Thaksin Guilty In Land Case, Gets 2-year Imprisonment

george

You guys didn't stop posting on weekend! No shopping? No camping with family? No dinner with someone special?

Full time writers?

Did you stop loving thaksin on the weekend :o

Edited by Artisi

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did 15 and 30 YEAR Government backed debt Bonds sold to non-Thais ONLY.

In other words in 15 and 20 year increments those DEBTS and their earned interest MUST be paid,

by your CHILDREN'S taxes, to finance Thaksin's scheme while in office 5 years back.

He put off payment for decades to have money to play with NOW.

It's like getting in over your head with credit cards.

I only heard of the Bonds to Thais in 5 years.

Why did the non-Thais have that Bonds?

They don't want Thai's to buy those long term bonds,

it raises money inside thialand and then ties it up for decades.

Then no money comes in from outside to finance the external loan,

by sending the money outside again. He wanted Thailand to get money INCOMING,

then pay it back much later. He gets cash to play with and debt deferred decades in the future.

It is a smart plan for the short term, and he is a smart cookie in the short term,

when not under pressure. Unfortunately facts prove him to not be a square shooter.

And under pressure he gets quite flakey...

I got lots of things done over the weekend.

And typed here periodically.

I see, it's about someone else's money that was under threat from Thaksin.

:o

>>>

You know, if a dog enters a room, the first thing he'd do is to find some shit. If there's no shit, he'd mark the room himself.

They just need some shit to fill their lives. Same as with your conspiracy theories, and yours get wackier everyday.

Yes but I recognise when I'm being a bit wacky, and admit error when I'm wrong.

You and your less cerebral acolytes never admit error even when off the loony scale as with your Moony fantasy

my highlight above.

YH, you seem to be accusing Plus & other posters, of acting somehow in concert ? Do you have evidence of this ? Or am I misunderstanding your meaning ?

And who is the "not nearly so elevated" person who you have in mind ? It is hard to debate with you ... when you don't name him/her. Thaksin & company often blame their misfortunes on mysterious third-parties, but hopefully we can be more explicit than them, while remaining within forum rules of course.

In other words in 15 and 20 year increments those DEBTS and their earned interest MUST be paid,

by your CHILDREN'S taxes, to finance Thaksin's scheme while in office 5 years back.

then pay it back much later. He gets cash to play with and debt deferred decades in the future.

It is a smart plan for the short term, and he is a smart cookie in the short term,

when not under pressure. Unfortunately facts prove him to not be a square shooter.

I don't see what the bad effects are. When Thailand had debt from IMF, IMF forced us to apply some rules bringing benefits to them. Finishing that loan freed us from being controlled. Managing fund like what Khun Thaksin had done was a good way. I doubt other PMs who come from Army or other parties can do it.

You guys didn't stop posting on weekend! No shopping? No camping with family? No dinner with someone special?

Full time writers?

Did you stop loving thaksin on the weekend :o

Why? I don't post doesn't mean I don't support Khun Thaksin.

Court throws out Thaksin's lawsuit

The Criminal Court yesterday threw out a defamation lawsuit brought by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra against leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and ASTV. The suit, filed by Vinijt Pinthavanit on Thaksin's behalf, named six PAD leaders _ Sondhi Limthongkul, Somkiart Pongpaiboon, Pibhop Dhongchai, Somsak Kosaisuk, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang and Suriyasai Katasila _ and Thaiday.com Co, operator of satellite TV station ASTV.

The suit alleged the PAD leaders wrongfully issued a press release describing Thaksin as a criminal and ''ghost'' who fled the country to escape prosecution.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Court throws out Thaksin's lawsuit

The Criminal Court yesterday threw out a defamation lawsuit brought by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra against leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and ASTV. The suit, filed by Vinijt Pinthavanit on Thaksin's behalf, named six PAD leaders _ Sondhi Limthongkul, Somkiart Pongpaiboon, Pibhop Dhongchai, Somsak Kosaisuk, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang and Suriyasai Katasila _ and Thaiday.com Co, operator of satellite TV station ASTV.

The suit alleged the PAD leaders wrongfully issued a press release describing Thaksin as a criminal and ''ghost'' who fled the country to escape prosecution.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

The Criminal court doesn't deem calling Thaksin 'a criminal' as defamation, because he is officially a criminal.

Why the Criminal court doesn't deem describing Thaksin as 'a ghost' as defamation of character, I don't know. The judges probably thought it was plain silly. Even so, the term 'ghost' was in the deposition filed by Thaksin's lawyers - thereby reflecting one of thin-skinned Thaksin's many sensitivities. In general, it reflects Thai peoples' fixation on ghosts and other types of superstition.

