Situation In Bangkok

Billfo

Hi,

My parents are coming to visit Thailand in a couple of weeks and are spending about 3 days in Bangkok at the hilton hotel near the river. I was just wondering what is the situation with the protests like now? I live in Chiang Mai so I don't know the extent of it. Is it safe or do you think it's best to avoid Bangkok, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

With next week's planned invasion of Government House by pro-government civilian forces with the objective of throwing out PAD, I would wait one week before making an assessment.

Aside: Sometimes I wonder if Thailand is on a slippery slope toward civil war, given the huge social class animosities which seem to be generating more violence.

As long as your parents avoid known troublespots they are unlikely to even notice that Thailand is having problems at all. They are more likely to notice that things are not as cheap as they expected on account of the pound falling heavy against the baht. I was living in Bangkok when Suchinda was trying to stay in power and people were getting shot on the streets ! Only a kilometer away from this awful scene people were doing their shopping without a thought of what was happening elsewhere. Life goes on.

With next week's planned invasion of Government House by pro-government civilian forces with the objective of throwing out PAD

when is this planned for?

btw has thailand ever had a civil war in the past?

Edited by girlx

Invasion of Government House, it was suppose to be yesterday, Salang Bunnag was to lead, he was seen in Chiang Mai. So I guess not this week.

Something is going on next week around Nov 1. IMO I would avoid places like, Government House, Rajamangala Stadium, Sanam Luang, ect. Possible more bloodshed soon or near future.

I would advise them to maybe take a couple of tours arranged through the hotel. I am sure they would not take people into harms way. Either that or one of the river boat cruises such as to Ayuthya.

I think the situation is tenuous and as tourists and newcomers, they could end up in harms way by accident.

My parents are coming to visit Thailand in a couple of weeks and are spending about 3 days in Bangkok at the hilton hotel near the river. I was just wondering what is the situation with the protests like now? I live in Chiang Mai so I don't know the extent of it. Is it safe or do you think it's best to avoid Bangkok, any suggestions would be appreciated!

If there is any violence during the next couple of weeks it will be between the two groups of protesters around Government House. Just advise your parents not to go to tourist attractions in that general area (Grand Palace, Wat Po, etc) and they'll be fine. Foreign tourists don't get killed in Thailand's coups and civil strife.

Might not count though as Siam and not Thailand?

Exactly. The poster asked about Thailand, and the nation state of Thailand is only around 100 years old. Prior to that there were all kinds of wars among the princedoms, kingdoms, and fiefdoms that occupied what is now known as Thailand.

Foreign tourists don't get killed in Thailand's coups and civil strife.

Actually a number of foreign tourists were killed in the Black May massacre by the army in 1992. One (although not strictly a tourist) was given a royal-sponsored funeral, I believe

The fact that the shooting occurred so close to the Grand Palace and Khao San probably increased the risk for foreigners.

In answer to the OP, stay away from any large protests. They can turn ugly very quickly, even though the chance of this is small.

Actually a number of foreign tourists were killed in the Black May massacre by the army in 1992. One (although not strictly a tourist) was given a royal-sponsored funeral, I believe

According to the sources I've read, New Zealander Ian Neumegen was the only foreigner killed during Black May, and he was not a tourist. He had lived in Thailand 14 years, ordaining as a monk at Wat Bowonniwet Vihara for 2 years and then residing there as a lay volunteer after he disrobed. It was because he lived at the temple that he was in the protest area the day he was shot.

According to the sources I've read, New Zealander Ian Neumegen was the only foreigner killed during Black May, and he was not a tourist. He had lived in Thailand 14 years, ordaining as a monk at Wat Bowonniwet Vihara for 2 years and then residing there as a lay volunteer after he disrobed. It was because he lived at the temple that he was in the protest area the day he was shot.

Indeed I can't find anything else other than NZ tourist, Brendan Mahoney, shot in the stomach and chest while jogging and surviving. (probably the same Ron Morris article you are quoting).

I am probably guilty of repeating an urban myth. A number of Thais have told me of foreigners, in the plural, being shot. With the highly secretive response of the authorities, particularly military, over this issue, information is scant. The military or government have never acknowledged the true number (hundreds) of missing. Nor have they revealed where the bodies were disposed of. Is the crocodile farm another urban myth or not?

Its surreal, living in central Bkk I wouldn't know about any of this without a newspaper or TV. Probably the most dangerous part of the trip will be the flight and Fx`booth

Edited by zorro1

btw has thailand ever had a civil war in the past?

Actually by the strictest definition of civil war, yes there has been, with as many as three factions battling each other for control of the government in the 1940s.

In the first 16 years after the 1932 revolution, there were 28 different administrations. Thailand - then Siam - saw more political violence in that era than we are seeing now. Much of it was covered up, ie, newspapers (including the BKK Post) were typically closed down for several days. If you search the news archives of the time, however, you can still find descriptions of armed skirmishes on the streets of Bangkok, as in for example Pridi's failed Palace Rebellion in 1949, when the marines fought the army. In other cases two or more factions of the military have fought each other in or near Bangkok. Then of course there was Nawaphon and Red Gaur against student and worker federations in the 70s. The basic cycles and patterns of coup/constitution/election/protest coup we see today started in 1947 and have continued on an average of every seven years ever since.

I'd advise visitors to avoid Bangkok until 1) Parliament is dissolved and new elections are held or 2) there's another coup. Either way the solution is only temporary (unless the Thais can forge a new and different system; no bets on that happening anytime soon :o ). Or remind visitors that coup and protest are two of the most enduring national sports.

There was 80,000 UDD protesters at the Rajamangala National Stadium on saturday and I live almost next to it.. I went out with a red shirt not knowing about the whole thing. Amusing.. it was a chill-out day despite all the people. So, even in the center of happenings it's really nothing.

• 1 month later...

i'm leaving for my yearly trip to bangkok this sunday on the 4th of jan 08 from spore.

With the current protests, can anyone living in bangkok pls update me with the current situation and most importantly if its safe or not in their most honest opinion, albeit the fact that anything can change anytime?!

any help would be very much appreciated!

Stay away from the gov't house area and you should be fine. I think they are going to stop for the New Year's Holiday and then start afterwards again.

I wouldn't worry, just a little bit vigilant.

Have a good holiday.