Australian Aged Pension

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, of course the only way to know ultimately is to try it, and I have contacted 3 hotels in the outer suburbs but pleasant areas of Sydney and Melbourne, all were positive about the concept but of course I need to do more checking about what city would be least cost. But I'm guessing I could perhaps qualify for rent assistance.

I was looking just recently at real estate prices - for when I need to serve my two years.  

Prices are way down in the mining-dependant cities, still struggling after the boom.  If prices are down rents / board etc. would be down too you'd think.  Townsville for example is a big city, big military base and a university, good climate, good fishing, and prices are low.  

And what about 'Assisted living' rather than a hotel?  Retirement homes sort of thing, are there those that you can come and go a month or two at a time? 

Pity you cannot bring a carer with you from your Thai family, you could just rent somewhere cheap then.   

Edited by moojar
speeling

3 minutes ago, moojar said:

I was looking just recently at real estate prices - for when I need to serve my two years.  

Prices are way down in the mining-dependant cities, still struggling after the boom.  If prices are down rents / board etc. would be down too you'd think.  Townsville for example is a big city, big military base and a university, good climate, good fishing, and prices are low.  

And what about 'Assisted living' rather than a hotel?  Retirement homes sort of thing, are there those that you can come and go a month or two at a time? 

Pity you cannot bring a carer with you from your Thai family, you could just rent somewhere cheap then.   

I doubt if you will find a retirement home that allows you to pay just for the time you stay there, a boarding house or similar would be preferable. Also, I doubt if you can spend one month out of three in Thailand and still satisfy the criteria. People have been trying to find loopholes for years, there isn't any.

15 minutes ago, moojar said:

Thanks.

Re family member carer, already got some advice on getting a visa to enter Australia, pretty much impossible.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

16 + 35 = 51.

My understanding is for much old folks an older equation is still valid (I was born 1945, now 74).

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, 

No!  You are not entitled to any Australian Aged Pension unless you return to Australia as a genuine returning permanent resident!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

Thanks.

As I said before, if you spend the 2 years in OZ, your pension will be portable. But if you then leave and don't return for 6 months, your pension will reduce. If you only have 15 years in OZ, you will only get 15/35, so a bit over a third. There is no grandfathering of the rule. It used to be 25 years, but a few years ago they increased it to 35 years. I am not sure if you get credit as a Kiwi and they add the years you spent in NZ. You may. You will need to ask. 

I don't think you can look at too many trips back to Thailand. Maybe 1 or 2 a year, and as mentioned, it may add to the 2 years. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules. I have only found cases at the appeals tribunal where the person was really not returning and still wanted portability. They lost. I have heard that if you spend more than 183 days in OZ, that is enough, but there are no test cases for that. There are a few guys who post on here that are doing the 2 years. 1 is @Elvis??. You will need to scan the thread. I have a mate who is back there now. He has just completed a little over 1 year. He is not leaving until he has completed the 2 years.

My mate that returned rented a room in a share house. This is a cheaper option and he got rent assistance for that. I don't think you need to worry too much about CL questions. Any question you get, you are returning to live. After 2 years, you change your mind and leave. Right now, it is that simple. Obviously that could change at any time, so if you are going to do it, sooner the better.

Edited by rhodie
Calc
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Just a correction. Not sure why I thought you were from NZ. So you were in OZ from the age of 16 to 50. So 34/35 at worst. Almost the full pension so no need to return every 6 months after the 2 years for portability.

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

Just a correction. Not sure why I thought you were from NZ. So you were in OZ from the age of 16 to 50. So 34/35 at worst. Almost the full pension so no need to return every 6 months after the 2 years for portability.

Thanks for your message, yes, about 97%, not too bad. 

4 hours ago, rhodie said:

Worth mentioning that the aged pension is means tested, so if you have any other form of income like private super, bank interest,  allocated pensions etc, your pension can be reduced accordingly. I'm entitled to a full pension but only get around half because of other income.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, scorecard said:

Thanks.

