Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if the UK government was as bright as it's supposed to be, they would strike a deal whereby Thaksin was granted asylum or lifetime visa on the condition that he instructed the PPP to amend the law and allow Brits to once again own land in Thailand (as per that treaty signed by Victoria and Chulalongkorn - forgot its name).

<sigh> Oh well, I can dream :o

Pretty funny for a country to say that it is democratic when not one of it's Prime Minister has served out his term without being coup d’éta(except Thaksin). I am not a Thaksin fan. However, to say that he is the only corrupt politician in Thailand is a joke. I love Thailand, I do not expect Thais to be like USA or Great Britain. The only reason that I think Thaksin is better is that his opponents are worse than him.

And yet you probably don't know any of his opponents :-)

BTW Chuan has served out his term without a Coup Detat. So have Chavalit, Banharn and others.

I won't go into too much detail but having glanced through the thread, Marcos was given immunity in USA because he was a USA funded dictator similar to Shah of Iran, the moron in Cuba prior to Castro etc etc.

((edit))

It is presumably his hope that all he has to do is wait, and then this so called conspiracy will die down when inevitably the positions of unelected power change hands as they must do one day.

To persue political assylum for tax fraud seems somewhat amusing, but when we consider the proven cheating by son Pantongtae at university and the alledged children's well known use of illegal substances yet never being caught, the use of government aircraft for shopping trips, the numerous policy decisions to enrich themselves and friends........we know that for sure they will try on anything this family. Great bunch of blokes though.... 555555555555555555

Ah well, at least i suppose Mai and Lydia can keep him company - yet another of the TRT era's worst kept secrets.

How amusing that good old NBT would be the ones to get the scoop story; the government owned channel of the people which could also be described these days as PPPnet.

Edited by lopburi3
Forum rules - lopburi3

Although he craves respectability in developed countries like the UK, he will probably do better shopping around in developing countries which don't have extradittion treaties with Thailand where his money will talk even louder. Countries like Belize would love to have him help out with their football teams and will readily sell him passports for the family and his own island.

Last time I checked (2-3 years ago) US $50,000 gets you Belizean Dual Citizenship with your home country, and a Belize passport plus all the normal citizen rights and privileges that go with it - and you never need to set foot in the country.

That's literally pocket change to Thaksin, who drops that much on the ground every time he pulls his hanky out of his pocket.

Yes He had to leave why because he is Guilty with Wife and Children.

He has no respect for Thailand and has no Respect for a Justice system Based on The British system.

People want to kill him. Really no surprise there?

The UK my Mother land where are you going.

Trying to get a British Visa is bad.

OK Thaki Babe come in with your illegal money buy a Football club and lots of property.

England now loves Criminals because they want the Loot.

Political ASS *** not Political ASYL** the UK gets what it deserves.

Properly elected Government Thailand. Where have you been.

I sat having a beer and one of the local People casting for votes for the PPP as it was said to the café owner if you vote for us we will give you 500 Baht.

Not just once several times different Bars.

PPP what Thaki Babe party 2.

Hope he feels safe in England.

Any Way hope I havent offended anyone but thats how I feel.

Buy for now must cook some food.

Therefore he decided to return to Thailand on February 28, thinking that the situation would be favourable and "permits me to prove my innocence."

"But the situation has worsened. What has happened to me is like a poisoned fruits that came from a poisoned tree," Thaksin said.

He claimed there were "intervention in judicial system" that originated from intervention by dictatorship who has hidden agenda to "get rid of me and my family".

"These individuals see me as political enemy. They have no consideration to judicial system, truth and legal principle."

"My family and I have been continuously treated unjustly.

Thaksin said he revealed (sic) the whole truth at an appropriate time, saying "Today is not my day."

Absolute classic Thaksin "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me".

How has the situation worsened? It is exactly the same now as back in February, only difference is that his buddies (the PPP), for reasons best known to themselves, didn't ensure a favourable judgement from the courts nor have they ammended the constitution (blaming unrest caused by PAD).

Think about it, why would the PPP want Thaksin back and cleared of his misdemeanours? If that happened chances are he'd be back into politics, either with a reformed TRT or as a powerfull member of the PPP, and he'd sweep out all the current imbeciles and reinstate his previous cronies.

And the last bit is the icing on the cake. "I will clear my name tomorrow". But tomorrow never comes.

