Bamboo In The Garden

xerostar

Has anyone had experience using bamboo in landscaping?

I want to use it to hide a concrete garden brick wall - similar to the picture below.

I believe it can continue to spread and become a pest unless the roots are confined by reinforced concrete footings.

I'm not sure what depth they would need to be.

Also what variety of bamboo would be best suited to this purpose?

Cheers

post-18347-1213795819_thumb.jpg

I have about 80 plants around the house planted one meter or so from the wall. They are the small leaf variety.

I prefer looking at them to the ugly houses being constructed outside my wall

Bamboo can be quite invasive, not sure how deep to go, but you'll want a bamboo that spreads by clumping rather than by runners as it is less invasive.

Buddha's Belly Bamboo (called pumpkin bamboo in Thai) is a good bet, it doesn't get hugely tall, isn't a crazily invasive plant and is quite attractive. It does require pruning tho

ericfehr_1145796390_15.jpg

b-v-w.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here Ya Go.Try this site: http://www.booshootgardens.com/ :o

BAMBOO SPECIES Running Bamboo versus Clumping Bamboo

You Have A Choice!

We offer an outstanding selection of both non-invasive and invasive bamboos. Our speciality are the non-invasive bamboos and our selections are as outstanding as they are diverse. On behalf of our dealers we want to make the differences very clear to the consumer. Our plant labels define when a bamboo is clumping (non-invasive) or when a bamboo is running (invasive). Our labels for the clumping bamboos come with the words BAMBOO THAT BEHAVES™. The running bamboos offer clear suggestions for containing the plant. Here we've included photos and a concise definitions for both running and clumping bamboos as well as full descriptions for each of the species we offer.

Running Bamboo versus Clumping Bamboo

Running Bamboos or leptomorphs are characterized by an elongated underground stem called a rhizome. Each year as the bamboo matures the rhizome system spreads farther away from the existing planting in order to absorb more water and nutrients for the grove. The leptomorph rhizome system can spread indefinitely.

VIEW OUR RUNNING BAMBOOS

Clumping Bamboos or pachymorphs also have an underground rhizome system. The pachymorph system is characterized by short, tightly compacted rhizomes. Clumping bamboo may have an open habit or may be very dense depending on the particular species. In both cases, these bamboos will not spread out of a given area and do not need containment.

VIEW OUR CLUMPING BAMBOOS

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Phai liang is widely offered and not expensive; it is a clumper (non-invasive), tall growing (up to 12 meters) and can be used as an ornamental and tall hedge. It needs trimming, if you want the bamboo not exceed a certain height.

The true Bambusa multiplex is a similar but different species. It grows less tall (up to 5 m height), the stems are thin, erect but bending over from the weight of foliage. Its English common name is Hedge Bamboo, and it can be trimmed easily to form a hedge.

If you want information about the bamboo varieties available in Thailand, then google for

"bamboo" + "Khamthiang Market", and you will get websites on bamboos in Chiang Mai. These bamboos are available elsewhere in Thailand, too.