Free Classical Music Concert Sat 23rd Feb

Thailand

I don't like to be negative about an event that many people seem to be making quite an effort to put on, that is, after all, free and that may be, for all one knows, wonderful.

But . . .

I searched the website for information about the concert tonight and could find no indication of the programme. Nothing at all about what pieces will be performed. A contact phone number was provided for people with questions about the concert, so I called it. The woman who answered was very pleasant, but it took me four tries to get her to understand my question, and stop simply repeating the information about place and performers that was already on the website. When she did understand the purpose of the call, she told me she had no idea what the programme is, and that she would have someone more knowledgeable call me back. A few minutes later I received a call from a gentleman who was very pleasant also and a native English speaker as well, but when I asked my question about the programme, he too told me he had no idea at all, but he did think all the pieces would be "classical music".

I have visions of someone offering me a book -- for free even -- and urging me to read it because it is by a great author, but then not being able to tell me the name of the book, the name of the person who actually wrote it or what it is about (adding only that 'I do think it's in English').

If anyone does know the programme for tonight's concert, please share.

I don't like to be negative about an event that many people seem to be making quite an effort to put on, that is, after all, free and that may be, for all one knows, wonderful.

But . . .

I searched the website for information about the concert tonight and could find no indication of the programme. Nothing at all about what pieces will be performed. A contact phone number was provided for people with questions about the concert, so I called it. The woman who answered was very pleasant, but it took me four tries to get her to understand my question, and stop simply repeating the information about place and performers that was already on the website. When she did understand the purpose of the call, she told me she had no idea what the programme is, and that she would have someone more knowledgeable call me back. A few minutes later I received a call from a gentleman who was very pleasant also and a native English speaker as well, but when I asked my question about the programme, he too told me he had no idea at all, but he did think all the pieces would be "classical music".

I have visions of someone offering me a book -- for free even -- and urging me to read it because it is by a great author, but then not being able to tell me the name of the book, the name of the person who actually wrote it or what it is about (adding only that 'I do think it's in English').

If anyone does know the programme for tonight's concert, please share.

You spoke to me, and a Thai lady who is simply acting as liason mainly to advise people of time and location.

She asked me to call you as she is in school taking an examination and did not really understand your question.

I am simply a friend who lives at the location and have attended the superb concerts for the last two years, despite knowing little , or even prior to, having had little appreciation for classical music- these wonderful artistes have changed my outlook.

And no I don't know the programme, go along and see, as you said it's free, and it's not as if you have a huge amount of choice of similar events in this part of the world.

The choice is yours.

You spoke to me, and a Thai lady who is simply acting as liason mainly to advise people of time and location.

She asked me to call you as she is in school taking an examination and did not really understand your question.

I am simply a friend who lives at the location and have attended the superb concerts for the last two years, despite knowing little , or even prior to, having had little appreciation for classical music- these wonderful artistes have changed my outlook.

And no I don't know the programme, go along and see, as you said it's free, and it's not as if you have a huge amount of choice of similar events in this part of the world.

The choice is yours.

I am uncertain why you bothered to make your post. You did not answer the one question I asked, and it is not as if I was complaining about Khun Nok or you personally.

However, since you did offer your thoughts, I will answer you.

My choice is not to go.

I do not waste my time attending events -- musical or otherwise, free or otherwise, whether I have a huge choice of similar events or otherwise -- on the mere chance that they may be of interest to me, when I do not have enough information to make an informed choice. I have plenty of things to do with my time. People who who have a deeper interest, or at least a broader experience, of classical music than you do, of whom I am one, usually have likes and preferences within that genre. They do not like everything, and most or at least many of them will not simply go to any concert that is put on. Certainly I won't.

If you are in a position to pass on observations to those who are organizing this event, I would urge you to advise them on my behalf that, if they put on any such events in the future, they consider making available to the public programmes of the music to be performed.

My experience with classical music is that I once married into it. I proposed marriage, (nearly in flagrante delicto, in an open convertible!) to a classical pianist who could also sing arias as a coloratura soprano, after we had been to an Isaac Stern concert.