I'm not so sure this was a good idea, letting him go instead of imprisoning him, but I can understand how some think this is for the best. I can dream that he will be tried by the international court at the Hague for his slaughter of thousands during his 'war on drugs' that he initiated to distract the local populace from his corruption charges, but it will never happen. I worry what will happen in 5 or 10 years or so however. He is not going to just forget what happened to him. He will wait, and in a decade or so, when people have forgotten what he has done, and he will seek his vengeance, and he will not care at all if he has to destroy the entire country to do so.

It was clear they weren't coming back when it was reported that Pojaman had taken her secretary and foster brother, co-defendants in her tax fraud case, with her to Beijing. It was suspicious that the supreme court reversed its earlier decision not to allow them to travel so close the Rachadapisek land case hearing and then let them travel with a planned return date only hours before the actual hearing. A deal seems a likely explanation perhaps brokered by a senior figure who might have felt it would be better for the country, if they left. Convicting them in absentia is also a softer option for the judges who would otherwise be under much greater pressure, if they had to be taken to prison straight after the verdict, since there is no automatic right of appeal at the supreme court, it being already the highest court in the land.

I'm not sure how the UK would treat an application for political asylum, if one comes. The Rachadapisek land case and others in the supreme court could perhaps be generously interpreted as political victimisation, hanging over from the coup. But giving political asylum to Pojaman, who has been convicted in a very straightforward tax fraud case, (and possibly to her co-defendants too) would be a hot potato for the British government. Personally I suspect in the end they will be advised not to apply for political asylum in the UK. England is an obvious first port of call as they have property there and Thaksin needs to try to sell Man City before he is humiliated by being forced to sell it by the FA which would ratchet down the price significantly. Nothing serious can happen over extradition for many months, particularly with a PPP government (or its successor) in Bangkok, which gives them time to test the water on political asylum in the UK and explore other options. Although he craves respectability in developed countries like the UK, he will probably do better shopping around in developing countries which don't have extradittion treaties with Thailand where his money will talk even louder. Countries like Belize would love to have him help out with their football teams and will readily sell him passports for the family and his own island. Closer to home there is always Asavahameville in Cambodia, although the proximity to Thailand and the lawlessness there might work against him as well as for him, making assassination a greater risk.

Meanwhile, Taksin will continue campaigning from exile to subvert the justice system by whatever means he can and have all charges against him and his cronies dropped. That is why the lunatic fringe of the PAD can't stop their zany activities. Looking at historical precedents and (including the frozen assets that he can promise a share of to any one who can help unfreeze them), Taksin's chataking his vast wealth into account nces of making a come back in the future are better than 50:50.

referring to a share of assets....does this mean the birth of a new Nigeria type emails!!

To persue political assylum for tax fraud seems somewhat amusing

I like your alternative spelling of asylum.

>>>

The UK is not going to play by the rules they like to preach to third world countries like Thailand, nothing will come out of any extradition attempts whatsoever. Formal extradition would severely limit his freedom of movement, however.

He'll be kept there to enjoy wondeful English weather, food, and women.

Found this on the UK goverment website

Paragraph 320(18) of the Immigration Rules requires that admission to the UK should normally be refused if the traveller has been convicted of an offence in any country which, if committed in the UK, would be punishable by imprisonment of 12 months or more.

The Home Office may exercise discretion if there are compassionate or exceptional circumstances involved. Some offences may also be considered to be 'spent', after a period of time, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...708466&to=true for details). A visa application will not be refused under this paragraph of the Immigration Rules if the applicant's conviction is so considered 'spent'.

To pursue this matter further, the person concerned should contact their nearest UK visa-issuing office (address at www.ukvisas.gov.uk/missions).

Unfortunately, these and other related rules are used by the bureaucracy as reasons to exclude relatively penniless and powerless nobodies like you and me. Government rules just give the civil (silly) service peons a reason to say no.

As a lifelong citizen of the US and a recent resident of the UK for the past many years, they may be democratic nations but at the higher echelons of the political and financial power elite, both countries are still garden variety examples of "wink-wink" "nudge-nudge" double-standard hypocracy.

Anything can be and is possible if you have the right combination of money, power and connections. It doesn't matter if one is talking about the UK or Thailand. If Thaksin and his family are seeking permanent residency and financial protection within the UK and EU, they will get it.

Make no mistake about it. Don't kid yourself.

Supreme Court issues arrest warrants against Thaksin, wife

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court Monday issued arrest warrants against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Khunying Pojaman.

The Supreme Court issued the warrants after the couple fled to England instead of returning to Thailand to attend a court hearing in the Ratchadapisek land purchase case.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Holders of Political Positions said the couple broke their promise to return to the country to attend the trial so the courts issued arrest warrants against them.

