Any Oil & Gas Work Going On In The Area?

I am an Instrument tech. currently working offshore Aberdeen (UK). I have a home in Thailand and would ideally like to get a job close to Thailand. A couple of years ago when I was in Saudi a lot of people went off to Vietnam. I don’t know if there is much work going on in that region at the moment. Does anyone know of any work in the area and have any contact numbers/ addresses for offshore work in or around Thailand?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

The main problem you have is the ready supply of good Thai techs. I've worked with Thai Inst Techs in Thailand, across Asia and the Middle East, even in the former USSR. They have on the whole been excellent, and they are extremely cheap.

Making that up, maybe.

But I've seen Thai techs handling Pnumatic Loops, 4~20mA, Hart, Foundation Fieldbus. Analyser Systems. DCS, ESD Rotating Equipment and Machine Monitoring Surge Controllers (CCC etc).

Ten years ago I would have said there were oportunities, these days I doubt it.

My brother (based in Aberdeen) has been to Myanmar, Malaysia, Northern Australia, and I think there's a job in Vietnam coming up. All in the past couple of years, so there's definitely offshore exploration going on.

However, it's all short term stuff (i.e. there for 2-3 weeks, then gone again), and it's all through the company he works for in Aberdeen. Any long term jobs are either local hires for local nationals, or are transfers in from abroad for the company running the rig.

I think your best bet (if you don't want Thai wages) is to ask around in Aberdeen if anyone knows of something coming up out here... The problem then is that, this time of year, any job in the sun (outside Nigeria and Iraq obviously) is probably looking very attractive to anyone in Aberdeen that's heard about it.