Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

BBC Report:-

Ex-Thai PM fails to attend court

The ousted Thai Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, has failed to appear before a Bangkok court on corruption charges, amid rumours he has fled to the UK. Thai media quoted several sources saying that Mr Thaksin and his family were already in London and would issue a statement later. He was due back in the Thai capital on Sunday after a court allowed him to attend the Olympic Games opening. Mr Thaksin is on bail, facing a string of trials at Thailand's Supreme Court.

Mr Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, is also on bail pending an appeal after she was sentenced last month to three years in jail for tax fraud. It was the first of several cases against Thailand's former first family. Mr Thaksin has always denied any wrongdoing by his family in this case - and several other lawsuits filed against them - and maintains the charges are politically motivated.

No-show

Mr Thaksin and his wife were scheduled to appear before the Supreme Court in a case involving the allegedly unlawful purchase of land. "So far the defendants have not shown up," said a court official. The couple have until 1630 (0930 GMT) to make an appearance before the court demands an explanation from their lawyer; it may eventually issue an arrest warrant. Thailand's Supreme Court has agreed to try several cases against Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly abusing his power during his five years in office.

They could end in a conviction, and a possible prison sentence - results, say analysts, that Mr Thaksin clearly did not anticipate when he made a triumphant return from exile in March. Mr Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006. His party, Thai Rak Thai, was outlawed, and Mr Thaksin was banned from politics for five years. He returned from exile in the UK in March after his political allies in the People's Power Party set up a coalition government.

After Thai authorities froze more than $2bn (£1bn) of his family's assets pending corruption cases against him, he is now reportedly worth $400m (£200m).

/Image caption/ He owns several properties in England as well as the Manchester City football club//

CASES AGAINST THAKSIN FAMILY

• Case one: Abuse of power related to purchase of state land by his wife. Who: Thaksin and his wife. Status: Trial underway
  • Case two: Abuse of power linked to government lottery scheme. Who: Thaksin and several former Cabinet ministers. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court
  • Case three: Abuse of power related to state loan to Burma alleged to have benefited family business. Who: Thaksin. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court
  • Case four: Concealing assets. Who: Thaksin, wife and two others. Status: Awaiting court decision on proceeding to trial
  • Case five: Tax evasion. Who: Members of Thaksin's family. Status: Pojaman Shinawatra and her brother jailed for three years, her secretary for two years
  • Several other claims also lodged

LINK

/edit format//

Edited by A_Traveller

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is not my day : Thaksin

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday he decided to go into exile in England because of security threats to him and his family, as well as unfair treatment in the country's judicial system.

In his statement read out on a state-run NBT TV channel, Thaksin said he and his family will remain in exile in England indefinitely and did not say when he would return to the country.

He accused the country's legal system of employing "double standard" in their proceeding with legal matters against him and his family.

The former premier said he and his family have repeatedly received death threats and that they had to travel in bullet-proof cars.

Thaksin said at first he thought the election result of February 23, which saw the People Power Party (PPP), many of whose members came from his now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, came out victoriously would help "improve the situation".

Therefore he decided to return to Thailand on February 28, thinking that the situation would be favourable and "permits me to prove my innocence."

"But the situation has worsened. What has happened to me is like a poisoned fruits that came from a poisoned tree," Thaksin said.

He claimed there were "intervention in judicial system" that originated from intervention by dictatorship who has hidden agenda to "get rid of me and my family".

"These individuals see me as political enemy. They have no consideration to judicial system, truth and legal principle."

"My family and I have been continuously treated unjustly.

Thaksin apologised to his supporters for having to go into exile and asked them to remain committed to him.

"These are all results of my tireless effort to help the country. I apologise for having to seek relocation to England. I ask that all my supporters to remain with me a bit longer," Thaksin said.

Thaksin said he revealed the whole truth at an appropriate time, saying "Today is not my day."

Thaksin said he and his family remain loyal to the Monarchy "even though some have tried to accuse me of being other wise."

"I may be not a perfect man but I reaffirm that I am as bad as some accused of being. If good fortune were on my side I would like to return to Thailand and die there like all other Thai people.

It was not clear if Thaksin will seek political asylum in the United Kingdom where he owns the Manchester City football club

Source: The Nation - 11 August 2008

The fight continues. The divisions continue.

Whatver little plan has been hatched for national reconcilliation in a post Thaksin world, it is not going to happen without a fight.

sorry please read countries not counties ...

I think you got it right first time.

Assuming Thaksin decides to live in the county of his football club they should bomb Lancashire back to the stoneage, make it all like Rochdale.

If he decides to live in London then they should bomb Lancashire back to the stoneage, make it all like Rochdale.

:o

Cheers

The Shinawatras lost face big time when Pojaman and her cohorts were convicted. You could literally see them losing their faces, when the verdict was read out. There is no greater humiliation for a Chinese (Thai). They will not return, as they are now a laughing stock throughout Thailand. The establishment has succeeded in a coup de grace, (where a coup d'etat failed). The fines and frozen assets are sufficient to cover unpaid taxes etc. A very Thai story, and not without its logic. Voila.

