Residence Certificate

moo9

Went to Immigration Jomtien Soi 5 this morning and picked up my certificate of residence, as I moved and need it to renew my driving license.

No problem, had to pay 120 Bht (no receipt). Later at the office I asked some Thai colleagues and they mentioned, that it should have been for free (..which I doubt a bit).

What did you pay? In another thread someone mentioned 200 Bht!?

Well, most probably the fee depends on the fill level of the petty cash box :o

200 baht every time I've been to th new immigration place in Jomtien.

Used to be 500 baht in the old one in Pattaya.

So only 120 baht now eh? Deflation hits tea money?

But I do believe it's supposed to be a free service.

No idea, my staff went yesterday, normally they can bring back the certificate without me being present, but this time they asked that I come in person the next day. Well, some discount for my physical presence... :o

Edited by moo9

That must be a tidy little earner with the amount of farang workers, resident tourists, sexpats & coffin dodgers setting up shop around Pattaya. Probably like that 'Tax Clearance' scam that they ran (still do?) where you paid 1000 baht for a piece of paper that was supposed to be free. I recall that some shops still issued them even after their requirement was waived and the system abolished (or was it?).

Edited by NanLaew

Went to Immigration Jomtien Soi 5 this morning and picked up my certificate of residence, as I moved and need it to renew my driving license.

No problem, had to pay 120 Bht (no receipt). Later at the office I asked some Thai colleagues and they mentioned, that it should have been for free (..which I doubt a bit).

What did you pay? In another thread someone mentioned 200 Bht!?

Well, most probably the fee depends on the fill level of the petty cash box :o

I got a couple 3 months ago and they were free.

Last time, in Jomtien, I asked for a receipt for the 200 baht and was refused; lady breezily said something like, "this is just a service," as if service fee payments don't get receipts, even though payment for other services is in fact verified by receipt.

Anyway I will always ask for a receipt to remind them of the corruption, and suggest everyone do the same.

I will also bring a printout of the Thai website where it's said that the certificate is free and see what they say about that.

You hate to refuse to pay, though, because of unknown consequences . . . .