On second thought, it's like a westerner calling a big shot 'an ogre' or 'a warlock' - so maybe that's enough for a bazzillionaire to get offended to the degree of filing a lawsuit for defamation of character.

I don't see what the bad effects are. When Thailand had debt from IMF, IMF forced us to apply some rules bringing benefits to them. Finishing that loan freed us from being controlled. Managing fund like what Khun Thaksin had done was a good way. I doubt other PMs who come from Army or other parties can do it.

Koo, bonds are just deferring the debt till later, and spreading the payees out to many different people.

The IMF was not making some huge profit for this loan.

It isn't a country and it isn't really a business, it is more of a charity to countries in trouble.

It has strict rules , if you borrow from it you are expected to tighten up your rules.

Well guess what in general those tighter rules are better for the financial system.

We are seeing that if anything those rules are not tight enough,

even America's financial system has fallen from too a loose a set of rules.

By playing the nationalist 'we do it the Thai Way' card Thaksin has gotten to

let the Central Back go back to it's old ways of not having a clue reactionist pandering.

As we witness weekly.

The IMF bailed out Thailand at Thailand's REQUEST. No one forced them to ask for this.

Don't confuse Thaksin's nationalist rhetoric against the IMF, with his concurrent removing

of prudent financial controls for his own benefit and his friends. That was the aim,

couched in nationalist Rhetoric, He wanted more cash to play with,

and less observation on the playing fields...

And doesn't care if your children will be repaying that debt in 15 + years.

Oops sorry Koo your retirement will be much less pleasent.

Thaksin's debts will come due in one pile rather than a gradual pay back.

Edited by animatic

• 2 weeks later...
Pojaman Shinawatra, his wife, was found not guilty and the court revoked arrest warrant against her.

SURPRISE SURPRISE

Of course she

WAS convicted of the Assets Concealment and Fraud case and skipped bail, she is now appealing that,

but only her appearent power and money has prevented her bail being cancelled

and her doing some time during the appeals process.

She is STILL a convicted criminal pending WINNING the appeal.

There is NO OTHER WAY TO SEE THIS.

Edited by animatic

I don't see what the bad effects are. When Thailand had debt from IMF, IMF forced us to apply some rules bringing benefits to them.

Finishing that loan freed us from being controlled. Managing fund like what Khun Thaksin had done was a good way.

I doubt other PMs who come from Army or other parties can do it.

The only usage any monies received by the IMF go to is saving other countries in trouble in the future.

it isn't like a commercial profit making bank, but an international safety fund for nations in trouble.

The IMF rules weren't put in to punish or control Thailand and benefit the IMF.

The rules were to benefit ALL COUNTRIES equally by limiting RISKY financial maneuvers.

Because it's not good when countries monetary systems fail.

'97 being a great example of the interactive effect.

We are starting to see that NOW, even from a giant like USA

NOT having STRICT enough monetary policy.

These rules which THAILAND AGREED TO WHEN TAKING THE LOANS....

were considered by many levels of world economists as the best way to prevent another recurrence of '97 crash,

and in retrospect they have proved NOT TOUGH ENOUGH.... Seeing we have another crisis.

I doubt the army bred guys can do it properly it's just not in their army school training.

I agree with you 100% on that.

But an Oxford trained guy like Abhisit at least has read on the subject, as part of his schooling.

You may not trust him, but he IS well read on this stuff.

You can't graduate as a foreign student from Oxford and not have a clue about economic matters.

PPP cabinet's Olarn also seems to be properly trained I was suprised reading his resume,

and then not surprised thathe got in Chaiya's face about the is stupid rice pledging crap last month.

Freed from being controled by AGREEMENTS on how to manage your economy,

which allowed Thaksin to play with the economy to make himself richer.

Those rules he didn't like limited graft and limited making stupid decisions.

They were not just put in place for just Thailand,

but for ANY NATION asking for IMF Bridging Loans in time of crisis.

Thaksin used nationalist rhetoric to make the Thai people think

loosening rules was a good thing, since it was not a Thai idea.

Farang financial ideas must automatically be bad for Thailand, right?.

So the bad effects of deferred debt, is that it has not gone away,

just is not seen for a longer time... but it IS sitting in the corner waiting to be paid back

with interest by future generations, like your kids when they are working.

Typically long term debt pays back HIGHER interest.

that means your children will pay back MORE interest than the

IMF loan itself would have requiered. Who pays this in the end?

Thaksin didn't pay off the debt, he just sold it to others,

who didn't have a say in how tough the rules of operation can be.

Taking from Peter to pay Paul,

because Paul wants you to act more responsably,

while Peter only wants more money later for 2nd loan....