'I won't be back,' says ousted PM Thaksin, on the run in UK

BANGKOK: -- Political interference in the courts will keep former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Britain, the beleaguered formed premier said in a statement faxed to media, and he won't be back anytime soon to appear before a Bangkok court he claims is stacked against him.

Stating that he has been receiving unfair treatment at the hands of a judicial system which essentially has permitted him and his spouse avoid serious discomfort in a serious legal proceeding, he said he would not return to meet the bail conditions imposed by the court in a landmark judicial case assessing charges of corruption against himself, his wife, family members and associates.

Courts here have never tried such a senior official, nor sentenced anyone so close to power as the conviction 10 days ago of Mr. Thaksin's wife, Khunying Pojamun.

Flurries of speculation spilled out over the Thai capital saying the ex-premier had finally been forced into exile.

Democracy is more important in England than in Thailand, the ousted premier said in an impromptu encounter with the media at London airport where he read from a hand-written statement.

Broadcast on television in the Thai capital he said he couldn't come back because

He said he had his family were scapegoated to remove them from the Thai political scene.

Mr. Thaksin left Bangkok for Japan at the end of July and rejoined his wife in China for the opening of the Beijing Olympics.

-- MCOT/TNA 2008-08-11

how will relations between uk and thailand be after this?

About the same as Thailand and Switzerland, another popular bolt hole for local despots and their assets.

You don't really think the nomenklatura would want to close their future exits do you? How many of the nations glorious leaders have gone into overseas retirement, suitcases n'all?

The last one wont leave till the countrys sucked dry and the untermensch are tearing the railings down.

Funny thing is, it seems they are willing to take it that far.

Supreme Court to decide if Doctor Thaksins absence justified

Members of the press contacted the legal team of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra following their failure to report as the first and second defendant in the Ratchada Land purchase case at the Supreme Court. Both defendants have been confirmed as traveling to the United Kingdom and their attorneys asked the court and the press to await an official statment to clarify the matter.

The Supreme Court is reviewing the official statement issued by Doctor Thaksin and deciding whether or not it is substantial for his absence. The court may reschedule the date if it feels the deposed PM's reasons are sufficient, but if not it will be able to issue a warrant for his arrest.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2008

Former PM issues declaration from UK concerning absence from court

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra issued an official statement to explain his failure to report to the Supreme Court and face charges in the Ratchada land sales case.

The former PM wrote that there was a movement seeking to remove him from any involvement in the nation's politics through means of assasination.

He affirmed that his family and himself still were loyal to the Monarchy and the Royal Family and assured that he was as villainous as alleged.

He stated that he would clarify his situation as soon as possible and concluded his statement by expressing his wish to one day complete his life upon Thai soil

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2008

Comment: There seem to be some translation issues with this press release.

He accused the country's legal system of employing "double standard" in their proceeding with legal matters against him and his family.

I can certainly sympathize with his opinion. After all every other time you sent some rag tag relative to the court with 2,000.000b disguised as a candy box, they had always ruled there was no substance to the charges. How did thing ever get so twisted in the Thai justice system :D

I am sure when the attorney and his staff were sent directly to jail for 6 months, (no appeals allowed, and were to be brought back for trial when they got back for a possible 5 year sentences, then the puppet master herself being found guilty and sentenced to 3 years in jail, would have really shaken my understanding and faith in the Thai legal system. After all he knew how it was supposed to work. :o

He bought himself some time - it will take months before he is convicted in absentia, if ever. Arrest warrants and extradition requests are not a threat, it's the conviction that might strip him of his Man City investment, and several months of good football might mean lots of interests and potentially profitable sale.

However, if there's any truth in a letter posted in Man City thread, the club's future is very worrysome with mounting wages and installments on last year signings. If the new managers, Hughes, leaves, the club will be very difficult to sell at all, let alone for profit.

Biting your nails in London mansion beats scratching them against Bangkok prison walls, though.

Breaking News:

Thaksin announces his decision to seek asylum in England

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his decision to seek a political asylum in England in a faxed statement to NBT Channel

The station read Thaksin's statement at about 11:50 am.

The former prime minister said he had to flee to England because he and his family did not receive justice in courts, which had been interfered by his political opponents.

He said there were also attempts to assassinate him.

The former prime minister said he could not trust in the current political system because the coup makers had retained their dictatorial grip through their proxies.

--The Nation 2008-08-11

Is this not considered contempt of court?

Thaksin announces his decision to seek asylum in England

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his decision to seek a political asylum in England in a faxed statement to NBT Channel

The station read Thaksin's statement at about 11:50 am.

The former prime minister said he had to flee to England because he and his family did not receive justice in courts, which had been interfered by his political opponents.

He said there were also attempts to assassinate him.

The former prime minister said he could not trust in the current political system because the coup makers had retained their dictatorial grip through their proxies.

The Nation

So who are the coup makers proxies in the ruling party?

