Air Conned Ditioned And My Goose Was Not Cooked

distortedlink

Four years ago I purchased an air conditioning unit for 13500 baht at Niyom Panich in Chiang Mai.

The model is a, Samsung ASK09G8VE.

This model came in two types, the 12000btu and the 9000btu. Was advised by the salesman to purchase the 9000btu which is less powerful than the 12000btu and will save on electric bills, plus would be more than adequate for our bedroom that was only 3 square metres, and no point in going for the more powerful 12000btu.

Once installed in my home the unit did not cool down the air sufficient enough, not even when the thing was set at full blast, just a slight improvement to having a large fan. No one was going to suffer from hypothermia with that unit.

I complained to Niyom Panich several times, they visited my home several times, fiddled about, but no improvement. Than we moved, had the unit installed into the new house and still the same.

Last week I called out another so called fitter from Niyom Panich after water began leaking out the unit directly into our room. I asked the fitter, why doesn't the unit blow up sufficient cold air. Than he dropped the bomb shell, the fitter said, although in the manual it quotes that the unit can be set from 18c down to 30c and also has these settings on the remote control, the unit will only go up to 25c maximum, so no matter how much I try to make the thing blow colder, it wont work. Also he said, it's various control settings, standard, regular, nature and power, are really just for show and are virtual useless on this model.

So this unit doesn't blow, but sucks, big time.

Now I am left with a big load of useless impressive looking junk hanging on the wall, that is only suitable for possibly the cooling of a toilet room about one square metre.

Another cock up made on my part. At the same time I purchased the air conditioning unit from Niyom Panich, also bought a gas cooker with an apparent built in oven. Looks most impressive, the oven has a partly see through glass door, with racks and a large gas burner inside. About a year later my friend and I decided to roast a joint of beef in the oven. We were quite excited and prepared to go out and buy the beef, spuds and veggies. Couldn't wait to get started. Than I noticed that inside of the oven had only partial covering to the back of it, the same for the floor of the oven. So we quickly came to realise that this was not a true oven because we could see the wall and the floor from inside it.

The cooker model is a, Whirlpool WGR-30J. Cost 5900 baht.

I have no complaints against Niyom Panich, probably their sales staff didn't have enough experience to know about these things either and I'm not excusing myself because I didn`t check the product carefully enough when I was in the store. This is only as an advisory that will maybe save others from losing a few thousand baht by buying a load of useless junk and making the same mistakes that I did.

Edited by distortedlink

Four years ago I purchased an air conditioning unit for 13500 baht at Niyom Panich in Chiang Mai.

The model is a, Samsung ASK09G8VE.

This model came in two types, the 12000btu and the 9000btu. Was advised by the salesman to purchase the 9000btu which is less powerful than the 12000btu and will save on electric bills, plus would be more than adequate for our bedroom that was only 3 square metres, and no point in going for the more powerful 12000btu.

Once installed in my home the unit did not cool down the air sufficient enough, not even when the thing was set at full blast, just a slight improvement to having a large fan. No one was going to suffer from hypothermia with that unit.

I complained to Niyom Panich several times, they visited my home several times, fiddled about, but no improvement. Than we moved, had the unit installed into the new house and still the same.

Last week I called out another so called fitter from Niyom Panich after water began leaking out the unit directly into our room. I asked the fitter, why doesn't the unit blow up sufficient cold air. Than he dropped the bomb shell, the fitter said, although in the manual it quotes that the unit can be set from 18c down to 30c and also has these settings on the remote control, the unit will only go up to 25c maximum, so no matter how much I try to make the thing blow colder, it wont work. Also he said, it's various control settings, standard, regular, nature and power, are really just for show and are virtual useless on this model.

So this unit doesn't blow, but sucks, big time.

Now I am left with a big load of useless impressive looking junk hanging on the wall, that is only suitable for possibly the cooling of a toilet room about one square metre.

Another cock up made on my part. At the same time I purchased the air conditioning unit from Niyom Panich, also bought a gas cooker with an apparent built in oven. Looks most impressive, the oven has a partly see through glass door, with racks and a large gas burner inside. About a year later my friend and I decided to roast a joint of beef in the oven. We were quite excited and prepared to go out and buy the beef, spuds and veggies. Couldn't wait to get started. Than I noticed that inside of the oven had only partial covering to the back of it, the same for the floor of the oven. So we quickly came to realise that this was not a true oven because we could see the wall and the floor from inside it.

The cooker model is a, Whirlpool WGR-30J. Cost 5900 baht.

