The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

I use to always tell the tree huggers, use kittens to wipe your butt, there self cleaning, and reusable. Of course once they get older they will rip your nut sack off but hey you're a tree hugger, what do ya really need it for anyways? Doesn't help you eat tofu.

Edited by wade72

Being abusive to staff would constitute doing harm, and as such he is fair game.

Witnessing, as I have done on many occasions, the way farang employers treat Thai staff when they have become exasperated and denounce them as " bloody fools " and all " stupid", I am amused by the excuse you have cited for the mob action currently underway.

If it were valid, then I would have thought that the management of the Oriental would be the appropriate agency to deal and not TV's self appointed manners police.

The pettiness of the OP in his inability to deal personally with his public slight at the hands of the GOM is really quite breathtaking and more so, the willingness of the herd to assist in his vindictiveness.

I thought TV as a board had some kudos in Thailand but this thread perhaps suggests otherwise.

I believe puerile sums it up.

The "mob action" so far has been a maximum of 3 guys, including myself, who have turned up in the morning and sat quietly in his area as individuals. He didn't show. So far the guy is two up. He has no idea that people aim to take his place to monitor his aggression both towards them (in the form of pushing bags, huffing and puffing, loudly stating that area is reserved without talking directly to the person sitting there, slamming down of objects and then complaining to the staff to be heard by all customers) and to customers.

This morning I guess some people showed up, but the chap was there at opening time and sat undisturbed. The mob will not be waiting to stare him out, verbally attack him or beat him with bats when he gets outside. One person will end up taking his place and then others will watch the show that he himself will put on for not getting his own way. Just because several people want to test this theory it doesn't mean they're a bunch of vigilantes taking the law into their own hands.

I think this board does have kudos here for many reasons. A fair few likeminded individuals can see an idiot, an embarrassment to our race here, and quietly show him he's in the wrong...eventually. The people that have turned up so far have all been normal intelligent decent ex-pats, not bored guys out for an argument. This situation will no doubt wear off, but let's see what he does when he realises people don't agree with his attitude first. When given a chance I WILL try and deal personally with this man, but I will wait until he rants first. I have tried calling him over from snorting at the staff (ignored). The next time I will go up to him, not as a yob, but just to ask him why he thinks he can do this. Don't forget it's not just the staff he insults and shames, it's ANY customer in that area too, on ANY given morning.

So this guy has been acting like this for 5 years there, the staff have learnt to just stand there and take it and have only just reported it to their management (from my advice). The management I'm sure will not do anything unless this guy goes one step too far, which he hasn't. The management have basically taken my number to ask me questions about what's going on and have said that they agree that no space can be reserved for anyone - first come first served. And so it continues.

So who's there tomorrow? :o

CarlBKK you are a petty minded vindictive fool who is worse then then the bloke you are harrassing.

Im sure the staff can look after themselves without needing a group of nothing better to do whiteknights to come to their rescue.

A better picture would be one of the pr7ck TV members who bother to go there especially to take a specific seat.

Edited by boiledegg

Egg;

You oviously know nothing about Thai staff and what they are allowed to do. They can't say a word to him except "here's your coffee sir" and "yes sir". If they do anything else they loose there job. Even if it is a crappy job that they hate is is better then the other option, living under the motorway in a tin shack.

Edited by wade72

CarlBKK you are a petty minded vindictive fool who is worse then then the bloke you are harrassing.

Im sure the staff can look after themselves without needing a group of nothing better to do whiteknights to come to their rescue.

A better picture would be one of the pr7ck TV members who bother to go there especially to take a specific seat.

So I take it you're not going to be there tomorrow? :o

I'M the petty one in this?! Your thought-process is certainly unique. No-one is going to harrass the guy by following him and insulting him. Go and sit in his seat and let me know what you did. Smile and move for him?

I'm not sitting in his place in revenge for treating the staff badly when he wouldn't do it at home, I'm doing it because he insulted me and other customers with his behaviour, and so far has remained unchallenged. I placed the story but I didn't put an ad up for reinforcements. Random people can turn up for breakfast on random days and see the result for themselves.

