The New Honda Jazz

Same here I won't be changing...very dissapointed as I thought with all the hype this was gonna be the ultimate hatch, sadly far from it.

Did not know about the 7 speed coming later in the year..I think there will be a lot of changes over the next year as sales flop

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that supposed to be funny? This is a discussion about the quality of the car. Please move your homophobic remarks and male insecurity issues to a different forum, perhaps Health, Body and Medicine...

Now back to the discussion: The new Jazz does look a bit bigger mostly due to styling. Seeing it side-by-side to the Yaris it gets my vote. The new Kia Picanto, which is considerably cheaper, looks a bit like a toy next to the Jazz. I have not had a chance to see the new Nissan Tiida but it has some good reviews.

ummmm, anyone would think you drive a Jazz! :o

Time to give it a rest Onnut. You're just exposing your prejudices and insecurities. We're here to discuss cars.

For what it's worth, the new Jazz has won at least one Car of the Year award in Japan.

I think the Honda Jazz is a great chick's car. Assume you lot are buying one for your g/f?

Yes, i agree, it's a girlie car, but why would you buy one for your g/f? She wants it, she buys it, that's what i always say, but i am an old-fashioned romantic.

Girlie car? Market share for the Jazz shows 60% driven by men

How many of those "men" have pony tails and limp wrists?

Was that supposed to be funny? This is a discussion about the quality of the car. Please move your homophobic remarks and male insecurity issues to a different forum, perhaps Health, Body and Medicine...

Now back to the discussion: The new Jazz does look a bit bigger mostly due to styling. Seeing it side-by-side to the Yaris it gets my vote. The new Kia Picanto, which is considerably cheaper, looks a bit like a toy next to the Jazz. I have not had a chance to see the new Nissan Tiida but it has some good reviews.

ummmm, anyone would think you drive a Jazz! :o

Time to give it a rest Onnut. You're just exposing your prejudices and insecurities. We're here to discuss cars.

For what it's worth, the new Jazz has won at least one Car of the Year award in Japan.

I think the Honda Jazz is a great chick's car. Assume you lot are buying one for your g/f?

Yes, i agree, it's a girlie car, but why would you buy one for your g/f? She wants it, she buys it, that's what i always say, but i am an old-fashioned romantic.

Girlie car? Market share for the Jazz shows 60% driven by men

How many of those "men" have pony tails and limp wrists?

ummmm, anyone would think you drive a Jazz! :D

And you are exposing an inability in yourself to see light-hearted banter for it is, and instead trying to turn the matter it into some sort of grievous hateful slur. I'm sure the group you seek to protect would be more offended by your assumption that they don't have a sense of humour than by anything else. Or perhaps the truth is you are not protecting them, but Jazz owners, who would rather not be considered from that group. Why i wonder?

What i do admit to being guilty of, as much as anyone else anyway, is taking this thread :o , so i will say no more on the subject, and look forward to hearing from some more people like TerryP with first-hand experience of the new Honda Jazz.

So no ones got an answer????

I have ..the new Jazz looks cheap compared to last years edition….too many angles on the body shape, front looks like a birds beak ?? strange blobs on the headlights for sidelights, doors open and look too square; again cheap feel..new dash looks ok but not as well laid out in my opinion, ..Nice to have the USB post….steering wheel is from the Civic gear paddles on the steering wheel are not that user friendly (radio controls also now on the steering wheel)

Interior is bigger but when you sit in the car does not feel much bigger (in the drivers seat anyway)

Door trim is not going to wear well..seats are adjustable up/down now, steering column is adjustable also now .MASSIVE DASH...Good if you like to drink in the car..holes for cups everywhere

Engine bay is so small, goes under the massive glass windscreen now. WHY NO SUNROOF ?

2-3 months waiting list at the moment, colors are pretty bland…..white has my vote

Back of car sits too high…..overall I'm very disappointed, Honda have dropped the ball on this one

Overall quality & build are cheap :o

Well, i myself have now had a chance to have a decent look at the vehicle, (although not drive it) and have to say i'm in pretty much whole-hearted agreement with Terry.

The new Jazz IMO is not that pretty. They've not really been that adventurous. Just kind of extended the old model, put some new light clusters on it, and a few quirky bits of design like the rear windscreen. The old Jazz was quite simple in it's design. The new one is fiddly and awkward. Kind of reminds me of the mess Honda made of face-lifting the old Accord model.

Inside it looked all a bit cheap.

The one i saw was in white, and if you reckon Terry that this is the best colour, i'd hate to see what it looks like in another shade.

Perhaps with the right alloys and tinted windows, it might raise its game, but from what i've seen so far, i'm not at all impressed!