1. They (centrelink) will calculate your entitlement and the MONTHS spent in OZ. Even though I KNOW this question is asked on the application. (Or was for me)
  2. I got a letter saying I  had exceeded 420 months and was eligible for an unrestricted pension. (Not the exact words, as I know the words change frequently).
  3. Under some circumstances you CAN get two pensions - This site explains it better than me Click Here - Reason being you ARE allowed to earn money on the pension and the second pension is regarded as income. This area will need YOU to do MUCH more research
  4. Working in Thailand - if you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you "probably" have done your dash, however, GET advice on this. You actually "could" qualify - there are ways.
  5. Research, research, research - there is a forum on the link I inserted in this post - it is a useful resource for some expats.

Finally - good luck cobber

2 hours ago, MalandLee said:
  1. They (centrelink) will calculate your entitlement and the MONTHS spent in OZ. Even though I KNOW this question is asked on the application. (Or was for me)
  2. I got a letter saying I  had exceeded 420 months and was eligible for an unrestricted pension. (Not the exact words, as I know the words change frequently).
  3. Under some circumstances you CAN get two pensions - This site explains it better than me Click Here - Reason being you ARE allowed to earn money on the pension and the second pension is regarded as income. This area will need YOU to do MUCH more research
  4. Working in Thailand - if you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you "probably" have done your dash, however, GET advice on this. You actually "could" qualify - there are ways.
  5. Research, research, research - there is a forum on the link I inserted in this post - it is a useful resource for some expats.

Finally - good luck cobber

Thanks, I'm learning all the time, but I can't find the link, can you please re-send, appreciated.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Salerno said:

Yes, mentioned that previously in a round about way. Reality is, we have no privacy nowadays.

C'link always had the ability to check movements, but it required manual processing.  These days it's automated.  They've just improved the timeliness and probably eliminated some of the human error factor.  No real change in your privacy.

I'm going to return to do the 2 years to re-establish residency, and hopefully soon, I've been searching everything I can find but I'm somewhat lost as to a step by step process. Some specific points I can't find answers to:

- Should I / do I have to advise Centrelink in advance of my intention to return and re-establish residency? If yes should I contact Centrelink in Hobart? Or...

- What do I need to prepare to take with me to Australia?

- Once in Australia where do I lodge my application?

- Once in Australia can I lodge my application by e-mail?

- Is there a different application form for citizens who have gone back recently to re-establish residency?

- Is there an interview which I must attend as part of the process? Any tips? Any bewares?

- I've read that approval (or denial) is mostly within a couple of weeks, on the other hand I just read a Centrelink website which says around six months. Can some members who have been through the process please share their experiences on this point.

- I can't find any specifics about rent etc., assistance whilst doing the 2 years. Can some members who have been through this please share their experiences on this point. Are there other allowances? 

- Is there a medical examination as part of the processing of my application. 

Any additional advise, tips whatever much appreciated. Thanks.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm going to return to do the 2 years to re-establish residency, and hopefully soon, I've been searching everything I can find but I'm somewhat lost as to a step by step process. Some specific points I can't find answers to:

- Should I / do I have to advise Centrelink in advance of my intention to return and re-establish residency? If yes should I contact Centrelink in Hobart? Or... NO

- What do I need to prepare to take with me to Australia? (Too many variables here, however, if your birth certificate, etc, etc.. is in Thailand take it with you.)

- Once in Australia where do I lodge my application? (ANY centrelink office can help you)

- Once in Australia can I lodge my application by e-mail? (Best answer is NO, but entirely possible soon BUT you can do online - see here:- https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/age-pension/pension-eligibility/how-to-apply-for-an-age-pension )

- Is there a different application form for citizens who have gone back recently to re-establish residency? NO

- Is there an interview which I must attend as part of the process? Any tips? Any bewares? (YES - you will be called - just tell the truth).

- I've read that approval (or denial) is mostly within a couple of weeks, on the other hand I just read a Centrelink website which says around six months. Can some members who have been through the process please share their experiences on this point. (I Will leave this to the Forum - It took me 28 Days)

- I can't find any specifics about rent etc., assistance whilst doing the 2 years. Can some members who have been through this please share their experiences on this point. Are there other allowances? Search here: (https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au) - HERE https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/age-pension/pension-payment-rates/rent-assistance-20-march-2019

- Is there a medical examination as part of the processing of my application. NO

Any additional advise, tips whatever much appreciated. Thanks. (You can apply 13 weeks prior to pension age)

Hi Mate,

I can answer most of your questions, however, there is no SINGLE answer to ANY question except perhaps the last one - NO medical required whatsoever.

