"upgrading" From Tot 1meg To 2 Meg

spacebass

My wife was asked at the TOT office at Ban Pae to take in the TOT modem where something was done to it which was supposed to make our connection 2Meg and not 1 Meg and presumeably some adjustment at the exchange.

I have never used this modem I use a ZyXel 600R modem and a Linksys 54gl router.

The question is (I am aware the 2meg may be a hoax to justify the cheaper 1meg price recently introduced to its old customers signed up at a higher price) will using this adjusted TOT modem going to give me a faster connection or are there adjustments I can make to my Zyxel to equal those ostensibly made to the TOT modem.

I was not previously aware of any adjustments necessary in a modem for different speed internet services.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

they're shitting you because they dont understand how it works.

I have switched from 1mb to 2mb to business 2mb and business 1mb all at home..

i never used their modems aswell. i only use my linksys wireless router as a modem.. but the old shitty modem still worked everytime.

After dealing a lot with adsl companies all over the world i have understood one thing

when u want a profile change, u ask it then u hang up right away, do not listen to any crap they have to say..

when tot says wait 3-4days with no service.. its bullshit, it takes half a second for them to change your profile. they're just too lazy to give you your new username on the phone.. they want to wait 4 days before sending a truck to give you a piece of paper.

That *might* be what they are doing, changing the profile in the modem, or swapping the modem to one that has the username already configured for the new service...as petitechevre stated, because they do not understand how it works.

Where it would be much simpler to just give you the new userid/password over the phone, and you could configure it yourself. But then, stupid farang do not know anything...

As a result of your kind input above I checked the user name in the modem and it has changed from Phone no @ bestcyber to phone no @ gold cyber, now I can change my Zyxel and use that, Thanks for the vibes :o

Edited by spacebass

When I came across a notice that 2mb with TOT was the same price as I was paying for 1mb with TOT I went round to their local office to see if I could get upgraded. I found out that I had automatically been upgraded as had all other goldcyber subscribers. When I got back home I rechecked the modem paper work and found that it ran fine with 2mb. I then asked my son (he nows more about this stuff than me) to run an online check to see if we had indeed been upgraded and he confirmed that we had. I should have asked him to check first before wasting my time going round to TOT, even thought the office is very near.

We did not need to reset the modem.

Our download and upload speeds have increased considerably but nowhere near what they claim in the paperwork.

Edited by GarryP

I was in Nathon a few months ago complaining about my connection speed. "Khun Boy" said - OK no problem, and (with me watching) keyed in my phone number, and hit the 1mb connection box - an option scrolled down that said 2mb, he selected this and I've had a 200 kb/s connection ever since.

It's that easy!

Rob

Any ADSL modem is capable of 8Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream.

ADSL2+ modems are capable of 24Mbps downstream and 2Mbps upstream (the modem must support Annex M for 2Mbps upstream).

The actual speed is set in the DSLAM. The upstream, downstream and DSL type are set using profiles. Several management programs exist to activate these profiles.

Example:

My wife was asked at the TOT office at Ban Pae to take in the TOT modem where something was done to it which was supposed to make our connection 2Meg and not 1 Meg and presumeably some adjustment at the exchange.

I have never used this modem I use a ZyXel 600R modem and a Linksys 54gl router.

The question is (I am aware the 2meg may be a hoax to justify the cheaper 1meg price recently introduced to its old customers signed up at a higher price) will using this adjusted TOT modem going to give me a faster connection or are there adjustments I can make to my Zyxel to equal those ostensibly made to the TOT modem.

I was not previously aware of any adjustments necessary in a modem for different speed internet services.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a ZyXEL 600R modem. I got it from TT&T when I started using ADSL about 2 1/2 years ago.

Then it was 512/256 Kb/s.

I paid extra to change to 1024/512 Kb/s 6 months later and was given a new Username/Password and instructions on how to enter them into the modem.

They then upgraded me to 2.5 Mb/s a year later (free upgrade).

Then to 4 Mb/s this year (free upgrade).

All this was done using the same modem - no change needed.

So the only reason that they may want you to take in the modem is so that they can program it with a new Username/Password. Maybe they do it this way as a service (and save them time & money), rather than try to explain to a non-computer literate person how to do it.

I'm not saying that you are not computer literate, but it may simply be their company policy to set it up, try it on site, and then give it back to you to connect up again. If I was in their position I would probably do it that way too, otherwise it's either an engineer visit to your house to set up the modem, or a lot of time on the phone explaining what to do.

Edit: typo.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Hi, 

I am from Chiangmai and use TT&T. When I upgraded from one Meg to two recently I was asked to bring my router to their office to have the password and user name changed. Probably same reason for your case.

The speed now is almost twice as fast as before.

Hi, 

I am from Chiangmai and use TT&T. When I upgraded from one Meg to two recently I was asked to bring my router to their office to have the password and user name changed. Probably same reason for your case.

The speed now is almost twice as fast as before.

I was on TOTs cheapest package until last Friday. I got TOT to agree to let me try 1Mb over the weekend. She told me to change my username after 5pm. Forgot how to do it so I phoned them and pressed 9...for english. Some guy talked me through it in about 5 mins...funny thing though..he tried three different passwords before it would let me in.

My speed is faster has just shown 827/408 on speedtest.net...almost four times faster than before. Strange thing is if I load www.google.co.th it load almost instantaniously.

...So the only reason that they may want you to take in the modem is so that they can program it with a new Username/Password....
...When I upgraded from one Meg to two recently I was asked to bring my router to their office to have the password and user name changed...

Thanks, cmfarmer! :o