Anyone taken delivery of one yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw one in red and although it wasn't enough to completely revise my opinion, i will say that it looked kinda ok.

So anyone got one yet?

And with the new Jazz now out, just wondering how much longer before they replace that long-in-the-tooth City. Any ideas?

just wondering how much longer before they replace that long-in-the-tooth City. Any ideas?

Different web site says the all new City is due late 2008........ have only seen one artist drawing.....

The new Jazz looks nothing like the artist drawing of early 2007......

There again they said that the new Jazz would arrive in the 3rd quarter of 2008......... yet it was here for the Motor Show in the 1st quarter

That is hideous!! :o Looks like a Fairground Bumper Car. Loved the old model!

As I said before 'The new Jazz looks nothing like the artist drawing of early 2007......'

here is the picture of what the Jazz was to look like back in March 2007

post-42643-1212278123_thumb.jpg

As you can see looks nothing like the Jazz that came out.... somehow the picture of the New City looks like a booted version on the early Jazz piture

• 2 weeks later...
I think this one will be imported from Indonesia as an answer to Toyota Avanza. It looks better, but Indonesian assembled Stream didn't take off here, partly due to low quality.

The problem with the Stream is the price, you can buy the same type and size Toyota Wish cheaper.....

The Freed is the same price range as the Jazz + even cheaper than the Toyota Avanza.....

Time will tell..... only 5yrs ago if was almost impossible to buy a small car, or a small hatchback, everyone said No no not in Thailand Thais would never buy a small car or a hatchback, now even a short trip you will see many small + hatchbacks

We picked up a new Jazz SV yesterday and it seems fine so far for a girls car.

Overall quality & build are cheap... Inside it looked all a bit cheap.

... What are you comparing it to? a BMW... I think the interior is pretty good for the price bracket. We had hired an old Jazz last year for 2 months and just recently a Toyota Vios for 6 months and the new Jazz is definitely better than both.

Performance is what you would expect from a 1.5 litre engine. It handles nicely and you can feel the road much more than the Vios. Seats are comfortable and for a small car it has plenty of room, although if you had 4 people in the car, forget about taking any luggage.

As far as looks go, well everyone will have an opinion but we chose white, the SV model comes with skirts, 16 inch alloys and tints. I don't think it looks too bad for a compact.

If I didn't have better things to spend my money on or required driving longer distances, then I would have opted for the Accord. Horses for courses...

Overall I think the new Jazz is definitely an improvement on the last model.

We picked up a new Jazz SV yesterday and it seems fine so far for a girls car.

Overall quality & build are cheap... Inside it looked all a bit cheap.

... What are you comparing it to? a BMW... I think the interior is pretty good for the price bracket. We had hired an old Jazz last year for 2 months and just recently a Toyota Vios for 6 months and the new Jazz is definitely better than both.

Performance is what you would expect from a 1.5 litre engine. It handles nicely and you can feel the road much more than the Vios. Seats are comfortable and for a small car it has plenty of room, although if you had 4 people in the car, forget about taking any luggage.

As far as looks go, well everyone will have an opinion but we chose white, the SV model comes with skirts, 16 inch alloys and tints. I don't think it looks too bad for a compact.

If I didn't have better things to spend my money on or required driving longer distances, then I would have opted for the Accord. Horses for courses...

Overall I think the new Jazz is definitely an improvement on the last model.

Pleased to hear you are happy with your purchase.

I have warmed to the looks of the new Jazz, but do feel Honda chickened out big style on this one. What's the easiest way to improve a car without doing very much? Make it a bit longer and a bit wider and Bob's your uncle. Of course this is common practice with all manufacturers when they have run out of ideas and are scared of frightening away loyal customers. How many times have you seen a new model come out that is smaller than its predecessor?

Anyway, i'm interested to hear you say that the interior quality is better than the new Vios. That was what i was comparing the Jazz to and to me, at a glance, the Jazz didn't seem that great. Guess I'll have to go back and give it a closer inspection.

Pleased to hear you are happy with your purchase.

I have warmed to the looks of the new Jazz, but do feel Honda chickened out big style on this one. What's the easiest way to improve a car without doing very much? Make it a bit longer and a bit wider and Bob's your uncle. Of course this is common practice with all manufacturers when they have run out of ideas and are scared of frightening away loyal customers. How many times have you seen a new model come out that is smaller than its predecessor?

Anyway, i'm interested to hear you say that the interior quality is better than the new Vios. That was what i was comparing the Jazz to and to me, at a glance, the Jazz didn't seem that great. Guess I'll have to go back and give it a closer inspection.

Honda has definitely played it safe regarding the style and design compared to the last model, but as you say they probably didn't want to screw with what is a popular choice in its class.