I use to always tell the tree huggers, use kittens to wipe your butt, there self cleaning, and reusable. Of course once they get older they will rip your nut sack off but hey you're a tree hugger, what do ya really need it for anyways? Doesn't help you eat tofu.

um, this is thailand. i use the bum gun, but really how does it relate to this thread?

i used to plant trees in university and i have to admit, i am not entirely immune to your rustic charm. you are certainly adding credibility to the "pro" argument.

keep it up, i think im coming around

um, this is thailand. i use the bum gun, but really how does it relate to this thread?

i used to plant trees in university and i have to admit, i am not entirely immune to your rustic charm. you are certainly adding credibility to the "pro" argument.

keep it up, i think im coming around

Well the apologists are the same ones that were the tree huggers, they forgot that we replanted 10 to 1. Anyways if they were in the café when GOM was thrashing the Thai staff they would be outraged. Since there only target at the moment is the people taking him to task, and I am sorry to say YOUR only outlet, is the people "picking" on the GOM. If the thread was different you would be the one having a go at the GOM, but at the moment you feel he is the underdog so your on his side without a thought for the Thai staff that have to tolerate him on a regular basis and can not do anything about his antics.

Edited by wade72

A fair few likeminded individuals can see an idiot, an embarrassment to our race here, and quietly show him he's in the wrong...

sorry mate, i withdraw all comment. i didnt realize it was a race issue.

your efforts are admirable. even more so if you just take him aside, have a word and be done with it.

i truly question whether or not the staff were more happy with the status quo, but i will have to believe that they appreciate your efforts because you said so.

A fair few likeminded individuals can see an idiot, an embarrassment to our race here, and quietly show him he's in the wrong...

your efforts are admirable. even more so if you just take him aside, have a word and be done with it.

i truly question whether or not the staff were more happy with the status quo, but i will have to believe that they appreciate your efforts because you said so.

It's not a race issue, I'm not teasing him because he's a white man like me, but do you ever have the feeling of shame and feel the need to convince natives that we're not all idiots when you see one guy from your home country behaving as such? Maybe you don't care, or maybe you assume natives don't separate the behaviour or races. If he was black or Singaporean or Japanese nothing would be different here. The fact that I can't see this guy speaking to people in this way in the City, NY cafe or wherever he might work abroad makes me want to challenge him.

On Monday I will take him aside and have a word with him, if he will listen.

The staff thanked me and thanked my wife for trying to help them. They said they have to accept his behaviour because it's their job. They find it amusing that we are teasing him and on their side. They are more worried for us as customes that the guy will get angry in public at us directly. This is of course what they said but I can't read their minds so you're right, there is a chance they may prefer the guy to have his own way and rant occasionally than for people to wind him up with the chance of a rant every day. Who knows. So far it hasn't happened. There is of course a chance that when this guy realises people are onto his aggressive seat-reserving antics, he will be more contented to sit anywhere rather than risk being challenged on every occasion.

Edited by CarlBkk

What am I missing here?

- There is a restaurant that caters to the general public. All are welcome.

- Customers are allowed to sit where they want.

- In this case, some customers sit at a certain location. They order food and just sit there politely, smiling, eating food.

- No threats are uttered, there is no physical intimidation.

- An allegedly hostile and rude fellow that uses the restaurant as his personal "office", monopolizing multiple spaces, is displeased.

And the conclusion is that the customers who have every right to eat at the restaurant are evil???

Earth calling to holier than thou finger waggers: Everyone is deemed to be an "invitee". Unless and until Mr. "CEO" is allocated preferred special status and given a reserved seating area by the operators of the business, Mr. "CEO" is the same as everyone else. If the operators wanted to keep the 100-250baht big spender, they'd make sure he had a special place, but they have not acted to make sure this important fellow has a special seat have they?

