List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

So, the wife had to visit one of her customers today up at Mai Khao beach today (the Marriott). Having been promised lunch somewhere, and as I don't get up to that area very often, I went along for some sightseeing.

The turn off for the Marriott (and several other hotels such as the Anantara and Renaissance must be the last on the left before you get the the Police checkpoint just before Sarasin Bridge. The road seems to end at the Renaissance, and there are a couple of beach restaurants in what is a very quiet area.

For no reason in particular, we chose Krua Rim Lay, which must have a dozen or so outside tables scattered around, with some being small salas with thatched roofs, and the ones nearest the beach having the canopy of ancient pine trees providing dappled shade. Claustrophobia isn't going to give anyone a problem, as each table must be at least 10 metres apart.

We ordered quite quickly, the wife having what turned out to be an excellent prawn salad in which you could really taste the lemongrass, ginger and lime. This she had with plain steamed rice. My choice was prawns in tamarind sauce (prawns were very large, plentiful and beautifully cooked, and in a quite delicate sauce with lots of vegetables. This I had with a seafood fried rice, again with generous inclusions of prawns and squid, and very fresh tasting.

Overall a very pleasant surprise for somewhere quite off the beaten track, and a place that must depend heavily on the surrounding hotel guests as clientele. It's definitely not a 'fast food' place, with our one course taking about 40 minutes (or one and a half small Singha's - all beers 60 baht) but that wasn't a hardship in such peaceful surroundings. Certainly everything that we had was of high quality, particularly in relation to what was a very inexpensive cost.

One thing that I did notice, is that the beach seems to be quite steeply sloping at the tide line. A couple who were swimming only a couple of metres from shore were up to shoulder depth, so might not be a recommended location for small children.

Photos of surroundings and food. Click on them to enlarge.

post-62520-0-44150900-1327492309_thumb.j

post-62520-0-13649600-1327492352_thumb.j

post-62520-0-79501400-1327492380_thumb.j

post-62520-0-10270400-1327492406_thumb.j

post-62520-0-14606000-1327492446_thumb.j

post-62520-0-71289700-1327492474_thumb.j

post-62520-0-93759600-1327492500_thumb.j

post-62520-0-21789400-1327492521_thumb.j

post-62520-0-67153900-1327492547_thumb.j

post-62520-0-18441300-1327492564_thumb.j

post-62520-0-56525600-1327492588_thumb.j

post-62520-0-21567700-1327492619_thumb.j

post-62520-0-24618900-1327492647_thumb.j

tried another new place in nai harn/rawai last night...the short cut from sai yuan to viset road (same road rawai muay thai is on) has a new restaurant called "hang around" or "hang out"...something like that. the place is pretty trendy; decorated really ecletically, really nice music on the stereo, cute little sweets bakery and the waiters wear little sarongs as their uniform. for the ambience, it's quite nice. the food menu is decent...mixture of western and thai food...but it's expensive. i went with a friend and we both ordered fancy, foo foo cocktails plus spring rolls and a greek salad. greek salad and spring rolls both contained shrimp (i'm allergic to shellfish), so i ordered wontons instead. my friend said the food shrimp-filled food was lush. my wontons were nice and so was my cocktail. upon leaving, was given two 100 THB vouchers to use before 15-feb-12. i'll go back. cute place, but wondering how long it will actually last as it seems that nothing too innovative lasts in the nai harn neighborhood for long...anyone else been there and have any comments?

Tried the Lebanese in Sai Yuan yesterday. Good portions, good quality, prices ok as well. Much more middle eastern food than Adam's Kebab.

Does not look very nice and I would not recommend eating there, but good for take away.

tried another new place in nai harn/rawai last night...the short cut from sai yuan to viset road (same road rawai muay thai is on) has a new restaurant called "hang around" or "hang out"...something like that. the place is pretty trendy; decorated really ecletically, really nice music on the stereo, cute little sweets bakery and the waiters wear little sarongs as their uniform. for the ambience, it's quite nice. the food menu is decent...mixture of western and thai food...but it's expensive. i went with a friend and we both ordered fancy, foo foo cocktails plus spring rolls and a greek salad. greek salad and spring rolls both contained shrimp (i'm allergic to shellfish), so i ordered wontons instead. my friend said the food shrimp-filled food was lush. my wontons were nice and so was my cocktail. upon leaving, was given two 100 THB vouchers to use before 15-feb-12. i'll go back. cute place, but wondering how long it will actually last as it seems that nothing too innovative lasts in the nai harn neighborhood for long...anyone else been there and have any comments?

Thanks for that Amyb.

I've been riding by that place regularly and wondering. A fellow TV poster and I were discussing how those people think they are going to make it on that road? off the beaten track, usually a short cut for charging cement trucks, not so much traffic that you would have on Viset or Sai Yuan for exposure. Unless there are deep pockets, I don't see it making it through low season.

Foo-foo drinks, really? You always have struck me as a whiskey and water gal ;-) cheers GOM

Thanks for that Amyb.

