List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

How about a list of unfavorite retaurants?

I went for lunch recently at the newly opened Burnt Tortillo on the main road in Bang Tao across from Tesco Express. The young woman behind the counter couldn't stop stroking her apparently brand new, very long hair extensions right above the salsa , etc. condiment service tray.

After watching her new hair actually dipping and repeatedly brushing onto the food she was fixing, I walked out.

After that I went to the neighboring Wine Connection deli bakery where the usual competent staff looks to have been replaced.

The clerk , who was picking at her nose when I entered used her freshly booger'd up fingers to pick up the bread I chose.

I walked out.

Disgusting.

Edited by TigerWan

After that I went to the neighboring Wine Connection deli bakery where the usual competent staff looks to have been replaced.

The clerk , who was picking at her nose when I entered used her freshly booger'd up fingers to pick up the bread I chose.

I walked out.

Disgusting.

Saved you money on cheese................

I went for lunch recently at the newly opened Burnt Tortillo on the main road in Bang Tao across from Tesco Express. The young woman behind the counter couldn't stop stroking her apparently brand new, very long hair extensions right above the salsa , etc. condiment service tray.

After watching her new hair actually dipping and repeatedly brushing onto the food she was fixing, I walked out.

I walked out.

Disgusting.

Ive eaten here a couple of times and found that the food has been quite good if not a bit over priced. Didnt personally notice any hygeine issues on the dates I visited.

• 2 weeks later...

:DThe Islander is great for British and Thai food and Nickys Handlebar Bikers Restaurant is also excellent with a great selection and Bangla Steak House for superb steaks and Thai food also off Bangla Road . :)

QUOTE (TigerWan @ 2010-05-18 12:13:01) How about a list of unfavorite retaurants?

I walked out.

Disgusting.

Ive eaten here a number of times and found that the food has been quite good if ok a bit over priced. Didnt personally notice any hygeine issues on the dates I visited.

I agree I have eaten at the burnt Tortlla several times and whist not cheap I would say not expensive either and the food is very good.

Everyone needs to try Kan Eang at Chalong Pier's new restaurant called VSET Extraordinary. Same location

Granted a bit expensive but the chef, Ronnie, used to be the chef at Salabua and has to be one of the best chefs on the island.

As the name of the restaurant attests, truly extraordinary food, potatoes au gratin to kill for.

Bon apetit!

In regards to the post about La Chaumiere in Rawai...it's actually in Nai Harn...I have to strongly disagree that it's a great location. A few Saturday nights ago a party of 3 of us went there. We were the only patrons both when we arrived and left. Two of us ordered Thai food and one ordered a pork chop with mustard and mashed potatoes. It took us an hour and 20 minutes to get our food! Even then, the food was mediocre. The service was awful. The Thai waitress was extremely lazy when it came to topping up our drink orders and the owner was sitting at the bar getting pissed. Not once did he come over and comment in regards to the food, etc. Would definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone, and will definitely not go again.

In regards to the post about Rum Jungle...the food/ambience is fabulous and in my opinion not so pricey for the quality that you get. The wait staff there are really attentive, too. Definitely recommended.

Recently tried the Tex Mex place in Chalong...forgot the name, but near Land & House and next to Da Sandro Italian Restaurant. Definitely one of the best Tex Mex places on the island, and would go again for TAKE AWAY. The ambience of the place sucks...lots of bar girls and drunk old men looking for a good time, it's a "sports bar" and the volume on the TV was way too loud even for that sort of place. The chicken quesadillas come highly recommended.

Has anyone tried the new Tex Mex place on Sai Yuan road? It's near the short cut/turn off to the Rawai Muay Thai gym. Let me know how it is...thanks!

>>Has anyone tried the new Tex Mex place on Sai Yuan road? It's near the short cut/turn off to the Rawai Muay Thai gym. Let me know how it is...thanks!

It's actually owned and run by Don's ex. It's pretty much a Don's lite as the menu is about the same as Don's just not as extensive. If you closed your eyes and tasted the food, you would think you were at Don's, for better or for worse, depending on how you felt about Don's food.

I always liked Don's, especially the old place, so it is good to see that the restaurant is almost back to where it started.

But I fail to see the connection with the food and Tex-Mex.

In regards to the post about La Chaumiere in Rawai...it's actually in Nai Harn...I have to strongly disagree that it's a great location. A few Saturday nights ago a party of 3 of us went there. We were the only patrons both when we arrived and left. Two of us ordered Thai food and one ordered a pork chop with mustard and mashed potatoes. It took us an hour and 20 minutes to get our food! Even then, the food was mediocre. The service was awful. The Thai waitress was extremely lazy when it came to topping up our drink orders and the owner was sitting at the bar getting pissed. Not once did he come over and comment in regards to the food, etc. Would definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone, and will definitely not go again.

Totally agree. I was in Chaumiere and I was the only customer. Food simple terrible, lazy service. Sure not to go again.

Recently tried the Tex Mex place in Chalong...forgot the name, but near Land & House and next to Da Sandro Italian Restaurant.

Is this place on one of the Chao Fah roads? If so, is Chao Fah East, or, Chao Fah West. Or, is it on the road to Chalong Pier?

Recently tried the Tex Mex place in Chalong...forgot the name, but near Land & House and next to Da Sandro Italian Restaurant.

Is this place on one of the Chao Fah roads? If so, is Chao Fah East, or, Chao Fah West. Or, is it on the road to Chalong Pier?