See my answers in the quote above - BE PREPARED for other members to have had different experiences.

Edited by BB1958
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

Hi Mate,

I can answer most of your questions, however, there is no SINGLE answer to ANY question except perhaps the last one - NO medical required whatsoever.

See my answers in the quote above - BE PREPARED for other members to have had different experiences.

As an addendum:

Rent in OZ (Entirely depends where your "ties" are) - For me PERTH WA.

Someone I know does Homestay $125.00 per week, ALL UP - private room, Air conditioned, INCLUDES 3 meals a day cooked for you, ALL utilities, NBN internet - unlimited. They ONLY do travellers, max stay 28 DAYS.  

It is just an example - if you look hard enough you will find them too - It will consume half your Centrelink "NEWSTART" allowance. However, if you do not have other bills (Or smoke/drink), you can live quite comfortably on $130 per week "Pocket money. 

AS you are over 60 (Born 1945?) (63 for some younger than you) you can apply for a seniors card NOW :-  

https://www.seniorscard.wa.gov.au - Plenty of extras here. Free transport, Free drivers Lic, Bulk Billed Medicare, Free Ambulance cover.. etc., etc.,

Seniors Card (over60’s) also works great in Sydney. Travel anywhere, anytime between Newcastle (north), Goulburn (south) & the Blue Mountains (west) for $2.50 a day. Includes Syd Harbour ferries and Metro mono rails. Doesn’t include Syd Airports train stations but does include Syd Airports buses.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Seniors Card (over60’s) also works great in Sydney. Travel anywhere, anytime between Newcastle (north), Goulburn (south) & the Blue Mountains (west) for $2.50 a day. Includes Syd Harbour ferries and Metro mono rails. Doesn’t include Syd Airports train stations but does include Syd Airports buses.

I got my seniors card last time I was back, It's excellent and saves me heaps of I go back and do a work stint.

I have 6 more years before the pension I have been keeping a home address (my daughter's), I Will go back one year before and work the last year then when I apply I will have a full years history of work plus a fixed address for the past years.

They might make me stay one more year for portability but who know I might be ok?.

I got my seniors card last time I was back, It's excellent and saves me heaps of I go back and do a work stint.

I have 6 more years before the pension I have been keeping a home address (my daughter's), I Will go back one year before and work the last year then when I apply I will have a full years history of work plus a fixed address for the past years.

They might make me stay one more year for portability but who know I might be ok?.

Even if over 60 and “retired” there’s still restrictions on the maximum amount of hours of paid work that you’re allowed to do to qualify for/keep the Seniors Card. It (the max. allowable hours) varies from State to State.

36 minutes ago, nev said:

For portability your  2 years starts from the date of your succesfull pension application

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

For portability your  2 years starts from the date of your succesfull pension application

As I understand it, the two years "probation" is only for those that have obviously come back from overseas to claim the pension. It is portable from day 1 for those that "live" in Australia therefore, possibility nev may well be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for all the valuable information. A couple more questions please:

1. When portability is achieved (after the 2 year re-establish residency item), does the pensioner receive only the 'common rate' or is 'Pension supplement' also received?

2. The application form - assets and income test -  for cash in banks what proof is needed? on this point is there any different requirement in regard to cash in bank in Thailand or in Australia?

And what about when the cash in the bank (in Thailand) is in a joint name (example myself and my adult Thai son)? 

3.  Proof of identity - Is a copy of my current Australian passport sufficient.  And I also a recent endorsement on a copy of my passport, endorsed by an Australian guy living in Thailand  plus a copy of his passport, would this help? The Australian guy is older but still works (with a Thai Work Permit and his occupation in included in the professions that can make such endorsements.

I do have a copy of my certificate of birth (74 years ago, yes they did record births back in ancient history), but the birth certificate is not signed by an issuing authority or similar.

4. Proof of the date that I moved to Thailand. Can this be an approximate date or do I need to find old passports to show a departure (from Australia) stamp? 

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard