One Way Ticket To Thailand

I have been informed by the Thai consulate in Atlanta that because I have misdemeanor D.U.I. convictions I may not be able to get a non-immigrant O-A visa. They said the embassy in Washington would have to review my application. Anyway if it is denied then I will have to use another type of visa that requires a return ticket. Is there anyway that anyone knows how I can fly to Thailand with only a one way ticket. Then when I get over there I can apply for a one year extension which I think amounts to about the same thing as a "retirement visa. I just want to be able to leave when I want and not be tied to a specific date and have the added expense at this time. I have been told that you cannot get refunds on airline tickets.

Forget the O-A visa! Go for a tourist visa or just use a 30 day stamp and you can change to an O visa in Thailand, then get your extension here. Your consulate and airlines will accept a 1 way ticket with an air ticket out within 30 or 60 days, depending on whether you go for a 30 day stamp or tourist visa.

If you have a pension, you can get a letter at the US embassy Bangkok. If using bank account, you are going to have to open a Thai bank account and season the money for 90 days. If a combo, no need to season the money. Really, just forget the O-A!

If you are going to do it this way, getting your visa in Thailand, you should provide more details about your qualification method (financially) so you can get more specific advice.

BTW, in Thailand, you will not be asked to supply a criminal background report and you should not supply it (in your case).

Edited by Jingthing

Forget the O-A visa! Go for a tourist visa or just use a 30 day stamp and you can change to an O visa in Thailand, then get your extension here. Your consulate and airlines will accept a 1 way ticket with an air ticket out within 30 or 60 days, depending on whether you go for a 30 day stamp or tourist visa.

If you have a pension, you can get a letter at the US embassy Bangkok. If using bank account, you are going to have to open a Thai bank account and season the money for 90 days. If a combo, no need to season the money. Really, just forget the O-A!

If you are going to do it this way, getting your visa in Thailand, you should provide more details about your qualification method (financially) so you can get more specific advice.

BTW, in Thailand, you will not be asked to supply a criminal background report and you should not supply it (in your case).

Okay, but a couple of questions. What do you mean by "an air ticket out"? This is not the same as around trip? As far as the financial part I have guaranteed dividend payments but would have to make up the difference in a Thai bank account. For example 400,00 total in monthly income for the year and 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank, correct?

I have been informed by the Thai consulate in Atlanta that because I have misdemeanor D.U.I. convictions I may not be able to get a non-immigrant O-A visa. They said the embassy in Washington would have to review my application. Anyway if it is denied then I will have to use another type of visa that requires a return ticket. Is there anyway that anyone knows how I can fly to Thailand with only a one way ticket. Then when I get over there I can apply for a one year extension which I think amounts to about the same thing as a "retirement visa. I just want to be able to leave when I want and not be tied to a specific date and have the added expense at this time. I have been told that you cannot get refunds on airline tickets.

I doubt very much any airline will allow you to fly here on 1 way ticket , best option is to buy open return ticket.

No problem flying on a 1 way ticket with a any kind of visa (tourist) and a ticket out, say to Malaysia, that leaves within 60 days. I have done it. RT not needed.

From Atlanta, the best deal on a 1 way will probably be KOREAN AIRLINES.

Yes, you can do the combo method. Get a US embassy letter to show your dividend income and open a Thai bank account and transfer the money in, no seasoning needed.

Good luck, you have nothing to worry about getting a retirement extension. Just play the game and you will yet another happy geezer veezer.

Edited by Jingthing

For getting on the plane into Thailand, you need to show a ticket out within 30 days (requirement for visa exempt). To get around that issue, just apply for a tourist visa.

True, but some consulates including Atlanta require that you show an air ticket out of Thailand by the end of the visa. So that might be needed for someone going even for a tourist visa. I also agree you could go on 1 way with no visa as long as you can show an air ticket out anywhere within 30 days.

I doubt very much any airline will allow you to fly here on 1 way ticket , best option is to buy open return ticket.

So what is an open return ticket? By the way, IssanPaul, Udon is where I'm heading.

For getting on the plane into Thailand, you need to show a ticket out within 30 days (requirement for visa exempt). To get around that issue, just apply for a tourist visa.

