Australian Aged Pension

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

All well and good if you are making regular trips back to Australia, but a bit hard to say "I live in Australia" when I haven't been back in 8 years.

I havnt been back for 4 years, I have been travelling the world visiting my facebook friends.

My recollection is that you have been on the QE2 doing a world cruise for 8 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I havnt been back for 4 years, I have been travelling the world visiting my facebook friends.

My recollection is that you have been on the QE2 doing a world cruise for 8 years.

After 5 years outside Australia your medicare card is no longer valid either. Doesn't really matter, I have no intentions of returning anyway. As long as C'link keeps the OAP rolling in I'm happy.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

All well and good if you are making regular trips back to Australia, but a bit hard to say "I live in Australia" when I haven't been back in 8 years.

There in is your problem perhaps 8 years???  Yes Centrelink does have the authority to look at your tax records, but it is not easy for any regular staff investigator to do so.  Lots of "red tape"within the system and a chain of command to get the information.  Often used to verify stated family income by young mums when seeking child support payments. Hmmm. and others.

As I've indicated before the only thing that you will lose with your now granted Australian Aged Pension is if your assets or income is over the limit.  Some people tell the truth about their situation but not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Overseas assets are just the same as those as in Aus.

On 04/04/2018 at 11:07 AM, giddyup said:

I think something like that would make the papers if they refused someone who was entitled.

Out of curiosity do Centrelink, when living overseas, check say once a year, for proof of life after a certain age

Edited by simple1

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

There are ways around this like stating a return date to Aus which you could change, or being on holidays and making a few trips back to Aus.  Thailand is not far from Aus...play it right look deeper be happy, don't worry.

I can find nothing on Centrelink web site that says you will lose your pension once granted except for the "assets and income test".  I do know however you will lose your pension supplement (approx$58 p/f )from the day you leave Australia and not after the 6 weeks period of grace if you do not show a return date...Much of what you is just not true.

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension.

A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

TBH, I don't really know what you mean by these paragraphs.

I didn't say anything to the contrary.

What I basically said was, that if you're honest with Centrelink, you haven't really got anything to worry about.

All good - no affront meant - and I dont know where the bold paragraphs came from - didn't type it that way.  

I was just trying to pointing out (to you and others) that although it is none of their business as you said, once you apply for the OAP they do have the right to question and to check.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Out of curiosity do Centrelink, when living overseas, check say once a year, for proof of life after a certain age

Not as far as I am aware - they would only do that as part of an investigation.

My understanding is that once an Aussie dies in Thailand, then the Foreign Affairs Dept the Thai Govt officially advises the Aust Embassy, who then advises HQ, who then advises all relevant Departments and Agencies in Aust.

I guess that means if the Thai Govt is not informed (the part that tells Aust Embassy) then the OAP pension checks would continue to be paid, until somehow CLink was informed.  This would probably continue for an indefinite period until something comes of the failure to renew/extend the Visa/Permission to stay in Thailand - maybe.

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Not as far as I am aware - they would only do that as part of an investigation.

My understanding is that once an Aussie dies in Thailand, then the Foreign Affairs Dept the Thai Govt officially advises the Aust Embassy, who then advises HQ, who then advises all relevant Departments and Agencies in Aust.

I guess that means if the Thai Govt is not informed (the part that tells Aust Embassy) then the OAP pension checks would continue to be paid, until somehow CLink was informed.  This would probably continue for an indefinite period until something comes of the failure to renew/extend the Visa/Permission to stay in Thailand - maybe.

Better not let your wives know they will still get your pension when your gone, you will be worked into the Wat and cremated before you know it. ?. Just jesting lads ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Probably comes down to red tape, normally if someone dies the local  BIB is informed of the death which I assume filters thru' the system until it reaches the appropriate embassy, but then maybe not in all cases if you happen to live way out in the boonies - just gone and not forgetten if someone has access to any account your pension and anything else was being paid into ?

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

I'm 75, they haven't checked on me yet.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 1:04 PM, scorecard said:

Thank you.

As far as I know the qualifying resident age at present to obtain an aged pension is being extended from 25 years to 35 years over a period of 20 years.  You only need to be about 66 y/o if applying now. In about 2035 you will need to be 70 y/o.

Edited by David Walden

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

That the money stops when you die makes a big difference when you have a heart attack - she will call an ambulance immediately instead of going outside for a smoke or two before checking how you are going.

My thinking exactly.

