New British Passport In Bangkok

Just wanted to post what I think is very good service from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

My passport is due to run out later this year so at the beginning of last week I went into the Embassy to apply for a new one.

I was in and out within 10 minutes after being dealt with by a nice friendly Thai lady at the upstairs counter.

It was very quiet inside as opposed to the scrum that existed in 2003 when my wife was there applying for a Settlement Visa.

My passport has just arrived today by EMS so I am very pleased with the service I received.

As an aside just as I was leaving the Embassy and old guy, looked about seventy was entering with a very provocatively dressed Thai lady. He had a t-shirt on which read, 'I <deleted> on the first date', not exactly a class act IMHO.

Just wanted to post what I think is very good service from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

My passport is due to run out later this year so at the beginning of last week I went into the Embassy to apply for a new one.

I was in and out within 10 minutes after being dealt with by a nice friendly Thai lady at the upstairs counter.

It was very quiet inside as opposed to the scrum that existed in 2003 when my wife was there applying for a Settlement Visa.

My passport has just arrived today by EMS so I am very pleased with the service I received.

Thanks for that update. I will be renewing my passports in September, well before expiration but they only have 1 or 2 pages left. Does anyone know if this embassy has any issues with a UK citizen renewing 2 passports at the same time? The reason I ask is a fellow worker, a British citizen and US resident alien, sent his passports for renewal at the Washington D.C. embassy and they canceled one of them without renewal. When he pursued the matter, he was advised that the embassy had determined he did not qualify for 2 passports. I have had 2 passports for over 20 years and never had this issue before so wondering if it's a new wrinkle on the 'war on terror' invented by some Whitehall desk jockey.

Thanks for that update. I will be renewing my passports in September, well before expiration but they only have 1 or 2 pages left. Does anyone know if this embassy has any issues with a UK citizen renewing 2 passports at the same time? The reason I ask is a fellow worker, a British citizen and US resident alien, sent his passports for renewal at the Washington D.C. embassy and they canceled one of them without renewal. When he pursued the matter, he was advised that the embassy had determined he did not qualify for 2 passports. I have had 2 passports for over 20 years and never had this issue before so wondering if it's a new wrinkle on the 'war on terror' invented by some Whitehall desk jockey.

I know it is now very difficult to GET a second British passport in the UK; you need to PROVE to "the powers that be" that you have a good reason to hold 2 passports. I THINK this is usually if you have to travel to countries that have a mutual dislike of one another. Logically therefore, it might be equally hard to RENEW 2 together without similar proof. Why not do them seperately even if it does mean 2 trips to the embassy?

Have you searched the UK Passport website ?

I noticed you had it EMS'ed to you. If I stay in Bangkok overnight, can I pick it up the next day? A good excuse for a night stopover with my wife in Bangkok.

Thanks for your help...

As an aside just as I was leaving the Embassy and old guy, looked about seventy was entering with a very provocatively dressed Thai lady. He had a t-shirt on which read, 'I <deleted> on the first date', not exactly a class act IMHO.

LOL. Deary me! Would have liked to have seen what her T-Shirt read!

Maybe something along the lines of.......

"I keep my eyes closed and think of the inheritance"

I took the advice you offered to the OP and went to this website. I wanted to make sure I got the correct photo for the new biometric passport.

Below is what I read :o

Do you know (or anyone know) if there is a place local to the Embassy in Bangkok (Or in Pattaya) who takes a photo according to the following rules on the UK website!!!

Looks really complicated - and I cannot even take a toy in with me :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The standards for passport photos

The photographs must be:

identical;

recent (taken within the last month);

45 millimetres (mm) high x 35 millimetres (mm) wide (please do not trim your photographs to meet this condition);

taken against an off-white, cream or light grey plain background so that your features are clearly distinguishable against the background;

printed on low-gloss, plain white photo-quality paper (with no watermarks, embossing or printing on the back);

undamaged, for example, by creases from paperclips;

of you on your own (no toys, dummies or other people visible);

a close-up of your head and shoulders so that your head, from the bottom of your chin to your crown is between 29mm and 34mm high; and

clear of writing on the front and back.

The photographs must also:

be in sharp focus and clear;

have a strong definition between the face and background; and

be printed professionally. Photographs printed at home are not likely to be of an acceptable quality.