It looks like the UK immigration authorities apply different rules for certain types of people. It's an absolute disgrace if they have granted entry to a convicted criminal on bail., but no surpise that Toxin is now using his tedious tactice of assasination attempts to bolster his chances of political asylum. This is exaclty the sort of family that should be refused entry. After the disgrace of Pinochet all those years back, we now get another. Tea with Gordon Clown per chance? Labour are certainly looking for some donors at present. :o:D

Imho he will neither seek nor be granted politcal asylum. He will live in exile in London or somehwere else as some of the Rusian oligarchs do.

C'mon everyone, wake up please !!

He will live by the golden rule regardless of where he physically happens to be.

HE WHO HAS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES!

Edited by Jai Dee
Corrected colo(u)r format

Well it maybe better for Thailand if TOXIN and his family are not here but being English it does grind a bit thinking he may get asylum there. I was hoping what with a conviction here(all be it in his absence) he would be made by F.I.F.A. to sell Man City F.C. and be barred from staying or getting asylum...We shall see.......The other point i would like to share is he still has not said where his wealth came from the first time he came to office..At the time he was asked but the question got voted down..Now would be a good time for it to be asked again, here and abroad....The rumours are it came from cross border trade if you know what I mean.....Lets hope human rites activists and the power of the law inforcement agencies worldwide bring the full force of their power down on him...........Would be great if the Sun newspaper got on his case they never let go and he can't hide behind his little stick with the cross on it anymore....I'am sure the British press understands KARMA!!!!!!!

It looks like the UK immigration authorities apply different rules for certain types of people. It's an absolute disgrace if they have granted entry to a convicted criminal on bail., but no surpise that Toxin is now using his tedious tactice of assasination attempts to bolster his chances of political asylum. This is exaclty the sort of family that should be refused entry. After the disgrace of Pinochet all those years back, we now get another. Tea with Gordon Clown per chance? Labour are certainly looking for some donors at present. :o:D

How long does it take for your wife to get a visa?? Maybe she should become a criminal to shorten the run.

I'm not sure that criminal convictions are reasonable grounds for granting asylum :-) If he had half a brain he'd have fled to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Thailand. With a bit of luck the Brits will ship him back to face the music.

Found this on the UK goverment website

Paragraph 320(18) of the Immigration Rules requires that admission to the UK should normally be refused if the traveller has been convicted of an offence in any country which, if committed in the UK, would be punishable by imprisonment of 12 months or more.

The Home Office may exercise discretion if there are compassionate or exceptional circumstances involved. Some offences may also be considered to be 'spent', after a period of time, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...708466&to=true for details). A visa application will not be refused under this paragraph of the Immigration Rules if the applicant's conviction is so considered 'spent'.

To pursue this matter further, the person concerned should contact their nearest UK visa-issuing office (address at www.ukvisas.gov.uk/missions).

Edited by khastan

It was clear they weren't coming back when it was reported that Pojaman had taken her secretary and foster brother, co-defendants in her tax fraud case, with her to Beijing. It was suspicious that the supreme court reversed its earlier decision not to allow them to travel so close the Rachadapisek land case hearing and then let them travel with a planned return date only hours before the actual hearing. A deal seems a likely explanation perhaps brokered by a senior figure who might have felt it would be better for the country, if they left. Convicting them in absentia is also a softer option for the judges who would otherwise be under much greater pressure, if they had to be taken to prison straight after the verdict, since there is no automatic right of appeal at the supreme court, it being already the highest court in the land.

I'm not sure how the UK would treat an application for political asylum, if one comes. The Rachadapisek land case and others in the supreme court could perhaps be generously interpreted as political victimisation, hanging over from the coup. But giving political asylum to Pojaman, who has been convicted in a very straightforward tax fraud case, (and possibly to her co-defendants too) would be a hot potato for the British government. Personally I suspect in the end they will be advised not to apply for political asylum in the UK. England is an obvious first port of call as they have property there and Thaksin needs to try to sell Man City before he is humiliated by being forced to sell it by the FA which would ratchet down the price significantly. Nothing serious can happen over extradition for many months, particularly with a PPP government (or its successor) in Bangkok, which gives them time to test the water on political asylum in the UK and explore other options. Although he craves respectability in developed countries like the UK, he will probably do better shopping around in developing countries which don't have extradittion treaties with Thailand where his money will talk even louder. Countries like Belize would love to have him help out with their football teams and will readily sell him passports for the family and his own island. Closer to home there is always Asavahameville in Cambodia, although the proximity to Thailand and the lawlessness there might work against him as well as for him, making assassination a greater risk.

Meanwhile, Taksin will continue campaigning from exile to subvert the justice system by whatever means he can and have all charges against him and his cronies dropped. That is why the lunatic fringe of the PAD can't stop their zany activities. Looking at historical precedents and taking his vast wealth into account (including the frozen assets that he can promise a share of to any one who can help unfreeze them), Taksin's chances of making a come back in the future are better than 50:50.