 TO SELECT ADVANCE STARTUP OPTION, AND THEN SELECT SAFE MODE.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

***STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC000007A,0x00000008,0x00000000,0x00000000)

tywais, i managed to do up a bootable Nlite version of XP on my USB stick. got the EEE PC to boot up using it and went into TXT interface. While its preparing to install windows, an error pops up! And i cant get past it. Any ideas?

this shows up!

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGETO YOUR COMPUTER.

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOU COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALLATION, ASK YOUR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY WINDOWS UPDATES YOU MIGHT NEED,

IF PROBLEM CONTINUES, DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY NEW INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTION SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS F8 TO SELECT ADVANCE STARTUP OPTION, AND THEN SELECT SAFE MODE.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

***STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC000007A,0x00000008,0x00000000,0x00000000)

after reading numerous websites and forums, i think i know what the problem is. seems like i should delete the existing partitions on the EEE PC and make it back into one partition (if it wasnt one before).

Is there anyway i could get my bootable USB stick with NLITE to delete the partition? Or is there a way to get into DOS using that particular USB stick? How do i delete the current partition?? am stuck here.

TB

Is there anyway i could get my bootable USB stick with NLITE to delete the partition? Or is there a way to get into DOS using that particular USB stick? How do i delete the current partition?? am stuck here.

When you first booted off the USB XP installation flash it will come up with the standard XP install (text based) window and looks exactly as it would from a CD. At one point it will show you the options as to what drive to install XP and the option to delete the partions. The way I did it was to delete all partitions (had four due to Linux being on it). You now have one unpartioned area. Create a partition for it using the full size of the drive as the size choice. Then install normally - it will then ask to format as NTFS, etc. Use NTFS and let the install finish.

It will auto boot twice in GUI mode after the initial text mode. Be sure NOT to remove the USB drive until you have the full XP startup screen or it will corrupt the installation.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the partition issue you are talking about. I built probably 6 or 7 nLite versions (bootable) fine tuning my tests and doing full re-installs of XP and none failed to install and run right out the gate.

When you first booted off the USB XP installation flash it will come up with the standard XP install (text based) window and looks exactly as it would from a CD. At one point it will show you the options as to what drive to install XP and the option to delete the partions. The way I did it was to delete all partitions (had four due to Linux being on it). You now have one unpartioned area. Create a partition for it using the full size of the drive as the size choice. Then install normally - it will then ask to format as NTFS, etc. Use NTFS and let the install finish.

It will auto boot twice in GUI mode after the initial text mode. Be sure NOT to remove the USB drive until you have the full XP startup screen or it will corrupt the installation.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the partition issue you are talking about. I built probably 6 or 7 nLite versions (bootable) fine tuning my tests and doing full re-installs of XP and none failed to install and run right out the gate.

tywais, it doesn't even get to that part of deleting partitions. it gives me a PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error right when it says Starting Windows after copying a few files when I boot with the USB. Its like first couple of minutes after booting up. I just need to delete the partition and then do a fresh install from what i have read on the forums.

tywais, it doesn't even get to that part of deleting partitions. it gives me a PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error right when it says Starting Windows after copying a few files when I boot with the USB.

It should never even get to a message saying Starting Windows until the text based operations are completed which includes where to install windows. The initial file copying (drivers) from text mode is into memory. Are you sure you are selecting the 2nd item (text mode, not GUI mode which is the first option) when you boot the USB?

The sequence when it boots from USB.

1. You will be presented with two options to boot. 1) GUI Mode 2)Text mode select text mode.

2. 1st it will start loading all the baseline XP drivers into memory.

3. It will then look to see if XP is already installed

4. It will then ask if you want to install or repair (select install)

5. It will then show the available drives to install to and here is the option to delete/create partitions.

This is all under text mode and not GUI mode and the Starting Windows only comes up after the drive is formatted and then copying files takes place (which is after the partition/formating completes). Basically, the drive is not written to with any files until the above is done.

BTW, price in Pattaya (TukCom) for the 701, 4GB, no webcam, 512 Mb ram is 11,190 Baht.

They are selling them with XP installed, but not sure if it is a slimmed down version...

