Help A Newcomer To Cm!

robster125

Hey everyone!

Im new to CM and was looking for:

A cheap, but decent tailor for shirts and pants.

Where to buy good XXL Lanna shirt

Where is a good bookstore for teaching ESL to adults

Is there a good comprehensive map of CM online (car4, tesco, cinema, theater, other entertainments, etc)

Thanks for anyone that can help!

Go to our fine sponsor...Gecko books. There you can either buy the maps and books and the owner will give you the shirt off his back, and he knows more tailors than a typical East Indian silk salesman

Thanks for the nice words bunta71, but we don't carry a lot of books on teaching ESL at Gecko Books.

I find that teachers usually try to dump the books they don't want and keep the good ones. I recomend people mostly avoid buying 2nd hand ESL books for this reason.

Both Suriwong Books and DK books have huge ESL sections with all the best titles. That is where I would go! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hey everyone!

Is there a good comprehensive map of CM online (car4, tesco, cinema, theater, other entertainments, etc)

Cheap "but" decent which do you want ?? If you had written reasonable but decent one could direct you to Neramit Tailors.

And if you are in Chiangmai why don't you go into a bookstore and buy a map. They have plenty of them.

Hey everyone!

1. Tailor: Find The Montri Hotel at Thapae Gate, go down the soi right behind it and about 50 metres on the right you'll find several tailors. The last one on the right has done good work for me a couple of times. Price for a pair of jeans or trousers about 700 baht and they've lasted well.
  2. In the night market, the covered part on the right as you walk towards Pantip where they don't get so many customers and will bargain more agreeably. 100 - 200 baht.
  3. Bookstore (if Gecko doesn't have what you need) DK Books on Kotchasan Road opposite Mad Dog and Sharky's has a good selection of teaching books.
  4. Don't know about online but the best map I've found is The Big Map which I've got a feeling Gecko does keep in stock. They've also got an online database that'll return the map reference for something you're trying to find (although I've never actually used that facility). Email them at findermap at yahoo dot com.

[*]Don't know about online but the best map I've found is The Big Map which I've got a feeling Gecko does keep in stock. They've also got an online database that'll return the map reference for something you're trying to find (although I've never actually used that facility).

Thank you for the recommendation and yes, we do carry The Big Map in every branch of Gecko Books. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I echo Greensides' recommendation:

'Tailor: Find The Montri Hotel at Thapae Gate, go down the soi right behind it and about 50 metres on the right you'll find several tailors. The last one on the right has done good work for me a couple of times. Price for a pair of jeans or trousers about 700 baht and they've lasted well.' Compare all for available material, quality and price: methinks the actual tailoring is done by the same sewing group somewhere else in CMai.

BTW, there is a Northern-style Thai food restaurant handy there which is a gem. Cheers