I have nothing better to do tonight (bars are closed anyway, nah?) and would like to meet some more Koreans.

The choice is yours.

I am uncertain why you bothered to make your post. You did not answer the one question I asked, and it is not as if I was complaining about Khun Nok or you personally.

However, since you did offer your thoughts, I will answer you.

My choice is not to go.

I do not waste my time attending events -- musical or otherwise, free or otherwise, whether I have a huge choice of similar events or otherwise -- on the mere chance that they may be of interest to me, when I do not have enough information to make an informed choice. I have plenty of things to do with my time. People who who have a deeper interest, or at least a broader experience, of classical music than you do, of whom I am one, usually have likes and preferences within that genre. They do not like everything, and most or at least many of them will not simply go to any concert that is put on. Certainly I won't.

If you are in a position to pass on observations to those who are organizing this event, I would urge you to advise them on my behalf that, if they put on any such events in the future, they consider making available to the public programmes of the music to be performed.

You could of course go and make your observations personally, very little point in my doing so with my limited knowledge of things classically musical.

My experience with classical music is that I once married into it. I proposed marriage, (nearly in flagrante delicto, in an open convertible!) to a classical pianist who could also sing arias as a coloratura soprano, after we had been to an Isaac Stern concert.

I have nothing better to do tonight (bars are closed anyway, nah?) and would like to meet some more Koreans.

See you there :o

You could of course go and make your observations personally, very little point in my doing so with my limited knowledge of things classically musical.

Since I will not be there myself, as you know, I will not be able to make my observations personally. I do now understand, however, that I was wrong in thinking you might be an appropriate person to ask to pass on such advice.

Mai bpen rai, Rasseru. Never frickin' mind. I went there, all dressed up (even shined my boots!) and could not find the ฟหกานดไรนยำคพะจ place. They had these great Ban Wantan Club signs posted along the road, up to a point. Then nothing, nada, soon, zilch, zero. I rode my bike maybe 18 km more, all along the wrong klong to King Kong or Hong Kong, or Hang Dong, dang it. Finally I stopped and asked a nice young man, a few meters from the last sign in English. He seemed to know exactly where it was, and pointed down the road and waved his left hand to the left. You know, gbachamaca low tone wopeirw high tone wachamacha bachaawaawadananabapaaasiie falling tone. Well, I went that way, and turned left, and left again, and 5 km later, came ten km home and looked at the map of Ban Wantan Club. The map on their website was absolutely frikin useless, even if you can read Thai!

Never mind. Aparrently the organizers have no intention of helping farang (even Koreans!) to find the place. Shame, too, because those kids are about to play and we ain't there.

Yes, Rasseru, mistaken once again. I am still amazed that even the map of the meeting place (restaurant that was described by the neighbor as "yai") was worthless even in Thai, and it was nowhere to be seen on 19 km of local roads.

I do know what yai means in Thai. Even when spoken by yai Tai Yais.

Thanks for the reminder. A Korean friend who plays piano told me the concert had passed several days ago, but I can make it, so I will go.

///HELP! I thought I knew my way around Hang Dong, but where is that?....Oh never mind, I can find SONY gate in my sleep.

Sory about that, if you turned left opposite the Sony sign as it shows on the map you were no more than three minutes from the Banwangtan restaurant location.

Even with my lack of knowledge, I managed to pass on the message from Rasseru, in fact having arrived there and with the programme in hand I passed on that information by phone to a Thai gentleman after Khun Nok asked me to assist again, amazing coincidence?

Anyway it was a good night and the 200+ people who did get there enjoyed it- always next year :o

Thanks for the reminder. A Korean friend who plays piano told me the concert had passed several days ago, but I can make it, so I will go.

///HELP! I thought I knew my way around Hang Dong, but where is that?....Oh never mind, I can find SONY gate in my sleep.

Sory about that, if you turned left opposite the Sony sign as it shows on the map you were no more than three minutes from the Banwangtan restaurant location.

