A Laid Back Place In Phuket?

Captain Chaos

My parents (in their late 60's) are coming on holiday this coming December. They've been to Thailand many times before, but not since I moved to Singapore. We'll spend a few days in SG then move on to a resort location for a couple of weeks. One option is Phuket as it's so easy to get there from Changi. I've only been to Phuket once (Patong - which I deeply disliked) and don't know it well but I'm aware it's a big island. Can anyone recommend an area that might be suitable for my folks to stay? They like beachfront restaurants, nice scenery, and service with a smile - they don't like raucous nightlife, girly bars, inflated prices etc.

Anywhere on Phuket that fits the bill?

Thanks,

CC

Naiharn, Hat Surin (Surin Beach; if you look it up, be careful you don't go to a link about Surin province), Kamala, Kata Noi... in no particular order of preference. Probably these are the best options. Kamala has the advantage of being a centralised village on the beach, so may be the best choice (and is also the village in which the Fantasea complex is located). There are also the resorts up towards the airport (cater for everything, but rather remote and amongst the most expensive of places). I suggest you do some serious googling! There is plenty of information about these places on the Web.

Good luck!

Average age of tourist in December is probably about 68, :o .

Can be expensive, but there is cheaper accom 1km or so back from the beach.

The beach has the safest swimming of any beach on the west coast, due to gradual slope and coral reef protection.

The few bars and restaurants are all very safe and friendly here.

Whilst it is very close to A'port one would hardly realise it, the only downside is the distance to Patong or Phuket Town - but if your folks are looking for paece and quiet with amenities this is it, next option would be Nai Thon (Though the beach there not quite so safe for swimming- IMO)

the whole Laguna Complex is perfectly suited for families and you won't find a trace of Patong in it.

The service is great the resorts are beautiful and you have 5 to choose from that will fit your budget.

It's a really nice well managed beach holiday that you won't need to think or worry about.

http://lagunaphuket.com/

I was going to recommend Laguna. The prices are higher, but their whole complex is very peaceful and well kept. It would be good if you rent a car so you have the freedom to come and go as you please. Kamala is also very nice for families and the beach is nice there. Someone mentioned Surin Beach. It used to be nice, but the traffic in that are has become really bad and the prices are artificially high.

Hey CC,

I agree with the above two posts. Laguna or anywhere on Bang Tao would probably best. There are few cheaper Bang Tao hotels too - depends on their budget. The beach is very exclusive, fairly quite but has bars and restaurants dotted around. As far as I can tell, no hookers, no karaoke.

It is also stunning with the jungle coming down to the beach - Hotels are very well hidden.

However, Service with a Smile - very rare on Phuket.

Nai Thon, Bang Tao or Nai Yang would probably be ideal. Personally I prefer Nai Thon but there's probably a bit better choice of restaurants and bars in Nai Yang or Bang Tao.

I agree with Colnel_Mustard 100%. Nai Thon is by far my favorite beach on Phuket. Very large beach, with only one single row of beach chairs, which are never full, makes it feel a world away from the busier beaches. But for a good choice of decent restaurants you need to go further south. If you've got transport, I would say stay at Nai Thon and then drive south when you need to. Just driving around that area is pleasurable in itself, with all the rubber tree fields and the like.

My parents (in their late 60's) are coming on holiday this coming December. They've been to Thailand many times before, but not since I moved to Singapore. We'll spend a few days in SG then move on to a resort location for a couple of weeks. One option is Phuket as it's so easy to get there from Changi. I've only been to Phuket once (Patong - which I deeply disliked) and don't know it well but I'm aware it's a big island. Can anyone recommend an area that might be suitable for my folks to stay? They like beachfront restaurants, nice scenery, and service with a smile - they don't like raucous nightlife, girly bars, inflated prices etc.

Thanks,

CC

All Seasons Resort, Nai Hairn Beach.

It used to be called Sabana Resort but Accor snatched it up, did some renovations and it's pretty nice. Wine bar balconey overlooking the beach, just outside the resort on the beach all kinds of Thai food places, a decent Italian restaurant right next door.

Good spot.

Thanks,

CC

All Seasons Resort, Nai Hairn Beach.

It used to be called Sabana Resort but Accor snatched it up, did some renovations and it's pretty nice. Wine bar balconey overlooking the beach, just outside the resort on the beach all kinds of Thai food places, a decent Italian restaurant right next door.

Good spot.

Nai Harn or Rawai

Sincere thanks to everyone who has replied - especially Ade who had to put up with my incessant questioning over 3 buckets of Asahi on Friday night :D

The All Seasons resort at Nai Harn does look very nice indeed judging by the ultra-modern piccies on the Accor website, and generally I've had good experiences with Accor hotels over the years, so we may have a winner there ... and in which case I must also nominate Mr H. Bear of Phuket for the "Captain's Commendation" :o

Edited by Captain Chaos

Sincere thanks to everyone who has replied - especially Ade who had to put up with my incessant questioning over 3 buckets of Asahi on Friday night :D

The All Seasons resort at Nai Harn does look very nice indeed judging by the ultra-modern piccies on the Accor website, and generally I've had good experiences with Accor hotels over the years, so we may have a winner there ... and in which case I must also nominate Mr H. Bear of Phuket for the "Captain's Commendation" :o

Thanks Captain !

