Types of visas

OK, Ive read everything and get most of it. My question is, what are the advantages of one visa over the others? Every year I get a non O multiple. Every 3 months I go to Nong Khai, cross the bridge for 20 minutes, then go back home. Not really a big deal but it would be nice if I didnt have to. Is a visa run required with a marriagevisa, or a retirement visa? And what about permanant residency? I read that they only accept 100 applicants from each country per year. As an American, what are my chances of being one of those 100? Plus, when the new fees go into effect, if an applicant doesnt get in, there goes 7500 baht down the drain, right? Id like all the facts before I start anything. Anyone know the answers? By the way, this is a pretty good website. Ta Tom

OK, Ive read everything and get most of it

Still a lot of questions. :o

It seems you now have a "marriage visa" in the form of a multi entry class O visa.  If you can put 200-250k into a bank account and prove support for your wife you can extend your stay on a yearly basis and not have to exit country anymore.  In theory you wife can also be the supporter.  Even with money in the bank expect close examination of your income source.  The retirement option is almost the same but you now have to have 800k in bank or as income and some extra forms.  For PR you pay the fee as many times as it takes.  As you know, the numbers are very limited.

Dr. Pat Pong and Lopburi, thanks for the replys. Im still a little confused. Im 53 and get my non O multi, by submitting my marriage certificate. I have 1300000 Bt in a joint bank account with my wife. What visa would be best, or perhaps with the least paperwork and running around? Plus, can I do it at immigration in Nong Khai? Please bear with me, Im not too sharp when it comes to these matters. Ta Tom

Take your wife, marriage certificate, evidence of your place of abode, and a letter from your bank evidencing your funds to any Immigration office and apply for a one year extension of your present visa on  either retirement or marriage grounds. You are aged over 50,  married to a Thai, and your funds are more than adequate. Go for it, but do it quickly because fees will rise on 26 August. Present fees are 500 baht for the extension, and 1000 baht for a mutiple entry re-entry permit ( necessary if you need to leave Thailand often, and re-enter )

When your current 90 day stay is down to less than 30 days remaining go to immigration office with wife, marriage certificate, home register or lease, letter from bank (200 baht) confirming account balance, photos together at wedding or at home, her ID card, your passport and copies of everything that you/she/both sign for immigration to keep.  You will need passport size photos taken within the last six months and 500 baht TM.7 fee.

If you fear marriage will end but you want to stay apply for retirement visa (will need medical and perhaps other paperwork for that).  

If marriage is reason to say here the lower bank requirements of it are probably good in case you need to spend down the bank account in the future.  Above paperwork should be all you need.  On form that is filled out they require your income to be stated so you might want to bring a pension receipt/copy for them.

Current thinking is that fees will not increase this year.