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

As far as I know the qualifying resident age at present to obtain an aged pension is being extended from 25 years to 35 years over a period of 20 years.  You only need to be about 66 y/o if applying now. In about 2035 you will need to be 70 y/o.

You are confusing 2 separate issues. Pension eligibility age is being gradually increased to 70 from the current 65.5 years.

35 years is the AWLR (Australian Working life residence) figure. After 6 months o/s the pension you will be paid will be a factored by your AWLR/35. That has been current for some time.

1 hour ago, nev said:

Better not let your wives know they will still get your pension when your gone, you will be worked into the Wat and cremated before you know it. ?. Just jesting lads ?

I don't know if it's standard procedure across all of Thailand, however i'm aware that on the death of an american in Pattaya several years ago, the guy lived alone, neighbors called the police, a specific police guy arrived.

By this stage a friend had arrived, the police guy asked if he knew where the passport was and mentioned that it's standard procedure the police must find the passport and quickly call the embassy involved to report the death then the passport must be sent to the embassy.

I'm guessing it would be standard automatic procedure for the embassy to issue a death notice to a list of government agencies, including centrelink. 

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, David Walden said:

If you die when on a married pension your payments will continue for 13 weeks to assist your partner with funeral expenses.

Wrong. The estate of pensioners who die are given a $2500 lump sum to cover funeral expenses.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

You are confusing 2 separate issues. Pension eligibility age is being gradually increased to 70 from the current 65.5 years.

35 years is the AWLR (Australian Working life residence) figure. After 6 months o/s the pension you will be paid will be a factored by your AWLR/35. That has been current for some time.

Correct with the AWRL but the increase to 70 is only proposed, current legislation is 67 in 2023

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I'm 75, they haven't checked on me yet.

If you die your bank accounts will be frozen, they will know if your dead you won't.

3 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension.

A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

You appears to have me there, but I think the key to this discussion is if you are going to live over seas permanently.  Thing change if you depart Australia permanently. Long holidays well that's different.  My holidays to Thailand are quite long I don't have any problems.

Edited by David Walden

2 minutes ago, David Walden said:

If you die your bank accounts will be frozen, they will know if your dead you won't.

If you die and your other half stuffs you in a freezer and doesn't tell anybody, you will be frozen. There will be no effect on your bank a/c until your death is reported.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, David Walden said:

If you die when on a married pension your payments will continue for 13 weeks to assist your partner with funeral expenses.

My apologies, you post is in essence correct, except that 14 weeks of difference between married and single pensions plus difference in pension bonus will be paid as a lump sum. Based on a conversation with recent widow, this will amount to ~$2500.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, David Walden said:

You appears to have me there, but I think the key to this discussion is if you are going to live over seas permanently.  Thing change if you depart Australia permanently. Long holidays well that's different.  My holidays to Thailand are quite long I don't have any problems.

What triggers the frozen bank account/s if nobody informs the bank, mental telepathy? 

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

David - you need to do more research.  The age qualification is 67 not 70.

The current Coalition government has a policy commitment to increase the Age Pension age to 70 years and put it in the 2014/2015 Budget, but could not get it through the previous parliament, and has not attempted to push it through this parliament. The policy is still current for the Liberals, and if they win the next election with a clear majority, expect the Age Pension age to be increased to 70.

The push beyond 67 years for the Age Pension age has received heavy opposition and the Liberal government has not yet been successful in extending the Age Pension age beyond 67 years.  Labor and the Greens and most Independents have stated they will oppose it now and in the future, and Labor has said it will not increase the age qualification to 70 if they win the next election. 

This issue alone could result in Labor being elected.  If the Libs dont change this one policy (and Labor stays the same) I will vote Labor for the first time in a very long time - and so will some Lib supporters I know.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/age-rules-age-pension

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Yes you are right and that is the key - being permanently overseas.  I agree - if you can keep residency in Australia and take holidays to Thailand, then you never have to go through the 24 months 'probation' period.

That is what I am doing - our plan to is spend 3-6 months each year in Aust and Thailand - one year here the next year there.  I am lucky to be able to do that, but many blokes are not and so they have to return and go through the probation before then returning to Thailand permanently with the OAP.

IMO anyone that has the full qualification period (lived for over 35 years in Aust after turning 16) should be able to then choose to live anywhere in the world (after 51) and claim the OAP without having to return to Aust and serving a probation period.  That someone who has only been living in Aust for a total 10 years (the min.) can get the OAP and immediately go and live overseas on a partial-OAP (10/35) really annoys me. 