I've been riding by that place regularly and wondering. A fellow TV poster and I were discussing how those people think they are going to make it on that road? off the beaten track, usually a short cut for charging cement trucks, not so much traffic that you would have on Viset or Sai Yuan for exposure. Unless there are deep pockets, I don't see it making it through low season.

Foo-foo drinks, really? You always have struck me as a whiskey and water gal ;-) cheers GOM

i am a whiskey and water gal, GOM, but do enjoy a foo foo cocktail every now and again :-)

Tried the Lebanese in Sai Yuan yesterday. Good portions, good quality, prices ok as well. Much more middle eastern food than Adam's Kebab.

Does not look very nice and I would not recommend eating there, but good for take away.

I have yet to get there...hoping later this week or Friday...I saw that it didn't look too nice in the inside, but might be worth a sit to smoke some sheesha!

Wife finished work a little bit earlier than usual, so the option of an early seafood supper was very much on the cards today. We'd remembered recently seeing a new restaurant in the Palai area, so thought we'd give it a go.

If you drive past the Zoo heading towards Palai Seafood, then take the last turning on the left, you continue for a few hundred metres. Passing some other restaurants, and a few very rural looking shacks, a signposted track to the right leads you another hundred metres or so to the car park of Lom Tha Lay Seafood.

I believe it's only been in operation for a couple of months, but they've made a good effort in landscaping the place already, with several defined dining areas, including a raised one under cover, some around a couple of water features, and then the tables nearest to the nicely made walkway next to the beach. There are even some VIP Salas, but I believe these are permanently reserved for HI-So and Tuk-Tuk drivers (joke).

Early evening around sunset is a great time to enjoy food next to the sea, and this was no different. M'Sahib pleaded to being no very hungry, though she did a good effort with some fish balls (very much a Phuket favourite), some excellent and obviously home made prawn cakes, and an unusual Jellyfish salad (didn't sting at all).

I enjoy trying similar dishes, then you can really make a comparison of cooking styles and skill. Hence my choice of Prawns in Tamarind again, which this time came with quite a rich sauce, and chunky vegetables which helped offset the sweetness of the sauce. A fine pineapple fried rice with seafood helped the prawns be digested, and the one disappointment of the meal was that my anticipated double espresso and brandy to finish it off didn't materialise due to their only having sachet Nescafe coffee (cringe).

A few photos of the surroundings and food, click on one to enlarge.

post-62520-0-61364800-1328101161_thumb.j

post-62520-0-65057500-1328101177_thumb.j

post-62520-0-81736700-1328101193_thumb.j

post-62520-0-60051400-1328101206_thumb.j

post-62520-0-95849000-1328101223_thumb.j

post-62520-0-68128400-1328101238_thumb.j

post-62520-0-74583200-1328101254_thumb.j

post-62520-0-25976800-1328101268_thumb.j

post-62520-0-86359600-1328101284_thumb.j

post-62520-0-73696800-1328101298_thumb.j

post-62520-0-60480300-1328101311_thumb.j

post-62520-0-53380800-1328101327_thumb.j

post-62520-0-11344900-1328101343_thumb.j

post-62520-0-06800200-1328101358_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80748800-1328101372_thumb.j

post-62520-0-06844900-1328101390_thumb.j

I had a pizza at Modena the other night. It was as good as those from MM but I thought slightly more expensive. Ambience sucks & I was the only one dining around 7 to 7.30. Afterwards I drove through to Rawai & back to Chalong where I noticed very few restaurants were doing well whilst the majority, including bars, had virtually no customers. It seems like Nai Harn is over saturated. I did see a kebab place in Rawai almost opposite SCB on Wichit Rd & wonder if anyone has a report on it. My budget for eating out is fairly limited so I prefer to go to the tried & true but will stray based on a good recommendation.

I had a pizza at Modena the other night. It was as good as those from MM but I thought slightly more expensive. Ambience sucks & I was the only one dining around 7 to 7.30. Afterwards I drove through to Rawai & back to Chalong where I noticed very few restaurants were doing well whilst the majority, including bars, had virtually no customers. It seems like Nai Harn is over saturated. I did see a kebab place in Rawai almost opposite SCB on Wichit Rd & wonder if anyone has a report on it. My budget for eating out is fairly limited so I prefer to go to the tried & true but will stray based on a good recommendation.

Valentine, Modena is hit or miss with customers. You are correct-not the best ambience, but the pizzas ARE cheaper than M&M's and the man and woman running Modena are much nicer than the majority of the staff at M&M's. Nai Harn is over saturated, but isn't all of Phuket?

The kebab place across from SCP on Viset Road used to be an Indian place...haven't been there, but heard that the same guy is running it. When it was an Indian restaurant, it was never busy...the food was nice, but the guy was the only one working and service was very slow.

Valentine, Modena is hit or miss with customers. You are correct-not the best ambience, but the pizzas ARE cheaper than M&M's and the man and woman running Modena are much nicer than the majority of the staff at M&M's. Nai Harn is over saturated, but isn't all of Phuket?

The kebab place across from SCP on Viset Road used to be an Indian place...haven't been there, but heard that the same guy is running it. When it was an Indian restaurant, it was never busy...the food was nice, but the guy was the only one working and service was very slow.