-- The Nation 2008-08-11

From BBC News today:

Ex-Thai PM 'will remain in UK'

Thaksin Shinawatra in the UK (March 2008)

Thaksin owns properties in England as well as Manchester City football club

The ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said he will not return to Thailand from the UK.

In a statement released to the Thai media, Mr Thaksin said he and his wife would remain in the UK, "where democracy is more important".

Mr Thaksin is on bail over corruption charges but failed to make a scheduled Bangkok court appearance on Monday.

He has always insisted the charges are politically motivated and an attempt to remove him from politics.

"What happened to me and my family and my close relations resulted from efforts to get rid of me from politics," Mr Thaksin said in the hand-written statement.

"These are my political enemies. They don't care about the rule of law, facts or internationally recognised due process."

He claimed there was a "continuation of dictatorship" in Thai politics which led to "interference in the justice system".

Mr Thaksin apologised to the Thai people for his decision to live in England, where his daughter is attending university and where owns several properties, as well as the Manchester City football club.

"If I am fortunate enough, I will return and die on Thai soil, just like other Thais," he said.

Observers have said that the former prime minister may attempt to claim political asylum in the UK, but there was no reference to this in the statement.

Mr Thaksin was due back in the Thai capital on Sunday after a court allowed him to attend the Olympic Games opening.

His wife, Pojaman, is also on bail pending an appeal after she was sentenced last month to three years in jail for tax fraud.

It was the first of several cases against Thailand's former first family.

No-show

Mr Thaksin and his wife were scheduled to appear before the Supreme Court in a case involving the allegedly unlawful purchase of land.

CASES AGAINST THAKSIN FAMILY

Case one: Abuse of power related to purchase of state land by his wife. Who: Thaksin and his wife. Status: Trial underway

Case two: Abuse of power linked to government lottery scheme. Who: Thaksin and several former Cabinet ministers. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case three: Abuse of power related to state loan to Burma alleged to have benefited family business. Who: Thaksin. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case four: Concealing assets. Who: Thaksin, wife and two others. Status: Awaiting court decision on proceeding to trial

Case five: Tax evasion. Who: Members of Thaksin's family. Status: Pojaman Shinawatra and her brother jailed for three years, her secretary for two years

Several other claims also lodged

The couple had been given until 1630 (0930 GMT) to make an appearance before the court demanded an explanation from their lawyer; it may eventually issue an arrest warrant.

Thailand's Supreme Court has agreed to try several cases against Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly abusing his power during his five years in office.

They could end in a conviction, and a possible prison sentence - results, say analysts, that Mr Thaksin clearly did not anticipate when he made a triumphant return from exile in March.

Mr Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006.

His party, Thai Rak Thai, was outlawed, and Mr Thaksin was banned from politics for five years.

He returned from exile in the UK in March after his political allies in the People's Power Party set up a coalition government.

After Thai authorities froze more than $2bn (£1bn) of his family's assets pending corruption cases against him, he is now reportedly worth $400m (£200m).

Update:

I have just heard on BBC World News that The Thai courts have now issued an arrest warrant for Mr & Mrs Thaksin

I can dream that he will be tried by the international court at the Hague for his slaughter of thousands during his 'war on drugs' that he initiated to distract the local populace from his corruption charges, but it will never happen.

Yes I wonder if the families of the dead thought the process was fair?

Thaksin issued a statement saying he was skipping the court appearance because of "unfair" treatment and said he would remain in Britain, the Thai News Agency said.

CNN - Thaskin

He should also consider the US. They took in Marcos, the Sh*t of Iran and other third world nasties. Noriega from Panama was even given a free air ticket and free board and lodging for life when he got there.

Does anyone have any idea of the implications of the Thai authorities issuing an arrest warrant against the deadly duo. I assume that they can only be arrested if they return to Thailand and they have already stated that they will not return. What will tha implications be on the ownership of Man city football club will he still be allowed to own the club given that he is a wanted man? Will they still be able to get a visa given that they are wanted on numerous charges one of which is jumping bail.

It will be interesting to see how the UK Government handle this situation. I as a Brit hope that they are returned to face the music.

Cheers, Rick

Thai former PM Thaksin may announce political asylum

Rumors about if Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will seek political asylum aboard will be clear on Monday, since Thaksin will make an announcement through his lawyers in Bangkok in the morning, a political source said.

It is said that Thaksin is very likely to announce the political asylum state through the announcement.

Rumors they were preparing to go into exile dominated Bangkok political circles last week. Their spokesmen have repeatedly said the duo will be back and make their court appearance.