True, but some consulates including Atlanta require that you show an air ticket out of Thailand by the end of the visa. So that might be needed for someone going even for a tourist visa. I also agree you could go on 1 way with no visa as long as you can show an air ticket out anywhere within 30 days.

Right, in Europe this is highly unusual, most embassies don't require a return ticket, then I guess the best thing the OP could do, is buy a cheap Air Asia ticket to KL or Phnom Penh, or get a ticket which is refundable for the leg that is not used. If that's not possible, get a return ticket, the price difference between a single and return might not be so big in any case.

I honestly don't know if an open return would do any good, unless it's refundable.

Edited by sjaak327

So what is an open return ticket? By the way, IssanPaul, Udon is where I'm heading.

Open ticket is valid for 12 months with most airlines , you can arrange a return date with airline when you are here, by the way i Udon also, lets have a beer when you get here :o

Why would the airline care...not their story

Like I said, some consulates ask for it, most others don't. I tried once, just to see, to apply for a visa at my local Thai consulate (Zurich, Switzerland). When I didn't get my passport back within a week I called them and they said they did not process my application because I had not enclosed a copy of a return or onward ticket.

--

Maestro

Because they would have to carry you back again to where you came from and could also be fined. It's the responsibility of the airline to make sure that their passengers have the necessary travel documents to be allowed to enter Thailand.

Sophon

Because they would have to carry you back again to where you came from and could also be fined. It's the responsibility of the airline to make sure that their passengers have the necessary travel documents to be allowed to enter Thailand.

Sophon

You are correct....sorry, slow brain here...

If you have a visa, one way ticket is fine...

...unless the Thai consulate insists on seeing a return/onward flight before issuing the visa, as some consulates do.

--

Maestro

Consulates in the U.S.? Should be fine at honorary consulates at least. That's a chicken or the egg scenario. If you already have the visa, then a one-way ticket is fine as far as the airline is concerned. Seems that's the situation he was most worried about. Also, I've never heard of Thailand requiring you to have a return ticket if you have a visa.

Would there be any consulates in the U.S. that do not require a return or travel out ticket for a tourist visa? I ask because a couple of the entries on this topic state "some consulates." It sounds like this is not a definite requirement.

Thanks for all replies, past and future.

Would there be any consulates in the U.S. that do not require a return or travel out ticket for a tourist visa? I ask because a couple of the entries on this topic state "some consulates." It sounds like this is not a definite requirement.

Yes, the specific rules vary from one consulate to the next. I believe Atlanta will require it. Email them and they will tell you whether or not. What's the big deal? Buy a one way ticket to Penang on a budget airline and throw it away.

Edited by Jingthing

The embassy in Washington DC has never required this from me.

Interesting as their website says that is a definite REQUIREMENT for a tourist visa:

http://www2.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx

- A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full

Interesting as their website says that is a definite REQUIREMENT for a tourist visa:

http://www2.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx

- A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full

I see they have a new website. That being said, they have never asked me for one. This is true for both tourist visas and a non-imm o. Why would one disclose their DUI offense when applying for the visa?

Well, I have gotten 3 tourist visas from them (one a double entry) and a non immigrant o. I highly doubt that I could be lucky that often.

I have no reason not to believe you. However, most people read the list of requirements before putting their passport and money in the mail. If you don't follow the list of requirements, you are subject to rejection. It might be helpful to people to state the date you last managed to get a visa without following the requirements, because if it was recent that would be encouraging to people who can't or won't follow them. If it was long ago, much less useful info.

Edited by Jingthing

They have also never asked for a bank statement.

My original post was regarding a non-immigrant O-A visa. The required documents according to the MOFA and D.C. Thai embassy web sites are " A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance......." and "A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record........" I've just been trying to do the right thing, but I guess the right thing when it comes to LOS is what ever you can get away with.

Applications for O-A visas outside Thailand do indeed require having a doctor sign a medical form (supplied by the embassy), an official report of criminal record (hopefully showing a lack of one). There are also financial requirements for the O-A but it does not require a Thai bank account. Getting an O-A is a much bigger deal than getting a tourist visa.

Edited by Jingthing