This is all about some fellow trying to be the alpha male. Unfortunately, he's about to be neutered. The customers going to this restaurant have done nothing wrong. They have every right to dine at this establishment and sit where they are allowed to sit. That's the issue and it's conveniently ignored by folks that want to attach all sorts of deep meanings, to diagnose the fellow as mentally ill, even though it is most likely he is quite sane. It's the "CEO" that is demonstrating bullying characteristics. Adding scenarios, tossing in stories about mentally ill relatives, lecturers that have ended their lives etc. has no bearing on this specific case.

Carl;

Until he actually eats several children, even then he is probably just misunderstood.

He is now the underdog, so in the world of the liberal bleeding hearts he is the good guy, and you and anyone who supports you is an idiot and should be forced to take there granola eating, pot smoking, seminars. Then maybe, just maybe, you might understand that anyone that the tofu eaters take on there side are right, like Che Guevara the butcher of South America who is to the un-educated, a hero now. I am sure Pol Pot is right up there on there list as well as just a misunderstood person that wanted to better his people.

I think you've summarised what's going on perfectly. Apart from the fact that the place isn't even a restaurant (which can allow reservations)...it's just a glass-walled cafe with no tables, just stools in the windows!

If a poll was carried out from the readers of this thread on who opposes this action and who defends it, it would be slightly disheartening for the 4 or so readers against. You always get some who like to pis_s on the fire for the fun of it :o

So, how much wood can a woodchuck chuck, Chuck?

Edited by OxfordWill

geriatrickid, You have outlined the facts of this situation quite superbly.

Alot of other people have made many statements and suggestions about what could or what should be done about GOC on this thread. Some serious, some tongue in cheek, either way, I feel it's these other statements that have convinced a few people that this is a bullying witch hunt. Thankyou geriatrickid for getting us back to where we should be and reminding us all of the facts on which opinions should be based.

It's not a race issue, I'm not teasing him because he's a white man like me, but do you ever have the feeling of shame and feel the need to convince natives that we're not all idiots when you see one guy from your home country behaving as such? Maybe you don't care, or maybe you assume natives don't separate the behaviour or races. If he was black or Singaporean or Japanese nothing would be different here. The fact that I can't see this guy speaking to people in this way in the City, NY cafe or wherever he might work abroad makes me want to challenge him.

On Monday I will take him aside and have a word with him, if he will listen.

The staff thanked me and thanked my wife for trying to help them. They said they have to accept his behaviour because it's their job. They find it amusing that we are teasing him and on their side. They are more worried for us as customes that the guy will get angry in public at us directly. This is of course what they said but I can't read their minds so you're right, there is a chance they may prefer the guy to have his own way and rant occasionally than for people to wind him up with the chance of a rant every day. Who knows. So far it hasn't happened. There is of course a chance that when this guy realises people are onto his aggressive seat-reserving antics, he will be more contented to sit anywhere rather than risk being challenged on every occasion.

ok, a real reply, so sarcasm is off

carl, i get your point and i thank you for the most entertaining thread TV has ever had. i have been playing devils advocate (read troll if you wish).

people have gone to the emporium to view and (albeit indirectly) engage this man. whether or not he is a <deleted> is, in my opinion, irrelavent. my only concern since this began is the targeting of an individual.

it was inevitable somebody crossed the line and posted a picture, who crosses the next line?

give him shit if you must, but at least allow him some privacy

Edited by t.s

Carl;

Until he actually eats several children, even then he is probably just misunderstood.

I am sure Pol Pot is right up there on there list as well as just a misunderstood person that wanted to better his people.

So someone who is rude is now being compared to someone who committed genocide on a mass scale.

I see wealthy Thais being exceptionally rude to waitress staff and also their own staff, whilst on this crusade be sure to chastise and humiliate them after all race has nothing to do with it. Would you social warriors also stand up to a 30yo, 6ft6 tattoo'd meat head for being rude or is it just old men.