Source: Xinhua - 11 August 2008

I see Xinhua has descended to the levels of incorrect use of English in journalism as the rapidly deteriorating Nation.

A fleeing criminal cannot "announce asylum". They got it right later saying he would seek asylum. This is an outright lie by the way. Thaksin and his family have long since satisfied FLR/ILR requirements to stay in the UK. There is also no way they would qualify for "asylum".

The incorrect use returns again later in the piece and they finally get it right at the end saying he is "going into exile".

Talk about picking holes mate! We live in a foreign country who's native language is not English. We all understood what he meant. I think we can excuse someone for a small grammatical error.. Dont you?

I can dream that he will be tried by the international court at the Hague for his slaughter of thousands during his 'war on drugs' that he initiated to distract the local populace from his corruption charges, but it will never happen.

Yes I wonder if the families of the dead thought the process was fair?

Thaksin issued a statement saying he was skipping the court appearance because of "unfair" treatment and said he would remain in Britain, the Thai News Agency said.

CNN - Thaskin

so why is anybody surprised? we all knew what he was going to do and the Thai Judicial systym knew also, let him be happy in UK,he was not that bad a man in my eyes when he was in power here.He helped himself yes but he helped a lot of poor Thais also. good luck to him.

I'm not so sure this was a good idea, letting him go instead of imprisoning him, but I can understand how some think this is for the best. I can dream that he will be tried by the international court at the Hague for his slaughter of thousands during his 'war on drugs' that he initiated to distract the local populace from his corruption charges, but it will never happen. I worry what will happen in 5 or 10 years or so however. He is not going to just forget what happened to him. He will wait, and in a decade or so, when people have forgotten what he has done, and he will seek his vengeance, and he will not care at all if he has to destroy the entire country to do so.

All part of the plan, just give it time to unfold.

He always used to be one step ahead, he's now a mile behind and on the run.

he will probably do better shopping around in developing countries which don't have extradittion treaties with Thailand where his money will talk even louder. Countries like Belize would love to have him help out with their football teams and will readily sell him passports for the family and his own island. Closer to home there is always Asavahameville in Cambodia, although the proximity to Thailand and the lawlessness there might work against him as well as for him, making assassination a greater risk.

Meanwhile, Taksin will continue campaigning from exile to subvert the justice system by whatever means he can and have all charges against him and his cronies dropped. That is why the lunatic fringe of the PAD can't stop their zany activities. Looking at historical precedents and taking his vast wealth into account (including the frozen assets that he can promise a share of to any one who can help unfreeze them), Taksin's chances of making a come back in the future are better than 50:50.

Might I recommend serving out the sentence in Burma? Pojaman in - Aung San Suu Kyi out!

Proof there's little true justice in this world.

and I noticed there was nothing in the way of reprimand for Samak from 'W' last week for his outrageous comments about his business associates there and their treatment of the Burmese people. But I digress... :o

Attention all English Expats

The great Taskin gets to live in England enjoy English women and English weather

While he poor old English Expats must live with Thai weather and spend a life time with Young Thai ladies

How do we sleep at night

but he helped a lot of poor Thais also

And also murdered alot of poor Thais. Oh well ...

were there not drug dealers ? hope i am not out of line here mods.

What the F... is that supposed to mean ?

Oh they might be selling drugs go ahead and shoot first. Wake up !!!

Even if they were and there is evidence to suggest some were not they were entitled to their day in court. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty is a cornerstone of most democracies. There is an irony in Thaksin claiming he is not getting justice when they were not afforded it in a brutal manner.

We have covered this many times here before and so shoudl probably avoid sidetracking too much. HRW and Amnesty have reprots on it too if interested.

Well here is a little background for you.

Yes, some actual drug dealers killed on a shoot to kill with no trial basis, plus of course many (mostly?) innocent bystanders. The Thais didn't seem to be much bothered by all this, but we as westerners are supposed to have different values, yes, so why is the UK accepting him?

http://www.geocities.com/suan_nok/khaothai...drugs-0303.html

Why do any westerners admire the sleazeball, now proven COWARD, Thaksin?

That said, I do see from the Thai political point of view, it is better to have him DISGRACED in permanent exile than to actually put him in prison here, which would really inflame his supporters. Americans also have had criminal presidents and we also never jail them.

Edited by Jingthing

What the F... is that supposed to mean ?

Oh they might be selling drugs go ahead and shoot first. Wake up !!!

You wake up, i never stated MIGHT BE