Deadly Box Jellyfish Found In Thai Waters

sriracha john

Sorry to say, but Box Jellies have been in Thailand for many years, but IMHO the authorities have chosen to keep quiet about them rather than alarm (scare off) the tourists.

I was hit off the coast of Rayong about a year ago and have the lovely scar to show for it and my neghbor's daughter got stung quite badly, survived, and has some very bad scars to show for it.

We need to spread the word for hotels and resorts to keep a jug of vinegar and there also needs to be more education for health providers on Jellyfish First Aid as most Thai doctors have never had to treat such injuries.

The Box Jellyfish will only become more common as their natural predators are nearly extinct and as the Gulf of Thailand warms. Wearing a sting suit when jellies have been spotted is not a bad idea. (Perhaps this is why most Thais swim fully clothed?) :o

To my surprise Thailand is very successful to keep any "bad" news out of European newspapers. I know about the vinegar but does the heat treatment help on these?

I had a sting on the hip by a mang-gapung Jelly fish 5 years ago on a visit to Cha-am, I still have the scar. It resulted in widespread swelling of my middle parts causing much amusement amongst the pretty nurses who treated me, buffalo preportions!

2 years ago I returned to Cha-am and severed the tendon below my knee on a broken bottle in the sea, putting me on crutches for 2 months.

After this Deadly Box thread, I'm limiting my swimming to the pools and lakes of Chiang Rai!

Sorry to say, but Box Jellies have been in Thailand for many years, but IMHO the authorities have chosen to keep quiet about them rather than alarm (scare off) the tourists.

I was hit off the coast of Rayong about a year ago and have the lovely scar to show for it and my neghbor's daughter got stung quite badly, survived, and has some very bad scars to show for it.

We need to spread the word for hotels and resorts to keep a jug of vinegar and there also needs to be more education for health providers on Jellyfish First Aid as most Thai doctors have never had to treat such injuries.

The Box Jellyfish will only become more common as their natural predators are nearly extinct and as the Gulf of Thailand warms. Wearing a sting suit when jellies have been spotted is not a bad idea. (Perhaps this is why most Thais swim fully clothed?) :o

To my surprise Thailand is very successful to keep any "bad" news out of European newspapers. I know about the vinegar but does the heat treatment help on these?

Yes- Vinegar and/or very hot (as hot as you can stand) water can help to neutralize the stinging cells.

some info......

Box Jelly is found off the shores of Northern Australia, PNG, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. This marine animal has a boxy bell head the size of a basket ball and three metre tentacles that can kill a man in a couple of minutes, though there are recent reports of much smaller Box jellies that are just as deadly.

It has 3 million stinging cells every centimtre of its tentacles!

The Box jelly is responsible for at least one death a year around Australia and has killed 67 people since records began in 1883, though the total is misleading since many deaths attributed to heart attacks or drowning could have been caused by toxic jellies.

Problem shores are usually signposted, and this is one serious bubblepack to be avoided at all costs - the most poisonous creature in the world.

New Scientist magazine [Nov '03] revealed that Box jellies are not 'dim-witted ocean drifters' but 'fast, active predators that hunt and kill with incredible speed and brutality.'

The Box Jellyfish is mostly a problem from October - May.

Symptoms:

- severe pain

- headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea

- skin swelling/wounds/redness

- difficulty breathing, swallowing and speech

- shivering, sweating

- irregular pulse/heart failure

Stings treatment:

- pour vinegar over tentacles. Urine does not work on the Box Jelly or Irukandji.

- lift off any tentacles with a stick or similar.

- use pressure-immobilisation on limbs if possible. i.e. quickly wrap a light bandage above and below the sting [if you can't get two fingers under the bandage, it's too tight].

- Immobilize/splint the stung area and keep it at heart level [gravity-neutral] if possible. Too high causes venom to travel to the heart, too low causes more swelling.

