Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who is "Big John" ? Did'nt he mind the guy sat there all day with just some water?

I think he understood the backpackers sad plight of being on a budget and having four days stubble and wearing baggy patterned trousers with flip flops.

Big John is an understanding guy who makes nice pies.

I see Pat likes to immerse himself in the culture of Thailands "pies" found any chip shops yet?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is "Big John" ? Did'nt he mind the guy sat there all day with just some water?

I think he understood the backpackers sad plight of being on a budget and having four days stubble and wearing baggy patterned trousers with flip flops.

I see Pat likes to immerse himself in the culture of Thailands "pies" found any chip shops yet?

:o:D

Hey, Mono

As stated earlier, I work in the travel industry bringing tourists into this amazing country. It's not the backpackers that you're angry with. It's stingy people in general. I hate them, too.

As I earlier said, my guests do not:

bargain for fixed priced items

argue over the price of a chang (I don't drink the poison myself)

have dreads

wear horrid, torn clothes etc. etc.

Get off the backpackers backs. They aren't doing you any harm. If they stand in your way, politely ask them to move! Sure, if they complain about the price of a beer, send them on their way (I would, too).

Just don't judge everyone by the kind of bag they carry.

I always hated the variety of backpacker who spent a 3 months in Thailand, tried to convince me that they 'were at one with the Thai people' and tried telling me that they now spoke Thai fluently....

I always hated the variety of expat who spent 3 years in Thailand, tried to convince me that they 'were at one with the Thai people' and tried telling me that they now spoke Thai fluently....

I saw a stroppy backpacker in Big Johns complain that the beer was 5 Baht more pricey than the supermarket.

"Go down the supermarket then" was John's reply.

I saw a cocky expat trying to pay a non working girl to sleep with him.

"<deleted> off" was the girl's reply.

Expats hardly that superior are they.

don't know much about trying to pay for sex, though I do get off on looking down on <deleted> from time to time....

Given that I grew up speaking Thai.....I know how to spot a <deleted> crapping on about their oneness with Thailand.

I STAYED at Big John's back in March this year. Yep, he'd have been understanding about that sort of thing, though if it had been busy the bloke would probably have been bumped off the table to make room for paying customers. Then again: maybe not. One of the easiest types of bloke I've met.

when you hear them spouting stuff that YOU KNOW they read straight from the Lonely Planet, like "I bet the floating market is soooo coool"

I think when you have one thousandth of the knowledge of Joe Cummings,author of Thailand Lonely Planet, you have the right to sneer.Actually Joe says the Wat Sai market is a touristy waste of time.

And by the way all you deadbeats, do you really think that young albeit naive backpackers are a more unedifying crowd than the half educated chang swigging middleaged losers that seem to be over-represented on this forum?

when you hear them spouting stuff that YOU KNOW they read straight from the Lonely Planet, like "I bet the floating market is soooo coool"

I think when you have one thousandth of the knowledge of Joe Cummings,author of Thailand Lonely Planet, you have the right to sneer.Actually Joe says the Wat Sai market is a touristy waste of time.

And by the way all you deadbeats, do you really think that young albeit naive backpackers are a more unedifying crowd than the half educated chang swigging middleaged losers that seem to be over-represented on this forum?

Oops. I think we've upset Boris. (obviously a backpacker) :o

Just where do you fit in Boris ?

Oops. I think we've upset Boris. (obviously a fudgepacker) :D

Dave that was a bit over the top , even for a tall geezer... :o

Mr Cummings is no god, Boris...there are a lot of mistakes in the Thailand edition of the Lonely Planet. I've used it a lot over the years.

You strike me as a rather morose character.

Just where do you fit in Boris ?

I guess I'm more of a middle aged loser than a backpacker, Dr P.Too old to be the latter without looking ridiculous.But to be serious I dislike the moronic herd element that affects some minority elements(and it does appear to be a semi educated bunch) of this forum.Obviously I have touched a raw nerve given the abuse from some of these people that followed my observation.No Joe Cummings is not infallible but he knows a great deal more about Thailand than most of us.I appreciate I occasionally go over the top to make a point but as far as the discussion of backpackers was concerned there was a depressing lack of generosity of spirit which I think justified my description

the biggest vex I have with backpackers is that they judge all Thai society by the tourist touts they have to deal with during their trip, which usually are the less-than-wholesome type.

That's a crying shame that is but what else would we expect them to do? Start venturing up Rhamkamhaeng Road?

U mean R A M K H A M H A E N G renowed for its largest stockpile of sexy f.ck.ble unigals in town ?

Wiseman is a troll who appears on various forums.

DrPP banned him only last week. A rather sad individual who even has difficulties interacting with his fellow man in cyberspace let alone in real life.

Surely it's not...IAMAIC?? :o