With regards to the Vios Vs Jazz interior... we had hired a Vios J class, which is the basic model. The cloth on the seats was cheap, the flooring carpet was thin, the dash was boring and the overall feel (for me) was, in a word basic. And the handling was average, on the open road the car felt edgy at speeds over 100 km/h. Maybe the higher spec model has a better quality interior set up, but I would imagine the handling and general layout to be similar.

We have purchased the SV Jazz, which is the top spec model and the seats are soft and comfortable, the flooring carpet is pretty good, the dash is laid out nicely, the stereo works seamlessly with an ipod and the overall feel in the car is not bad for cheap motor. As I said the car feels nicer to drive than the Vios especially through corners at speed. The Jazz does lack storage space if all four seats are being used. The Vios at least has a reasonably sized boot (trunk).

It will be interesting to see how the new Jazz sells... The Honda dealership we bought from still has a two month plus waiting period.

Edited by moneyshot

I got my new jazz on May 22nd...

Have owned a Yaris, NOT AS GOOD AS THE NEW JAZZ...

I have owned a Triton and a Vigo too, they are also not as good as the Jazz...

The New Jazz is very quiet and very comfortable, I am also very big so if you are a smaller person, well this is the car for you!

I did not get the Top model since I do not need the floppy paddle shifts and an armrest...

Love it and it just keeps getting better... I can drive for hours without feeling tired or sore...

It tops out at 180Kmph but that is in reality fast enough... thanks to the 5th gear I can cruise at 140 at 3000rpm or 160 at 3700rpm... Its not so cheap on petrol with active driving, but what car is???

I can get 4 standard size golf bags in the back without putting the seat down... so 5 adults and 4 golf bags with no problems, Girly car? Give me a break... Sure the girls like it and thinks its cute...

I love it and so does my friends, BTW none of us are gay,,, the Jazz is just a very very good car... Maybe the Fiasco (fiesta) can be compared with it, but nothing out there at this time can so there you go... Its chosen car of the year several times for a reason...

I did not get the Top model since I do not need the floppy paddle shifts and an armrest...

Fair enough, but you do get a few more bits than that; 16 inch alloys, side skirts, stereo controls on the steering wheel, map lights, turn signals on the retractable side mirrors, a tip on the exhaust and an all black seat trim. All of which is not too important but none the less adds to the looks and comfort.

Love it and it just keeps getting better... I can drive for hours without feeling tired or sore...

Agreed, the car is a pleasure to drive. I wasn't expecting much but have been pleasantly surprised.

It tops out at 180Kmph but that is in reality fast enough... thanks to the 5th gear I can cruise at 140 at 3000rpm or 160 at 3700rpm...

Will have to take your word on that, my wife would freak out if I did 180Km/h, although I wouldn't be surprised as the little 1.5l engine has 88kW and is quite peppy.

I can get 4 standard size golf bags in the back without putting the seat down... so 5 adults and 4 golf bags with no problems, Girly car? Give me a break... Sure the girls like it and thinks its cute...

4 golf bags with 5 adults! I am impressed. We can just squeeze a compact baby stroller in the back without the seats down, which doesn't leave too much room for other things. The 'girly' car comment was just a stab at the earlier posts in this thread but its not exactly the most masculine car out there, just look at the intro video on the Honda website.

I love it and so does my friends, BTW none of us are gay,,, the Jazz is just a very very good car... Maybe the Fiasco (fiesta) can be compared with it, but nothing out there at this time can so there you go... Its chosen car of the year several times for a reason...

Agreed, I think its a pretty good little car, better than the others in its class - and I'm not gay either.

Myself will wait and see as the All New Honda Freed is based on the Jazz + has the All NEW 7speed CVT

My test drive of the new Jazz, I found the Civic sourced 5 speed noiser than my older model 7speed CVT

Time will tell..... only 5yrs ago if was almost impossible to buy a small car, or a small hatchback, everyone said No no not in Thailand Thais would never buy a small car or a hatchback, now even a short trip you will see many small + hatchbacks

That's true. I remember thinking how strange it was when i first came to Thailand - seeing all these bland Japanese booted saloon cars in dour greys and beiges, and reading that that was what the Thai public wanted. Thais don't like small cars, they don't like hatchbacks, and they don't like bright colours they said. What nonsense that turned out to be. I guess it was just the manufactorers who couldn't be bothered to do anything exciting. The roads are still boring compared with Europe, but much better than before.

• 3 weeks later...
My new Jazz. The more I drive it, the more I love it...

Picked up mine, fire engine red, this afternoon. Only did 60 km so far, my fuel consumption gadget says 13.6 km/l

Wonder if I can better that. Happy with then car, good seat (top of the line model), good handling, good feel. Will tell more after some more miles.