Even with my lack of knowledge, I managed to pass on the message from Rasseru, in fact having arrived there and with the programme in hand I passed on that information by phone to a Thai gentleman after Khun Nok asked me to assist again, amazing coincidence?

Anyway it was a good night and the 200+ people who did get there enjoyed it- always next year :o

No, the restaurant is far, far too difficult to find. The organizers and the promoters should have known. I scoured the neighborhood far and wide, almost drove into a rice paddy, stopped and asked for directions, wasted an hour of my time, and was deeply disappointed. Your apology is accepted, but I doubt I will go on any more wild goose chases.

No, the restaurant is far, far too difficult to find. The organizers and the promoters should have known. I scoured the neighborhood far and wide, almost drove into a rice paddy, stopped and asked for directions, wasted an hour of my time, and was deeply disappointed. Your apology is accepted, but I doubt I will go on any more wild goose chases.

Still surprised you could not find it, many did- there is a huge entrance to Banwangtan estate with guards at the gate, literally 2 minutes from the turn opposite the Sony sign off Hang Dong road.

Ah well - I will suggest they add the new Big C and Makro to their map, again 5 mins from the estate.

No, that is not the problem. There is no signage after a certain point. There probably is no sign near that entrance. Look at how vague the map is:

http://www.banwangtan.com/index.php?option...5&Itemid=34

They need to complete the directional signage inside the road that leads from Sony gate. They need to have signage (even icons or logos).

Is Ban wangtan a gated estate, rather than merely a restaurant? You - yes, you, you well-intentioned do-gooder - wasted an hour of my time.

No, that is not the problem. There is no signage after a certain point. There probably is no sign near that entrance. Look at how vague the map is:

http://www.banwangtan.com/index.php?option...5&Itemid=34

They need to complete the directional signage inside the road that leads from Sony gate. They need to have signage (even icons or logos).

Is Ban wangtan a gated estate, rather than merely a restaurant? You - yes, you, you well-intentioned do-gooder - wasted an hour of my time.

Consider my "well-intentioned do-gooder'" days over and done with. :o

Edited by Thailand

Anyway it was a good night and the 200+ people who did get there enjoyed it- always next year :D

Glad to hear it was a good night and a good turnout, and thanks for passing on my message. I would expect it to be well received and well understood, at least if it reaches the right level.

Still curious what the programme was, assuming today falls on the sunny side of the wall ending your period of well-intentioned do-gooder-dom.

Finally, Peace Blondie, oddly, and although you may not be happy to hear it, even before hearing of your unfortunate search last night I had an extremely well-formed image of you as one of the most natural of blondes when it comes to finding your way around, one, in other words, who comes equipped with a sense of wander, but almost none of direction. Next year, programme permitting, I promise to guide you to the concert! :o

Anyway it was a good night and the 200+ people who did get there enjoyed it- always next year :D

Glad to hear it was a good night and a good turnout, and thanks for passing on my message. I would expect it to be well received and well understood, at least if it reaches the right level.

Still curious what the programme was, assuming today falls on the sunny side of the wall ending your period of well-intentioned do-gooder-dom.

Finally, Peace Blondie, oddly, and although you may not be happy to hear it, even before hearing of your unfortunate search last night I had an extremely well-formed image of you as one of the most natural of blondes when it comes to finding your way around, one, in other words, who comes equipped with a sense of wander, but almost none of direction. Next year, programme permitting, I promise to guide you to the concert! :D

Hopefully with a pre concert programme and an improved map. :o

The concert was well worth going to. Even Rasseru would have thoroughly enjoyed the piano and cello pieces, which were beautifully played. Thank you to all involved in putting it on. However, I sympathize with Peace Blondie about the map. I only found the concert because I threw the map away and used a commercial map of CM instead. It seems amazing that it is possible to produce a map to somewhere which is fundamentally easy to find which is so poor---out of scale, half in English and half in Thai and misleading in either language, particularly in Thai, and missing out obvious easy landmarks. On second thoughts, a big thank you to all involved, except whoever drew the map!

Neil