The exchange of DEBTORS means Thai's pay more for this time lag,

and get saddled with less strict banking and government regulation of the

banking segment.

So more chance of another '97 crisis...

Getting a new loan (alleged foreign bond) to pay old loan (IMF). I do it all the time. This is call re-mortage. What's wrong with that. Have you not done that?

Any finance ministers who saw an opportunity to re-mortage to a better deal, and don't act on it should be sack for not doing his/her job.

She is STILL a convicted criminal pending WINNING the appeal.

There is NO OTHER WAY TO SEE THIS.

So is Sondhi, Chamlong, Apirak, Samak, and all the politican I can think off.

They all have been convicted pending WINNING the appeal. Why single her out?

Sam not quite so.

ONLY Samak has been convicted in your list.

He has also lose his appeal and so is now out of country

on 'medical grounds'.

Sondhi has older rather questionable charges from Thaksin that he is appealing yes.

And it's not his fault justice crawls here.

Sondhi and Chamlong for curerent affairs are out on bail pending trial,

they have ONLY been called to police and arraigned.

Apirak is ONLY found by the NCCC to have been possibly suspect enough to bring to trial,

but it has YET to be brought up by the attorney general.

He has not been even called to a police station as far as I know.

Getting a new loan (alleged foreign bond) to pay old loan (IMF). I do it all the time. This is call re-mortage. What's wrong with that. Have you not done that?

Any finance ministers who saw an opportunity to re-mortage to a better deal, and don't act on it should be sack for not doing his/her job.

Yes, in this case a better deal for him in office to play at the time,

and a worse deal for Koo's kids the future.

That's not how most re-mortgaging works best.

Sondhi has older rather questionable charges from Thaksin that he is appealing yes.

And it's not his fault justice crawls here.

Justice crawls here: why did the court move PPP case forward? It crawls because the court wants it to craw.

Didn't Sondhi left Thailand and went overseas (China) last month? Who say a convicted criminal cannot leave the country?

Criminal is a person who is guilty of breaking the laws and is caught by those who have not (yet) been caught.

Some people will NEVER get caught, because they don't break laws.

Because they have the net.

They bought votes -> not enough evidence to judge -> quiet

They took lands in the South -> quiet for years until now

Their member in the Party joined the terrorist PAD -> quiet

He didn't join the Military when he was 18 -> not qualified to become PM -> showed some handsome pictures -> quiet

Democrat is a yellow green taxi (yellow: PAD, green: Army) -> not enough evidence -> quiet

I don't see what the bad effects are. When Thailand had debt from IMF, IMF forced us to apply some rules bringing benefits to them.

Finishing that loan freed us from being controlled. Managing fund like what Khun Thaksin had done was a good way.

The only usage any monies received by the IMF go to is saving other countries in trouble in the future.

it isn't like a commercial profit making bank, but an international safety fund for nations in trouble.

The rules were to benefit ALL COUNTRIES equally by limiting RISKY financial maneuvers.

were considered by many levels of world economists as the best way to prevent another recurrence of '97 crash,

and in retrospect they have proved NOT TOUGH ENOUGH.... Seeing we have another crisis.

I doubt the army bred guys can do it properly it's just not in their army school training.

But an Oxford trained guy like Abhisit at least has read on the subject, as part of his schooling.

You can't graduate as a foreign student from Oxford and not have a clue about economic matters.

PPP cabinet's Olarn also seems to be properly trained I was suprised reading his resume,

and then not surprised thathe got in Chaiya's face about the is stupid rice pledging crap last month.

just is not seen for a longer time... but it IS sitting in the corner waiting to be paid back

banking segment.

This shows that you either do not understand how IMF works or you try to mislead.

I'll discuss later as this requires some typing.

banking segment.

This shows that you either do not understand how IMF works or you try to mislead.

I'll discuss later as this requires some typing.

I look forward to learning about "how the IMF works" from you Koo. :D

pssst.... Might require some research as well as some typing. :o

Many of us old-fashioned people might have thought it a good idea, to pay off the loan instead, indeed the UK recently completed paying-off its debts incurred in fighting the 2nd-World War, over 60 years after the war itself ended, hence the suggestion is that Thai children not yet born may well still be paying for Thaksin's re-financing of the IMF-debt.

Of course Thaksin might alternatively just have paid it off straight away, out of taxes collected from large-companies like Shin Corp or rich people like the Shinawatra-family, ... erm ... erm :o

Many of us old-fashioned people might have thought it a good idea, to pay off the loan instead, indeed the UK recently completed paying-off its debts incurred in fighting the 2nd-World War, over 60 years after the war itself ended, hence the suggestion is that Thai children not yet born may well still be paying for Thaksin's re-financing of the IMF-debt.