Have not been to MMs for over a month but the staff have always been friendly, to me anyway. However, with the high season it was packed & parking was chaos but even in low season I try & get there by 6 when they open. Seems like there are good kebabs in Jungceylon but I would not go there unless I had to go to Patong for something else.

I recently did all the phuket town sea food places including PakNam and Laem Him.

Cant stress enough how Thalaythong is 75% cheaper on a lot of plates and they taste even better. Also NEVER any mai mi.

Laem Him is getting sadder by the year, they cant even make squid with cury anymore. The cury is a tasteless liquid with no eggs and overcooked squid. They even went as far as putting their Raw oysters at 50baht(maiiii me) when thalay is 40baht, always available. just fyi, farmers sell their oysters for 7-15baht a pop to restaurants.

I recently did all the phuket town sea food places including PakNam and Laem Him.

Cant stress enough how Thalaythong is 75% cheaper on a lot of plates and they taste even better. Also NEVER any mai mi.

Laem Him is getting sadder by the year, they cant even make squid with cury anymore. The cury is a tasteless liquid with no eggs and overcooked squid. They even went as far as putting their Raw oysters at 50baht(maiiii me) when thalay is 40baht, always available. just fyi, farmers sell their oysters for 7-15baht a pop to restaurants.

Personaly I think that Laem Hin is the better option, but each to their own. Everyone I have ever taken there has been impressed.

Thanks for that Amyb.

I pass by that place every day at least twice. The only people hanging 'round are the staff, it looks dead all the time. Looks like they won't even make it through high season.

I d like to try this Thalaythong, where is it, how do I find it?

airport road toward ptown, after shell station and just before the temple/laemhim hill it's a green sign with yellow or white lettering on a small soi.

Then that small soi will bring you to the seafront restaurant.

According to the menu, they have one in Surin or Thalang as well.

Edited by thaiIand

airport road toward ptown, after shell station and just before the temple/laemhim hill it's a green sign with yellow or white lettering on a small soi.

Then that small soi will bring you to the seafront restaurant.

According to the menu, they have one in Surin or Thalang as well.

thanks, will try it

Directions to Thalay Tong Seafood:

Drive to the end of Bypass Road and turn right at Toyota (towards Phuket Town.)

From Toyota, drive for 1.7 kms and turn left just after the Shell petrol station and just before a large red and white chequered wall. From here, drive for 0.4kms and turn right into Thalay Tong Seafood.

Went to the IBAP meeting held inside at Urban Food, Central last night. They turned on a pretty decent buffet spread. I must say the presentation of the food going to the diners outside looked impressive. I perused the menu there a few weeks back & looked a tad expensive for me but may treat myself & partner one day to try the a la carte menu.

Went to the IBAP meeting held inside at Urban Food, Central last night. They turned on a pretty decent buffet spread. I must say the presentation of the food going to the diners outside looked impressive. I perused the menu there a few weeks back & looked a tad expensive for me but may treat myself & partner one day to try the a la carte menu.

We went to Urban food a few times and it is indeed not to bad.

The only complaint i have is that a lot of the western dishes are to greasy for me.

I was very disappointed by the food at the rather busy seafood restaurant in Rawai behind the Or Bor Tor's office. I had a great meal there Saturday night when there was a man cooking, tonight it was all women in the kitchen and it was just bad! I know the name, but I know I can't name and shame on this forum. I've been there three times recently and only one time was it good. I won't be back...

I pass by that place every day at least twice. The only people hanging 'round are the staff, it looks dead all the time. Looks like they won't even make it through high season.

i've ridden by every night since friday and there've been people there. i went back again, and had a decent meal. it's a cute hangout place if nothing more, and i do hope it survives...it's a nice contrast to most of the sh*t going up in saiyuan.

a few questions guys, whats mai mi, whats a soi

and

any good indian places in phuket? more leaning towards north indian/punjabi food? any reccomendations though are welcome

mai mee - means that something isn't available

soi - means street

not much good indian food in phuket, in my opinion. there's mister india near chalong pier and kanasutra in phuket town. haven't had indian in patong, so possibly someone else on the forum can help you there...

a few questions guys, whats mai mi, whats a soi

and

any good indian places in phuket? more leaning towards north indian/punjabi food? any reccomendations though are welcome

mai mee - means that something isn't available

soi - means street

not much good indian food in phuket, in my opinion. there's mister india near chalong pier and kanasutra in phuket town. haven't had indian in patong, so possibly someone else on the forum can help you there...

K. Amyb pood thai geng mak !! Ha, ha,

Indian food in Phuket is terribly marginal and waayyy overpriced. How can it be so expensive, the ingredients are here, no?

Is Kamasutra still open? I was by there about a month and a half ago and could've sworn it was closed up. Again, marginal food but the owner Billy is some kind of Phuket character, thats for sure !!! Billy if you see this, "what's up mate"?

Has anyone eaten at the restaurant called "Vietnamese Food - Pho"? It's located on the road that connects the Chao Fa's...I am sorry I don't know the name, but it's the same road that PAWS is on. If you've eaten there, let me know how it is.