- Do not drink alcohol, or take any medicine or food.

- get medical treatment urgently or apply antivenom if available.

A spokesperson for the Phuket Marine Biology Centre said that testing is likely to confirm biologists' suspicions that the type discovered on Phuket is not the same variety as the killer box jellyfish

Yet a Swedish tourist was killed by a jellyfish sting off Krabi in April this year. Interesting....

Note that October - May is in the southern hemisphere.. The Thai jellyfish season is probably the other way round as they are prevalent during wet season. I also read that during rough weather, they can lose tentacles, which drift independently and continue to sting..

Edited by tw25rw

My 5 year old son was stung by a big multi-tentacle box jellyfish in the shallows of Koh Mak last December 3 days after a group of swimmers on the same beach outside the Koh Mak Resort were also stung including a young girl. My son suffered cardiac and respiratory arrest and within seconds was unconscious without vital signs on the sand. Quick thinking from staff at our resort got vinegar on the stings (including mine - careful if you have to retreive a victim from the sea as the rescuer is likely to get stung also!) and by some miracle he survived. No one warned us of the potential danger yet all the locals knew of the problem and the seriousness if stung. This behaviour is crazy and downright dangerous! I warned other swimmers a few hours later of the risk and most had a quick look, couldn't see anything and kept swimming and snorkeling - note: experts say that you'll see their shadow before you see them and if there's one there'll be many.

I have spent much time following this up and can relate a few things based on my exchanges with numerous experts...

the box jellyfish in Thailand are indigenous and there will be numerous species

pollution and nutrification of the sea increases food source of box jellyfish inturn increasing numbers

lack of predator numbers (turtles) and global warming might have some effect though presumed to be minimal

if someone dies from a sting it is the venom that kills not an allergic reaction or anaphylaxis

splash vinegar on the tentacles to neutralize the stinging cells (I ripped the bloody things off my son's leg which injects more venom..)

the morning glory plant relieves pain and has been used by Australian aborigines to treat jellyfish stings for ages

chironex fleckeri is the main killer in Australia, it has a relative in the Philippines (about 50 deaths a year) and I saw a similar one off the coast of Koh Lanta in June

the poor Swedish girl who was killed in April received wounds that are characteristic of this species

Clearly there are deadly box jellyfish on both sides of Thailand and proper caution should be exercised if you believe the risk warrants it. Many do, many don't.

One can find many links online to the increase in jellyfish populations worldwide. Here is a link to one such article.

Some have called the increase in such species along with the increase in algae mats along the seafloor and the increase of bacteria in shallower waters a 'de-evolution' or 'reverse' evolution of the planet's oceans, a trend favoring simpler life forms and less biological diversity.

And, for what it is worth, I had a close encounter with some unknown species of jellyfish just off Kata Beach on Phuket back in 1983. I doubt it was a box jelly, but it was one of the few times I was brought to tears by pain, and I carried a red welt on my side for over a year.

Phuket Box Jellyfish: Biologists Sound Public Alert

The Director of the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, Vannakiat Thubthimsaeng, has alerted key tourism groups, media, hospitals, local authorities and the island's new Governor to the presence of potentially dangerous box jellyfish in the waters of the region.

His warning comes in a letter sent to a long list of people in high positions on the island.

It follows the death of a Swedish girl off Koh Lanta in April and two news reports this week by Phuketwan that disclosed the presence of box jellyfish in the sea off Phuket's east coast.

Box jellyfish have been found near at least one patch of mangroves not far from Phuket City.

Scientists do not believe there is a likelihood of an outbreak on the west coast, the location of Phuket's best-known tourist beaches.

In the letter, dated October 21, Khun Vannakiat recorded the death of the Swedish tourist off Koh Lanta, Krabi, on April 3 this year.

A second tourist suffered stings in the incident but survived.