The photographs must show:

no shadows;

you facing forwards, looking straight towards the camera;

a neutral expression, with your mouth closed;

your eyes open and clearly visible (with no sunglasses or heavily tinted glasses, and no hair across your eyes);

no reflection or glare on your glasses, and the frames should not cover your eyes (you may find it easier to remove your glasses);

your full head, without any head covering, unless it is worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons; and

nothing covering your face. Please make sure nothing covers the outline of your eyes, nose or mouth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by dsfbrit

I noticed you had it EMS'ed to you. If I stay in Bangkok overnight, can I pick it up the next day? A good excuse for a night stopover with my wife in Bangkok.

Thanks for your help...

Hi, I doubt they offer a next day collection unless in extreme emergency looking at the Embassy website. It generally takes about a week for one to be made up and sent out.

In response to the photo specs, just across the road from the Embassy is a shopping mall. Turn right as you enter the door and there is a small photographic shop who will take just the right pic for your passport. About 250 bht if my memory serves me right.

Thanks for your help...

Hi, I doubt they offer a next day collection unless in extreme emergency looking at the Embassy website. It generally takes about a week for one to be made up and sent out.

In response to the photo specs, just across the road from the Embassy is a shopping mall. Turn right as you enter the door and there is a small photographic shop who will take just the right pic for your passport. About 250 bht if my memory serves me right.

Thanks, I didn't see that it took a week to process, so EMS it is then.

They make them in BKK then? I need to put mine in on Monday and have it back by Friday @ the absolute latest.. :o

What are the chances of pulling this off?!?!

Cheers

Forgot to add, I can drop it off 8am Monday and collect by hand when ready.

Edited by TopDogger

They make them in BKK then? I need to put mine in on Monday and have it back by Friday @ the absolute latest.. :o

What are the chances of pulling this off?!?!

Cheers

Forgot to add, I can drop it off 8am Monday and collect by hand when ready.

I was in the Consular section of the British Embassy yesterday and i saw a sign stating that it takes 10 working days for passport issuance.

Cheers, Rick

I sent mine to the Bk Embassy by post due to running out of pages and i got the new one back within 6 days.Great service and hassle free.

A quick point on the old guy,how disgusting and a total disrespect to a government office.The scoundrel should have been sent packing with a rocket up his ass.

I sent mine to the Bk Embassy by post due to running out of pages and i got the new one back within 6 days.Great service and hassle free.

A quick point on the old guy,how disgusting and a total disrespect to a government office.The scoundrel should have been sent packing with a rocket up his ass.

Ok, so 2 days there, 2 days back, that means they made your new one up in 2 days? :o

Also, is there any way to get hold of the forms that need to be filled out over the weekend?

Thx

Try url :- http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/Files/kfile/App%20C2,0.pdf and try printing it off ( not being sarcastic, just don,t know if it will )

Even if you cannot, it will provide the initial information to get you started.

If you wish to look at the other forms, go to url :- http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065721632030

good luck

marshbags :o

P.S. The fees quoted are as follows :-

The cost of a standard (32 page) Biometric passport is £119 (payable in the equivalent local currency) ( quoted as 8,330 baht. )

The cost of a jumbo/frequent traveller (48 page) Biometric passport is £144 ( Quoted as 10,080 baht )

Just got this now, from their website by the way.

• 1 month later...

"32 page passport = Bt. 8,330.00

48 page passport = Bt. 10,080.00

Child's passport = Bt. 5,320.00"

and

"We do not add or insert additional pages into a passport that is full. If your passport is full, you will need to apply for a replacement."

Wish I'd bought that 48 page last time, given the f***ing ridiculous prices. :o

Maybe something along the lines of.......

"I keep my eyes closed and think of the inheritance"

Or just as likely, that Sex Pistols classic shirt that is quite often seen around the Kingdom, "F#$% OFF wanke_rS!"

cheers for the info MarshBags, I found that form eventually before checking back here. :D

Whats the quickest people have had or heard of others getting a full passport from the UK embassy in BKK?

I managed to get my current passport in 3 days from BKK embassy but that was 8 years ago in 2000 :o

I know it is now very difficult to GET a second British passport in the UK; you need to PROVE to "the powers that be" that you have a good reason to hold 2 passports. I THINK this is usually if you have to travel to countries that have a mutual dislike of one another. Logically therefore, it might be equally hard to RENEW 2 together without similar proof. Why not do them seperately even if it does mean 2 trips to the embassy?

Sound advice there. I will probably drop one off for renewal as I pass through the UK and get my dad to courier it out to me and do the other when I get to Bangkok. However, if I do that, I assume that I then have to take the old passport with current entry TMS card to the Immigration department to get it moved to the new passport. Is that correct? Does Jomtien Immigration do that or does it need to be done at point of entry, Suvarnabhumi or Suan Plu?