Koh Sumet

thaitot

Can someone give me a little advice on Koh Sumet.

I visited Rayong a few months back and should have gone to Koh Sumet.

First of all getting there. I will take a bus to Morchit. Then can bus frome there If that is the best way?

I am a budget traveler with girlfriend what are some sugestions ? Do I need hotel reservations in advance any sugestions for hotels? Is there motorbike rentals? Getting there from the bus station.

Usually for me cutting the first path is the hardest maybe you have already done this and can save me some time money and frusteration.

Thanks

Can someone give me a little advice on Koh Sumet.

I visited Rayong a few months back and should have gone to Koh Sumet.

First of all getting there. I will take a bus to Morchit. Then can bus frome there If that is the best way?

I am a budget traveler with girlfriend what are some sugestions ? Do I need hotel reservations in advance any sugestions for hotels? Is there motorbike rentals? Getting there from the bus station.

Usually for me cutting the first path is the hardest maybe you have already done this and can save me some time money and frusteration.

Thanks

Koh Samet is well worth a visit indeed!

Not sure whether there is a bus from Morchit, but from Ekkamai there cetainly is service to Baan Phe, which is the fishing village where the ferries leave.

The ferries are some 20 or 40 Baht, not sure, don't let them talk you into a speed boat if you are on a budget.

Arriving on the island, do NOT take one of those pick-ups, instead walk the few 100 meters down the road. When you see a temple on the left, walk through the temple grounds thus avoiding the park rangers who would ask you 200 Baht Farang admission fee for the National Park.

And there you are....at the beach!

Accomodation: Reckon around 1000 Baht per night for something half-decent such as Jeab's bungalows a bit further down the beach (it is located on the second beach).

Most bungalows have no advance booking, you have to walk from bungalow to bungalow and ask whether they have rooms and check the rates/rooms. Beware, on long weekends you can end up without room if you arrive too late! It happened to me before and I ended up at Ao Wong Duang shelling out 2,500 for a 1,000 Baht bungalow!

Koh samet is very small, U really don't need a motorcycle to get around like Koh chaang. you can find a place to stay easy when you arrive as long as its not a holiday..

Ask at the bus station if they go there , I go from Pattaya or from the Cham Yeam Cambodia border but its closer to the Pattaya side. If you want more to do and see besides sitting on the beach I sugest koh Chaang..

I went to koh samet for new year, got the ferry from rayong - 50 bt - took 30 mins. Like someone said previously, dont get the pick up taxi at koh samet, its a bit of a rip - off, just walk. no Hotels, its all small bungalows, and most of all, lots & lots of camping. We took our own tent, but you can rent one, a 2 man tent with cushions & mattress for 390 bt per night. Most people were camping - and you can even pitch your tent on the beach, its up to you. The beach there is one of the most beautiful beaches i have ever seen, the sand is so white. good luck and hope you enjoy yourself.

• 9 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread I'll just join this one, probably easier for everyone.

I am also looking for budget accommodation but will be travelling with people on a higher budget who will be expecting me to travel with them by speedboat from Baan Phe (I think it's called).

Last time we went to Aao Pudsa which wasn't bad at all. I found a bungalow by the sea for about 500 B per night and everyone else was staying at some 1000 B up place nearby. There was a lot of farang partying going on which is not what I am looking for.

Would you recommend another side of the island for better convenience and everyelse?