''The Phuket Marine Biological Center sent a team to conduct research in the area between July 2-4 with a team of researchers and a doctor from the Epidemiology Investigation and Surveilance Section of the Ministry of Public Health,'' the letter says.

It goes on to warn fishermen, tourists and the public generally that box jellyfish have since been found in waters off Phuket.

Shrimp nets were cast off Koh Lanta and in two hours, researchers captured six box jellyfish.

On August 22, seven more box jellyfish were captured off Koh Lanta.

On July 27-30, box jellyfish were also encountered in mangrove stake traps at Nam Bor Bay, (on Phuket's east coast, between Phuket City and Cape Panwa.)

More were found in the same area between October 20-21, the letter said.

The jellyfish tended to live near mangrove forests in brackish water, Khun Vannakiat added. He said there had been no sightings on Phuket's west coast.

Phuketwan has been told that research is now being conducted in Australia, where box jellyfish are better-known, on the two distinct types of jellyfish found in Phuket and Krabi waters.

Release of the letter poses a challenge this week for two men at the top who are new to their positions.

The Governor of Phuket, Dr Preecha Roungjun, started his job on Monday.

On Saturday, the new director of the regional office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Settapan Puttanee, is due to arrive to take up his post.

Khun Settapan, who is transferring from his role as director in the TAT's New York office, has spent the past few months as a Buddhist monk.

- Phuket Wan / 2008-10-23

OK we've done Thai for vinegar... thank you, but we seem to have missed the maybe one day vitally important, Thai for box jelly fish? (again, phonetically)

anybody?

"Maengkapoon" is the closest phonetic I can give. This is for "jellyfish" only. Asking my Thai staff for the name of this box jelly elicited only blank looks, so far.

Phuket Box Jellyfish: Biologists Sound Public Alert

~edit~

Khun Settapan, who is transferring from his role as director in the TAT's New York office, has spent the past few months as a Buddhist monk.

- Phuket Wan / 2008-10-23

"has spent the past few months as a Buddhist monk." that should help!!

I had a sting on the hip by a mang-gapung Jelly fish 5 years ago on a visit to Cha-am, I still have the scar. It resulted in widespread swelling of my middle parts causing much amusement amongst the pretty nurses who treated me, buffalo preportions!

2 years ago I returned to Cha-am and severed the tendon below my knee on a broken bottle in the sea, putting me on crutches for 2 months.

After this Deadly Box thread, I'm limiting my swimming to the pools and lakes of Chiang Rai!

looks like you should avoid Cha-am, I think I'll start selling Stinger suits in Thailand, anyone need one. These are fullbody lycra suits, we make them for the Australian market.

OK we've done Thai for vinegar... thank you, but we seem to have missed the maybe one day vitally important, Thai for box jelly fish? (again, phonetically)

anybody?

"Maengkapoon" is the closest phonetic I can give. This is for "jellyfish" only. Asking my Thai staff for the name of this box jelly elicited only blank looks, so far.

I believe the scientific name for genus chironex means hand murderer (the tentacles are attached to things that look like hands). Maybe we need to come up with a new name relating to murder to get the point across.. Assuming these are chironex jellyfish.

Unfortunately, the wikipedia page has been edited by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

looks like you should avoid Cha-am, I think I'll start selling Stinger suits in Thailand, anyone need one. These are fullbody lycra suits, we make them for the Australian market.

Got a pic?

Hi, I wanted to let you guys also know you can also use mustard on jelly stings. Last year my father in law was strung in the waters in Hua hin. He knew that mustard has large amounts of vinegar in it.It stays on the area for awhile.

Cindy

just shows how much you can rely on government/agencies etc for somerthing even approaching the truth , first time box jelly fish found in Thai waters and look how many posts repudiating this historic declaration .

This is the time for jdasia to use his epic response to one of my 'Off key' responses .

WRONG AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!