Hi

East rd never been there but i did try the Italian one, dont think that was good at all.

Karen Bravo, i know that one :)

Hi

East rd never been there but i did try the Italian one, dont think that was good at all.

Karen Bravo, i know that one :)

I have friends who are very much into Italian food said the Italian on Chao Fa East was really good for the price although they still prefer Ellis in Rawai (which I really like despite the parking & it being a little pokey) & Giantano?? in Phuket Town. Is the Tex Mex open during the day as it might be quieter then?

Edited by Valentine

the tex mex on chao fa east opens at 4:00, i think.

i haven't tried the italian. i was told it was decent.

ellis is a good bet. modena pizza on sai yuan road has really good pizza for a really cheap price...you'd never know it as there is never anyone in there.

thinking to try the new tex mex in nai harn (the one that don's ex has opened) on the weekend...it's near my house and it's been full of customers since it opened.

I have friends who are very much into Italian food said the Italian on Chao Fa East was really good for the price although they still prefer Ellis in Rawai (which I really like despite the parking & it being a little pokey) & Giantano?? in Phuket Town. Is the Tex Mex open during the day as it might be quieter then?

Hi

Maybe you mean La Gaetana in Phuket town? going there tonight looking forward to see him open a bootle of vine (take around 15 min)

BTW the Italian nex to tex mex on East rd dont have pizza.

• 2 weeks later...

ellis is a good bet. modena pizza on sai yuan road has really good pizza for a really cheap price...you'd never know it as there is never anyone in there.

thinking to try the new tex mex in nai harn (the one that don's ex has opened) on the weekend...it's near my house and it's been full of customers since it opened.

Have you tired it yet? A friend went and said it was awful. Just wondering what you though. I started making my own Mexican food at home, including the salsa and refried beans, although I can't find pinto beans. I use black beans.

What's modena's pizza like? I mean the crust. Thin, medium, crunchy or chewy?

Have you tired it yet? A friend went and said it was awful. Just wondering what you though. I started making my own Mexican food at home, including the salsa and refried beans, although I can't find pinto beans. I use black beans.

Tinned pinto beans at Villamart.

I still love the tacos at Bluefin, Kata.

I started making my own Mexican food at home, including the salsa and refried beans, although I can't find pinto beans. I use black beans.

I buy pinto beans (in packet) at the Deli Supermarket in Patong (Rat-u-tit/Song Roi Pee).

Thanks! If I am ever in Patong, I will stop by there. I haven't been to the Deli there in years. They do have some good things there as I remember. I used to live in Patong five years ago. I used to see them at Prom Pan, but I don't anymore.

no, i haven't tried it yet. it is still full of customers every time i drive by, i've just been busy at work! i prefer to make my own mexican food at home as well. i have been able to find the basic necessities at villa market and usually improvise at the market from there. i use black beans, too...i've been here for 3 years and have not been able to find pinto beans, either.

modena's pizza crust is medium, and it's right in between crunch and chewy. i ate there last night with two thai friends...had a sausage and artichoke pizza which was very tasty. surprisingly, last night, modena pizza was filled with customers. first time i have seen that since it opened.

and now, for three more places i'd like to add to this ever-growing list!!!

a spoonful of sugar bakery in nai harn located on the same road but the opposite side of davinci's italian restaurant. the place is so cute! and the owner is a real sweetie with great english. she has an extensive list of various coffee drinks and tea, and divine pastries and goodies in the glass case. she's open til 8pm everyday except monday. i've been here many a saturday morning for iced mochas and blondie brownies!

lao-inter thai food restaurant. it's located across from where don's mall used to be. p'lek used to have this restaurant in front of my house...it's been in its current location since 1 april 2010. without a doubt, the best thai food, and perhaps the cheapest, on sai yuan road. the menu is extensive and p'lek will make your "special requests" if she isn't too busy. the new restaurant is clean and comfy and the family is really lovely. miss having this place in front of my house as it was so convenient!

abihol market ( i hope i spelled that right) is a german bakery with strange hours that is located on the sai yuan turn from the road leading to rawai. (is it viset rd--idk!) it's just before the stoplight on the right hand side, behind the new little bus stop pavilion where the motorbike taxi drivers sit in the morning and next to a phone shop. if you stood in the parking lot of this place, 7-11 would be to your left. the place has great bread, a decent-sized menu, nice cheese and a freezer case filled with deli meats, etc. the apple streudel on the menu is to die for, as is the pepperoni bread. the thais who work here don't speak much english, so be patient with them and point at the menu. i have found that whenever i've had to wait for a take away order, they put a free pastry or bread in the bag as an "apology".

just a few recommendations :D if any of you try these places out, let me know what you think :D

I started making my own Mexican food at home, including the salsa and refried beans, although I can't find pinto beans. I use black beans.

I buy pinto beans (in packet) at the Deli Supermarket in Patong (Rat-u-tit/Song Roi Pee).

Thanks! If I am ever in Patong, I will stop by there. I haven't been to the Deli there in years. They do have some good things there as I remember. I used to live in Patong five years ago. I used to see them at Prom Pan, but I don't anymore.

Just found dried pinto beans in Villamarket. They are hard to find as they are near cleaning products.

• Like 1

Just found dried pinto beans in Villamarket. They are hard to find as they are near cleaning products.

LOL! Thanks. That would be the last place I would have looked! I only buy certain things at Villa, as they are more expensive for many products, like cleaning products than Tesco or Big C.