Of course Thaksin might alternatively just have paid it off straight away, out of taxes collected from large-companies like Shin Corp or rich people like the Shinawatra-family, ... erm ... erm :o

Now now Ricardo dont forget why Thaksin decided he wanted to run the country. It wasnt anything to do with the countries interest, and certainly not to make sure that he and his ilk would pay taxes.

Criminal is a person who is guilty of breaking the laws and is caught by those who have not (yet) been caught.

Because they have the net.

They bought votes -> not enough evidence to judge -> quiet

They took lands in the South -> quiet for years until now

Their member in the Party joined the terrorist PAD -> quiet

He didn't join the Military when he was 18 -> not qualified to become PM -> showed some handsome pictures -> quiet

Democrat is a yellow green taxi (yellow: PAD, green: Army) -> not enough evidence -> quiet

I repeat:

Hard to believe is it?

Now now Ricardo dont forget why Thaksin decided he wanted to run the country. It wasnt anything to do with the countries interest, and certainly not to make sure that he and his ilk would pay taxes.

Another description is a governmental Ponzi Scheme.

Tell an under-informed group that they can make a lot of money now.

Tell same group it benefits their nationalist, social or religious interests.

Tell them it will cost them a little bit now, but make them BIG money in short awhile.

Tell them it's doing a service for other people they can feel good about.

Tell them it just goes on and on.

Get them to pony up, and eventually it all collapses.

Those that join late get ZIP!

And more people who were doing OK before,

become truly hurt. While a few get enriched early ion....

IMF Koo read here.

NOT Wikipedia in Thai either.

http://www.imf.org/external/index.htm

http://www.imf.org/external/work.htm

What the IMF Does

The work of the IMF is of three main types.

Surveillance involves the monitoring of economic and financial developments,

and the provision of policy advice, aimed especially at crisis-prevention.

The IMF also lends to countries with balance of payments difficulties, to provide temporary financing

and to support policies aimed at correcting the underlying problems;

loans to low-income countries are also aimed especially at poverty reduction.

Third, the IMF provides countries with technical assistance and training in its areas of expertise.

Supporting all three of these activities is IMF work in economic research and statistics.

In recent years, as part of its efforts to strengthen the

international financial system, and to enhance its effectiveness at preventing and resolving crises,

the IMF has applied both its surveillance and technical assistance work to the development of standards

and codes of good practice in its areas of responsibility, and to the strengthening of financial sectors.

The IMF also plays an important role in the fight against money-laundering and terrorism

I mean this is truly devious stuff, no?

Just to show you how truly nasty the IMF is see this letter to Kuhn Thaksin vis a vis the Tsunami crisis.

Letter to Thaksin Shinawatra, Prime Minister of Thailand

from Rodrigo de Rato, Managing Director of the IMF

December 28, 2004

Similar letters were also sent to Somkid Jatusripitak, Finance Minister of Thailand, and Pridiyathorn Devakula, Governor, Bank of Thailand.

His Excellency Pol. Lt. Col Thaksin Shinawatra

Prime Minister

Government House

Phitsanulok Road

Bangkok 10300

Thailand

Dear Prime Minister Thaksin:

Please allow me to express, on behalf of the International Monetary Fund,

our deepest condolences to your government and the people of your country,

especially affected families, for the terrible loss of life experienced as a result

of the massive earthquake and tidal waves this past weekend.

As you begin the difficult task of dealing with the aftermath of these tragic events,

we in the International Monetary Fund will explore all possible ways that our institution can assist you.

In this regard, I have asked our staff to establish immediate contact with you and your colleagues.

We will also be working together with other regional and international institutions to ensure

a speedy and coordinated response.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this most difficult time.

Yours sincerely,

Rodrigo de Rato

Clearly the IMF is trying to screw Thailand royally and hurt the Thai people...no?

NOT!

Also get the 1999 paper comparing Thailand, Indonesia and Korea

2 years into that '97 crisis.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/op/op178/

Edited by animatic

I repeat:

Hard to believe is it?

Never drove after drinking? Never thrown garbage on the street? Never cashed a check without enough funds to cover it? Never jay-walked? Never drank when they were underage? Never smoked a joint? Never smoked a cigarette when they were too young? Etc.

Everybody has commited crimes. :o

I repeat:

Hard to believe is it?

Never drove after drinking? Never thrown garbage on the street? Never cashed a check without enough funds to cover it? Never jay-walked? Never drank when they were underage? Never smoked a joint? Never smoked a cigarette when they were too young? Etc.

Everybody has commited crimes. :o

No everybody, that is a rationalization for doing things

and saying well everyone else does.

I never said I personally was an angel,

but I have met a few that I do believe have never knowingly broken a law.

Enough to make the statement true.