Hot Food

iainiain101

Well. been in CM over 3 months, and its not cheese, sausages or pizzas I am missing, but genuinely spicy food.

I eat out and cook at home. I am coming round to the theory that the Thai green and red peppers are not as hot as you would use in say Mexic an and Indian cooking?

I love the really spicy Tom Yum and Vindaloo you can get here, but really miss a dish to make your top lip tremble, sweat....

any suggestions for where to buy hot ingrediants in town?

Cheers

Iain

Surely you jest Ianx2. Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink ? Maybe the heat in the weather has your body attuned to dealing with the heat of the chilies better ? Or maybe you're getting some weak chilies ? -doubt it. Or maybe you just are mas macho than me....

I went thru a period of being a super-Thai and putting chili on everything I ate to be like the natives. After like 4 or 5 months my azz rebelled and told me to quit it. Since then, there's just a little for flavor and a zing, that's all I need. And, at risk of too much info, my loaves are restored to proper loafdom as well! I know several others who have gone thru this same spicy-food-and-expat-life growth curve.

Edited by realthaideal

Well. been in CM over 3 months, and its not cheese, sausages or pizzas I am missing, but genuinely spicy food.

I eat out and cook at home. I am coming round to the theory that the Thai green and red peppers are not as hot as you would use in say Mexic an and Indian cooking?

I love the really spicy Tom Yum and Vindaloo you can get here, but really miss a dish to make your top lip tremble, sweat....

any suggestions for where to buy hot ingrediants in town?

Cheers

Iain

I am not sure that is something to brag about. It's like pepper spraying your insides. After a while something is going to give.

Call me crazy but I have this theory that food is not meant to be painful....when the food is so overpowerfully spicy that you CANNOT taste the other ingredients comma it gives rise to another theory of mine that suggests a cover-up of foul and rancid meat and other ingredients. Hey! look at me! I can eat spicier food than you! Give something well prepared with actual taste comma thank you very much.

Guess you need to try my wife's som tahm - when I watch her and her family eating it, everyone has beads of sweat popping up on their forehead and sniffing like a bad cold. :D No, I don't eat it even though I grew up in Texas with lots of Mexican food. The amount of 'prick kee noo and nahm prick' she uses would keep a small farm in business. :o

Actually I suspect a troll or someone who is eating at little cafes for Farang rather than on the streets. You go down to Warorot market and order something. Or like Tywais says, go order some Som Tam Lao, phet phet and see what happens. The lady right near Spicy - up the street a bit and towards Warorot turn off with an official restaurant stall - at night makes a darn mean if not tasty one.

Also hit a khao gaeng restaurant for Thais in the daytime - the ones with all the little pots sitting outside. You point n they put it over rice for you. There's always a variety of hot stuff on offer.

Have tried the Som Tahm in a lot of places including Warrot Road, and live with the Thai missus and mother in law and they all like spicy, but not hot. The missus comes from Mae Hon Song and likes very spicy food, but was surprised in the UK by how hot a lot of people would have curries. It is that sort of heat I was reerring to, say a good Phall strength curry.

I do think Spicy do the best Tom Yum in CM though. Not been allowed there for a couple of years though! (missus and baby now...)