With 1 gig ram I was quoted 12,000 Baht.

The webcam version was quoted at 13,500 Baht, but not in stock...

tywais, it doesn't even get to that part of deleting partitions. it gives me a PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error right when it says Starting Windows after copying a few files when I boot with the USB.

It should never even get to a message saying Starting Windows until the text based operations are completed which includes where to install windows. The initial file copying (drivers) from text mode is into memory. Are you sure you are selecting the 2nd item (text mode, not GUI mode which is the first option) when you boot the USB?

The sequence when it boots from USB.

1. You will be presented with two options to boot. 1) GUI Mode 2)Text mode select text mode.

2. 1st it will start loading all the baseline XP drivers into memory.

3. It will then look to see if XP is already installed

4. It will then ask if you want to install or repair (select install)

5. It will then show the available drives to install to and here is the option to delete/create partitions.

This is all under text mode and not GUI mode and the Starting Windows only comes up after the drive is formatted and then copying files takes place (which is after the partition/formating completes). Basically, the drive is not written to with any files until the above is done.

tywais. just after number 2. on your list above is when the error pops up. i am sorry, it is Starting windows setup is where it gets screwed. not starting windows. i have installed Xp many many times and your sequence is totally correct. however it doesn't get to number 3. thats where i get stuck.

so the only i can figure out is to totally use some other way of deleting the partition. and then try the installation again. if the same error comes up, then its probably the NLITE version which is lacking in something or some drivers.

thanks for your help though tywais. will have to get this settled one way or another. and i am sure i'll work it out. :o

thanks for your help though tywais. will have to get this settled one way or another. and i am sure i'll work it out. :o

I would have to think it's something to do with the nLite version. Even when one puts in a new drive (desktop PC) into a computer that's not partitioned or formatted so no place for files to be copied to it still goes into the setup mode with no problem.

Looking at that error message again, it is the same one you would get when actually booting Windows up but with a failed driver. I have a feeling it is trying to restart a corrupt windows first. I know this is probably obvious, but make 100% sure you set in the BIOS that the only drive active is the USB drive and select it as first boot device. Done in BIOS under Boot, Drives (disable all but the USB drive) and boot priority make sure it shows the USB drive.

I would have to think it's something to do with the nLite version. Even when one puts in a new drive (desktop PC) into a computer that's not partitioned or formatted so no place for files to be copied to it still goes into the setup mode with no problem.

Looking at that error message again, it is the same one you would get when actually booting Windows up but with a failed driver. I have a feeling it is trying to restart a corrupt windows first. I know this is probably obvious, but make 100% sure you set in the BIOS that the only drive active is the USB drive and select it as first boot device. Done in BIOS under Boot, Drives (disable all but the USB drive) and boot priority make sure it shows the USB drive.

tywais, yeah i think its gotta be the nLite version. disabled the SSD and tried but still same problem. will try out making another ISO of nLite next week. given up with this week cause got lots of other work to do.

BUT ! ..

read about this application :D .. used my favorite bittorrent client and btjunkie and downloaded a full version. ran it and i recovered about 1.2Gigs by taking off things i didn't need. This was really an easier option. ended up losing a certain sound dll file but downloaded and easily into "system" folder. this was all that i needed and it has worked easier that making a bootable USB drive. i shall try it again though next week just to see if it was the nLite version that went wrong.

thanks for all your help though.

TB..

read about this application :o

I had forgotten about that program. Came across it some time ago but didn't have a need for it. Perhaps then you might just take your XP CD and only use nLite to slipstream the service pack in and make the iso bypassing all the other options. Then apply the litepc application to the install. Seems simpler this way. Most of the options I see in litepc are in nLite but allows you to remove after the fact then before, saving a lot of time on a 'faulty' nLite build.

So does XP run pretty well when set up this way? Fast, slow, medium? Just curious.

After installing the 'tuned' version created by nLite these are my current specs....

.......Configuration: eee PC 4G (Webcam) with 1GB DDR Memory, 2GB SD Flash Card. I would strongly ograms.

A

Serial cable converter works fine.

Wow that is amazing.

I have a 10" Averatec, it is pretty lightweight but the small print is a bit hard on the eyes.