VDO Interview Dr Somchai Bussarawit, Chief of Reference Collection & Phuket Aquarium on box jellyfish in Phuket & Krabi

National News Bureau Public Relations Department

or

Andman-20081027_767.jpg

Our interview is with Dr Somchai Bussarawit, Chief of Reference Collection & Phuket Aquarium. Following the death of a tourist by a presumed deadly Box Jellyfish off Koh Lanta’s west coast of Krabi, in April this year, letters, cooperation & research are being exchanged with Australian jellyfish experts on types here, with an info exhibition now at Phuket Aquarium & letter issued to all concerned agencies & hotels; as Dr Somchai insists that deadly Box Jellyfish have not been found on Phuket’s West coast so far: ……....

Any jellyfish stings should be treated with vinegar not water, nor urine, as soon as possible. Contact: Tel 076 391126 fax 076 391406 [email protected]

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Monday 27 October 2008 & NNT : National News Bureau of Thailand & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com Send comments to [email protected]

So I suppose a long sleeve nylon/spandex rash guard shirt and long board shorts would be decent protection as well. Have that already, but thanks for the offer.

So I suppose a long sleeve nylon/spandex rash guard shirt and long board shorts would be decent protection as well. Have that already, but thanks for the offer.

Long sleeve rashy and board shorts are better than nothing but the big box jellyfish are more prevalent in shallow sandy bottom water (they breed in the mangroves then disperse hunting food) and can be be 'fishing' when someone unsuspectingly walks into a tentacle or 2 and they'll tangle around your ankle and legs.

The ideal protection (UV also!) is obviously full body suit, not necessarily a good look but you just have to wear it in the water and can bake on the beach as usual.

Stylish look. Just right for the beach:

http://www.stingersuits.com/results.php

Unfortunately we can't all look like a glowing Sean Connery and Ursula Andress when on the beach but when it comes to practical protection and safety atire at the beach - wetsuits, life jackets, etc - stinger suits are not a fashion accessory and will stop all jellyfish stings (plenty of other marine stingers than boxies about). Most kids here in Australia get around wearing similar outfits at the beach even when no jellyfish because of dangerous UV levels so it's a look that was a bit silly when first introduced but taken for granted now.

My son had a lycra shirt and speedos bathing suit bottom on when he was struck and when I pulled him out of the water he had tentacles on his ankles, thighs and torso but the latter was protected which may well have been the difference between life and death.

The chances of getting stung are minimal but it happens and the pics at post #7 are how you would look if you survive a sting:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2279237

Stylish look. Just right for the beach:

http://www.stingersuits.com/results.php

Unfortunately we can't all look like a glowing Sean Connery and Ursula Andress when on the beach but when it comes to practical protection and safety atire at the beach - wetsuits, life jackets, etc - stinger suits are not a fashion accessory and will stop all jellyfish stings (plenty of other marine stingers than boxies about). Most kids here in Australia get around wearing similar outfits at the beach even when no jellyfish because of dangerous UV levels so it's a look that was a bit silly when first introduced but taken for granted now.

My son had a lycra shirt and speedos bathing suit bottom on when he was struck and when I pulled him out of the water he had tentacles on his ankles, thighs and torso but the latter was protected which may well have been the difference between life and death.

The chances of getting stung are minimal but it happens and the pics at post #7 are how you would look if you survive a sting:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2279237

They need to bring them out in a light tan colour so we don't look like a family of comic book superheroes.

Hopefully, they will bring out some kind of repellent which won't was off. Apparently the stinging cells detect proteins which trigger a sting, so they are seeking a substance which causes them to not fire.

Killer on the loose

Swimmers are warned after deadly box jellyfish tentacles cause fatalities

Tourists snorkelling off Thailand's southern coasts have been falling victim to swarms of deadly box jellyfish lately. Victims have arrived at Krabi Provincial Hospital and Phi Phi health station.

More: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/05...al_30087604.php

They cannot really deny it anymore now can they ....... Houston we have a problem and a big one at that!!

W