Happy to help.

HB

Nai Harn , Nai Yang, Nai Thon are all good :D Laguna is a bit expensive if compare to those three ...

Nai Yang and Nai Thon are close to the airport

Nai Harn is on the south ... All Season on Nai Harn now having a promotional price ( I think ... I saw the ad somewhere on PhuketGazette )

Enjoy searching :o

Cheers to everyone for the replies so far ... my dad has found the Cape Panwa Hotel via his travel agent in the UK who are quoting GBP 43 pppn over the Xmas/New Yr holiday period which seems pretty competitive... anyone help me out with any comments about the location and/or the hotel itself?

Thankyou.

CC

Cheers to everyone for the replies so far ... my dad has found the Cape Panwa Hotel via his travel agent in the UK who are quoting GBP 43 pppn over the Xmas/New Yr holiday period which seems pretty competitive... anyone help me out with any comments about the location and/or the hotel itself?

Thankyou.

CC

I find it a nice part of the island for a day trip, but wouldn't want to spend a week or more there to be honest. Doesn't compare to any of the places already mentioned in my opinion.

Thankyou.

CC

Too far away from anything interesting CC, those resorts definitely have their people captured. Good though if your parents just want to stay put in a resort. Also, beaches not so nice over there.

Stick with All Season's. Your folks will then be walking distance from beachside Thai restaurants, little bit of shopping, and Sunday The Le Meridien Phuket Yacht Club just 20 meters away from All Seasons has a really nice brunch buffet.

Cheers, HB

Thankyou.

CC

Too far away from anything interesting CC, those resorts definitely have their people captured. Good though if your parents just want to stay put in a resort. Also, beaches not so nice over there.

Stick with All Season's. Your folks will then be walking distance from beachside Thai restaurants, little bit of shopping, and Sunday The Le Meridien Phuket Yacht Club just 20 meters away from All Seasons has a really nice brunch buffet.

Cheers, HB

Blimey - good job I asked - better veto that idea immediately!!! :o

Thanks to Woohoo and Huggy again.

CC

For my money given the age of the old dears Rawai or Nai Harn, Icon has a lovely 24 bed hotel, quiet and very relaxed but 10 mins away from Kata and the rooms are brilliant, I might be biased but I find Kamala, Surin, Laguna souless places from hel_l. And then the only place close is Patong which is truly hel_l!

For my money given the age of the old dears Rawai or Nai Harn, Icon has a lovely 24 bed hotel, quiet and very relaxed but 10 mins away from Kata and the rooms are brilliant, I might be biased but I find Kamala, Surin, Laguna souless places from hel_l. And then the only place close is Patong which is truly hel_l!

Are you referring to the Icon between kata view point and rawai beach?  If so wouldn't that be noisy as Icon is known to be a really late night spot.

Kamala has the advantage of being a centralised village on the beach, so may be the best choice (and is also the village in which the Fantasea complex is located).

Kamala is a dump. The main road has been a dirty construction zone for toooooo long.

In 1990 when it was still grazing buffalos and marshland (before Fantasea), it was nice. Now, since the Tsunami, everywhere else on the island is fixed up, but Kamala still looks like cr*&p.

Sorry Ping, pet peeve of mine as I roll through there regularly. Can't stands the place !

With those requirements, I suggest Langkawi island in Malaysia. On the west side (I believe) there's a long strip on the beach with bungalows and restaurants. Very peaceful, family-oriented, service with a (genuine) smile, very inexpensive, safe, and closer to Singapore. A driver can be hired per day to hit really superb beaches (on the north end) and/or shopping.

With those requirements, I suggest Langkawi island in Malaysia. On the west side (I believe) there's a long strip on the beach with bungalows and restaurants. Very peaceful, family-oriented, service with a (genuine) smile, very inexpensive, safe, and closer to Singapore. A driver can be hired per day to hit really superb beaches (on the north end) and/or shopping.

Thought about Langkawi (see my post in SEA forum) ... whilst budget is not a problem, the AP's will want value for their dosh and all the Langkawi hotels I've found so far look somewhat overpriced for what they actually offer. That said, I don't know much about Malaysia so may be looking in the wrong places hotel-wise...

CC

when my folks (same age bracket) came to visit I thought they wanted peace and quiet too. In the end they found Bangla more interesting -- especially Soi Crocodile -- than Cherng Talay!

Did you break it to Mom, that the dancers people were looking at on Bangla weren't actually women?

How about a villa close to the laguna complex but much nicer and cheaper, 5 mins walk to bangtao beach and all the restaurants !

OK - where??? :o

CC

'Thaibali' on the beach road in cherngtalay just south of laguna beach resort, 5 mins walk to bangtao beach