Well Congrats sir, I do hope you will be happy with it...

Do post some pictures of it soon... We can start a club.

I just filled up my tank again. The trip computer told me I had done 511 km, and averaged 16.8 km. In reality, it took 33.8 liter, which means it used about 15.1 km/ liter. Driven mostly with unusual soft foot (for me), since I wanted to find out what economy I could get. 2/3 of this distance on open road, 1/3 in town. Still not too bad, the rentals I used (Honda City and Toyota Soluna) used about 12 km/liter.

I think if I mainly use it around town, i could get about 13 km/liter.

That's a long way of the 8 km /liter I used to get in my Citroen CX 2.5 L Turbo 2 a few years ago.......

Another thing I love about this new car is the USB fed MP3 player. I don't need my iPod anymore, can just stick a USB stick in the slot and play all my favourite music.

Noise? What noise?

The engine is nosier than mine, tested it again today at a different Honda, drove there in my Jazz...

I questioned them about when the 'all new' 7speed CVT would be fitted, but they would not give an answer..

saying it has the new gearbox..

Strange as the all new City and the all new Freed, both using the new Jazz platform will have the all new 7 speed CVT.

This Honda Dealer offered a very high trade in price for mine, still did not tempt me

• 1 month later...

My Girlfriend has just bought a Jazz 2 days ago, we drove it from Suratthani to Phuket and back to Surrathani so a good 3.5 Hr drive one way at low and high speeds.

When I was behind the wheel, It was was excellent to drive around town and impressed me how these small cars are very good on fuel. Great on the Phuket Hills and used the Auto D3, 2 gears also for quicker acceleration.

However I noticed on Route 44 (nice dual way) 2 hr straight road only slight bumps, it starting to feel a minor side to side movement around speeds of 120km and more at 140 K. Its was only minor but I have only drove heavy cars than this before (Pick up etc) So the steering felt twitchy and the car felt lighter? with slight bumps in the road and didn't feel comfortable at high speed but as soon as speeds of 80-90 it was very solid.

To be honest I have only ever driven a Honda City and Isuzu Pickup on this type of road and usually 140 k speed max.And never a small car like this.

Now I am presuming 120km+ is to much for a car of this size? and its 2 day old but to be honest the engine felt it had more in in it very quiet but as I said felt a bit twitchy at higher speeds.

Is this normal or do we need to get the wheels checked? not that we drive these speeds around town anyway :o

My Girlfriend has just bought a Jazz 2 days ago, we drove it from Suratthani to Phuket and back to Surrathani so a good 3.5 Hr drive one way at low and high speeds.

When I was behind the wheel, It was was excellent to drive around town and impressed me how these small cars are very good on fuel. Great on the Phuket Hills and used the Auto D3, 2 gears also for quicker acceleration.

However I noticed on Route 44 (nice dual way) 2 hr straight road only slight bumps, it starting to feel a minor side to side movement around speeds of 120km and more at 140 K. Its was only minor but I have only drove heavy cars than this before (Pick up etc) So the steering felt twitchy and the car felt lighter? with slight bumps in the road and didn't feel comfortable at high speed but as soon as speeds of 80-90 it was very solid.

To be honest I have only ever driven a Honda City and Isuzu Pickup on this type of road and usually 140 k speed max.And never a small car like this.

Now I am presuming 120km+ is to much for a car of this size? and its 2 day old but to be honest the engine felt it had more in in it very quiet but as I said felt a bit twitchy at higher speeds.

Is this normal or do we need to get the wheels checked? not that we drive these speeds around town anyway :o

First of all I would like to say that I usually get about 14km pr ltr when I am driving now. In town I do only get about 11if I am very careful. Open roads I can get 17 or 18 (depends on the driving).

I changed the tires when I got mine, they were a bit to skinny for my taste. LOOK AT THEM. Get some wider wheels and you will feel the difference...

Post some pictures of your jazz here...

PS. I have driven from Nakhon to Phuket average around 140 with no problems. I have also driven from Nakhon to Had Yai and done most of that trip at 180kph, The car goes well and its not that unstable, but hey, it is not a very sporty car now, is it?

Edited by snowflake

180 kph, impressive , wasn't sure how fast these small cars can go and what is ok for the engine, I will probably let the engine settle in a few months before going faster than 140 kph

Maybe I am not used to driving a small, light cars that's why at higher speeds I felt it was a bit twitchy. Or maybe I should look into changing the wheels as you have done. Its nice you have choice of 91 or 95 gasoline, since 95 recently went down in price :o

we drive the AT (SRS) 'Black '

Thanks for the info.

Devil