Edited by ELVIS123456

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

You may have me there.  I know if someone is getting a carer allowance for the person that dies who was on OAP, that they get continued payments (14 weeks?).  I am not aware of this for OAP, but you could be right - makes sense.  I do know that if both were getting the OAP when one dies that a bereavement payment is provided, but I dont know how much that is - maybe equivalent to 13/14 weeks.  Something to put on my research list. 

4 hours ago, halloween said:

Wrong. The estate of pensioners who die are given a $2500 lump sum to cover funeral expenses.

Perhaps they have changed this benefit recently. the last time I enquired it was 13 weeks of continued pension which amounts to about $4500 not quite sure how much it will be when I'm dead.  I'll know for sure then, I'll get in touch from heaven...sorry.,,,should be 14 weeks.

• sceadugenga
  • Global Moderators
  • 11,787 posts
Edited by David Walden
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

David - you need to do more research.  The age qualification is 67 not 70.

The current Coalition government has a policy commitment to increase the Age Pension age to 70 years and put it in the 2014/2015 Budget, but could not get it through the previous parliament, and has not attempted to push it through this parliament. The policy is still current for the Liberals, and if they win the next election with a clear majority, expect the Age Pension age to be increased to 70.

The push beyond 67 years for the Age Pension age has received heavy opposition and the Liberal government has not yet been successful in extending the Age Pension age beyond 67 years.  Labor and the Greens and most Independents have stated they will oppose it now and in the future, and Labor has said it will not increase the age qualification to 70 if they win the next election. 

This issue alone could result in Labor being elected.  If the Libs dont change this one policy (and Labor stays the same) I will vote Labor for the first time in a very long time - and so will some Lib supporters I know.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/age-rules-age-pension

Details aside...when the female entitlement to the aged pension was raised from 60 y/o to 65 y/o that was introduced over a period of 20 years.  Each 4 years it was increases by 1 year  so that after 20 years you had to be 65 y/o (yes smaller increments my wife got it a 63.5 y/o).  As far as I know the qualifying requirements for the aged pension are being introduced similarly.  That is 65 y/o in 2015   70 y/o at  2035 (approx) and you will have to have had 35 years residency in Australia.  If you remove the politics from this issue I believe both the 2 major parties are committed to this change.  There are just too many healthy aged pensioners.  Similar in most Western Countries.

When the aged pension was introduced in about 1913 the average male life expectant was about 59 y/o and females about 62 y/o.  We are living about 25 years longer now then what it was 100 years or so ago.

Edited by David Walden

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Details aside...when the female entitlement to the aged pension was raised from 60 y/o to 65 y/o that was introduced over a period of 20 years.  Each 4 years it was increases by 1 year  so that after 20 years you had to be 65 y/o (yes smaller increments my wife got it a 63.5 y/o).  As far as I know the qualifying requirements for the aged pension are being introduced similarly.  That is 65 y/o in 2015   70 y/o at  2035 (approx). 

When the aged pension was introduced in about 1913 the average male life expectant was about 59 y/o and females about 62 y/o.  We are living about 25 years longer now then what it was 100 years or so ago.

Details are important, and what you know on this issue is wrong - the age qualification for people born after 1 January 1957 is 67.  

If your birthdate is you’ll be old enough at
1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953 65 years and 6 months
1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955 66 years
1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956 66 years and 6 months
From 1 January 1957 67 years

It is important to be correct because people read these discussions and some make decisions based on what they read.  The age requirement for the OAP is not 70 - it is as above.

The Libs want to increase it, but as of yet they have not been successful. Labor has stated it opposes any age increase and will not change it in the future (if in Govt).

Sticking with the politics of OAP - I cannot fathom how Turnbull and his cohorts in Libs/Nats dont understand that their 'base' is the middle-old age group. Young people predominately vote Labor and older people predominately vote Libs/Nats. Some say people get wiser as they age - some say they get early onset dementia :smile:

Either way, Turnbull has introduced many changes to Super and OAP, that have been detrimental to those on or at that age group. Plus they have proposed a lot more negative changes.  Turnbull is the dumbest smart politician I have ever known - he needs to look at what Howard did to look after his 'base'.  Guaranteed that Labor will introduce changes that help the 'poor' - because the 'poor' vote for them. Libs/Nats need to smarten up or they are out - and Super and OAP is one issue they need to re-address. 

• Like 1