I have no complaints against Niyom Panich, probably their sales staff didn't have enough experience to know about these things either and I'm not excusing myself because I didn`t check the product carefully enough when I was in the store. This is only as an advisory that will maybe save others from losing a few thousand baht by buying a load of useless junk and making the same mistakes that I did.

I had the same problem, I bought the wrong size unit (well I thought it was the correct size) and for a few thousand Baht our regular aircon guy upgraded something in the unit, I have no idea what and the thing blows cold air like a fridge. I know it totally wrecks any warranty but this has been going strong for about 3 years now. It might me worth asking around to see if that can be done instead of replace the whole unit.

I am moving this topic about a bedroom of 3 square metres to the Chiangmai forum.

--

Maestro

:o I misread the 3 square metres lol, Thats a rather small room.

I'm guessing that the OP ia an Aussie. In Aus when talking about the size of a property they talk about squares, eg. 1 square = 100 square feet. So if his room is 3 squares then it would be 300 square feet or 28M2 (approx.)

Cheers...

... Than he dropped the bomb shell, the fitter said, although in the manual it quotes that the unit can be set from 18c down to 30c and also has these settings on the remote control, the unit will only go up to 25c maximum...

I don't believe it - sounds like BS to me.

... Than he dropped the bomb shell, the fitter said, although in the manual it quotes that the unit can be set from 18c down to 30c and also has these settings on the remote control, the unit will only go up to 25c maximum...

I don't believe it - sounds like BS to me.

not "sound" but it IS bullsh*t² !

Edited by Naam

distorted link, I am not going to say that anything is BS. But I know those remotes will chill some rooms down to 21, maybe lower (if you have a powerful air con unit in the right size room, etc.). Also, 25 is about right for a room temp, although the remote might say 25 when the room is really 27.

I doubt the average salesman (and Niyom Panich is one of the biggest appliance dealers in northern Thailand) is proficient at calculating how many BTU's you need, esp. if you describe the dimensions of the room in foreign units.

Four years ago DL air conditioned a 3 square meter bedroom and is complaining about it now. And he says "the unit will only go up to 25c maximum, so no matter how much I try to make the thing blow colder, it wont work." So he wants to set it higher than 25c to make it colder. Suan Prung might be able to help him.

I bought a fan for the department store in airport plaza and it exploded. No jokes, the blades flew off and little shards of plastic flew all over the room. Only about 2 months old, never heard of such a thing. My wife was skrewing at me for coming home late mow mak an i joked it was her extreem negative energy output that caused it. any one else had this happen?

"3 square meter bedroom"

you probably don't know what you are talking about. Or you don't know about the metric system.

A 3 square meter room has about the size of 2,0m x 1,4m. That's more or less the size of a small bed or a closet. But certainly never the space of a bedroom.

...esp. if you describe the dimensions of the room in foreign units.

Just wondering: does "foreign unit" refer to square metres? I thought the metric system was introduced to make these things easier (I could be wrong). :o Possibly the salesman in question would have prefered the dimensions to be specified in keub (0.25 m). As everyone knows, one keub is twelve niaw, half a sawk, or one eighth wah.

By the way: A 3 sqm bedroom is squarely in the Hobbit department. I have never seen one, except in Middle earth.

Cheers, CMX

I bought a fan for the department store in airport plaza and it exploded. No jokes, the blades flew off and little shards of plastic flew all over the room. Only about 2 months old, never heard of such a thing. My wife was skrewing at me for coming home late mow mak an i joked it was her extreem negative energy output that caused it. any one else had this happen?

Yeah it happened to me too. Just need to tighten the knob that held the turning blades.

Are we talking about a heater or an airco (18 going up to 30)

Definitely an aircon - when it's 35ºC outside, an airconned room at 30º feels nice and cool.

But Klingons need it much cooler. :o

Are we talking about a heater or an airco (18 going up to 30)

Definitely an aircon - when it's 35ºC outside, an airconned room at 30º feels nice and cool.

But Klingons need it much cooler. :D

Klingons are quite comfortable at a temperature of 26.5ºC and 55% relative humidity. in rare cases such as after a consumption of a whole bottle of bloodwine they prefer it one degree cooler :o

Yeah it happened to me too. Just need to tighten the knob that held the turning blades.

"held" being the oprative word as its now in little peices, but thanks for the info, i'll be sure to tighten any future knobs on a regular basis. :o

Had a 9 btu unit as well, worked well in a shophouse besroom but couldn't handle the heat in a house. So stuck it in a smaller room and got a new huge unit for the bedroom, that thing would take on a sun flare.

An oven for 5,000 baht? Not really surprised about that either.

When buying appliances that should last many years, sometimes a few more baht is insignificant to get the job done right, whereas a cheapo can well cost you more in the long term.