No one agrees with being rude to Thai service staff, but get over it.

geriatrickid, on a previous thread you had a 'holier than thou' rant about not going with bargirls etc., and generally talking like a complete c@nt, but here I am in full agreement with you.

carlbkk, go to it lad, you are dead right.

Carl;

I am sure Pol Pot is right up there on there list as well as just a misunderstood person that wanted to better his people.

So someone who is rude is now being compared to someone who committed genocide on a mass scale.

I see wealthy Thais being exceptionally rude to waitress staff and also their own staff, whilst on this crusade be sure to chastise and humiliate them after all race has nothing to do with it. Would you social warriors also stand up to a 30yo, 6ft6 tattoo'd meat head for being rude or is it just old men.

No one agrees with being rude to Thai service staff, but get over it.

Yes I would and have pulled up Thais for being rude, no different from other nationalities although I'm sure people give them more leeway being in their country with their set of politeness standards: pushing in front of me in the BTS (and I mean REALLY pushing in) and at the ticket office. You can mention your displeasure quietly and that's it. If it works it works. I know other Thais who have pulled up extremely rude older Chinese-Thais for the same reason.

If a 6'6 tattooed meathead was being unfair and rude at length to someone who was looking scared yes I think some people might say something non-antagonistic but enough to slightly shame the person into thinking "shit, I'll leave it there". If the meathead said "hey, that's my seat" in the Oriental cafe no I wouldn't move for him just like I wouldn't move for anyone without a valid reason. I'd laugh it off at first. The chance of a meathead beating the hel_l out of you at 10am in a shopping centre is only slightly higher than a 50-year -old CEO doing so. Self-preservation kicks in if the same happens in a suburban park at 11pm with no-one around though :-)

Your examples were one-offs in random places. My story is about one guy who is consistently and unnecessarily aggressive to staff and any customer at the same spot on a daily basis if he can't have his way. Random customers who happened to be there before him over the last months/years were not antagonising him into this.

geriatrickid, on a previous thread you had a 'holier than thou' rant about not going with bargirls etc., and generally talking like a complete c@nt, but here I am in full agreement with you.

carlbkk, go to it lad, you are dead right.

473 posts on this idiot,wonders will never cease :o

When Oh When will a Mod please close this post ? It's not only embarrassing, but to ridicule a guy and carry on with this whitch hunt is just going too far.

People opening face book pages and counting stools ?

This kind of post is just making a mockery of this site and its just degrading.

Guys, Come on ! Would you be doing this kind of thing back home ?

Lets not lower the TV forum into a gutter or else all posts will start with "Today I saw a guy that I didn't like, Can we all get obsessed like children and pick on him"

Really, I'm shocked that a reputable forum like ThaiVisa and their sponsors like Sunbelt Asia are encouraging this by not closing or deleing the post.

Edited by EmptyMind

Carl;

He is now the underdog, so in the world of the liberal bleeding hearts he is the good guy, and you and anyone who supports you is an idiot and should be forced to take there granola eating, pot smoking, seminars. Then maybe, just maybe, you might understand that anyone that the tofu eaters take on there side are right, like Che Guevara the butcher of South America who is to the un-educated, a hero now. I am sure Pol Pot is right up there on there list as well as just a misunderstood person that wanted to better his people.

archie bunker,

you may be old, you may be senile, or you may be daft.

whatever the answer, i am sure we are not discussing pol pot or che here.

i also reckon you should get over your issues with tofu and granola - one is an excellent source of protein, the other is a brilliant source of fibre.

in any case, you are still amusing, so keep it up.

Edited by t.s

Carl;

archie bunker,

you may be old, you may be senile, or you may be daft.

whatever the answer, i am sure we are not discussing pol pot or che here.

i also reckon you should get over your issues with tofu and granola - one is an excellent source of protein, the other is a brilliant source of fibre.

in any case, you are still amusing, so keep it up.

This is exactly why this post should be closed, People are that angry after reading it thats it's spawning fights between members that should have and would have never happened if this post was closed or deleted at the appropriate time.